.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM

Corporal

AAshbery76 is on a distinguished road
Default A.I Diplomacy!

Will there be some sophisticated A.I diplomacy in Dom3?

The first Dom game had no A.I diplomacy at all and just seemed a multiplayer game in general,and was the reason I never purchased the game.I'm wondering if the single player experience has been improved.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A.I Diplomacy!

AFAIK there wont be diplomacy....but at least the will be improved. :-)

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:23 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

There's nothing to improve, as there's not Ai diplomacy by design

The game can only be won by 1 player. Not more, not less. 1 will be the last one standing.

All that diplomacy and treaties and victory conditions that you find in the MP games are just there to shorten the game. Yeah - shorten the game, because in most cases the human players will agree about a winner 20-40 turns before there's only one dominion left on the map.
In SP, you don't need that: Either you have fun hunting down the last AI unit, or you can declare yourself winner as soon as it is obvious that even a string of bad events can't keep you from winning.

So no need for the devs to do all that coding work to put in AI diplomacy (and an AI that is awary of it ..) which would only open up a whole new can of worms - or bugs ...
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im mostly a solo player and have asked about diplomacy also.
Most of what diplomacy would give us can be done. The only thing Id like to see is that the AI maybe recognize if I sent him gifts. A "friendship level" maybe that would hold off war if I dont attack him.

But appareantly there are a ton of other things that will improve solo play. AI improvments, random maps, more events.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

Just remember:

Quote:
An already challenging AI made even more challenging. If you can't handle the unrelenting computer player, you can always try your hand at playing against humans with Dominions 3 robust multiplayer suite.
You are all going to have to start playing mp games
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road

I'm mostly interested in AI changes; i.e., does the AI use ritual spells more effectively?, does it recruit less of the cheaper units and more of the stronger units?, does it make better use of combat spells? (like no breath of winter killing my own guys), does it pay more attention to supply?, does it make better decisions about what provinces to attack?, does it make better use of its gems in combat and on the strategic map, etc. I know it now builds castles, and I'm very glad to hear that. But I think the other aspects will mean more to the overall AI capabilities.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oversway said:

Just remember:

Quote:
An already challenging AI made even more challenging. If you can't handle the unrelenting computer player, you can always try your hand at playing against humans with Dominions 3 robust multiplayer suite.
You are all going to have to start playing mp games
Yeah right. Like I havent heard that all thru Dom1 and Dom2.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DominionsFAN said:
AFAIK there wont be diplomacy....but at least the will be improved. :-)
I forgot a word, "AI"...:-) So the AI will be improved, we know that the AI castle building problem will be solved so far, and thats good, however hopefully other parts of the AI weaknesses will be fixed as well, lets wait and see.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah right. Like I havent heard that all thru Dom1 and Dom2.
Third time's a charm