.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Can't find a game? How to organise one on the Llamaserver

So, you've come to the MP forum to try to find a game to join, but there's nothing suitable. What to do? Organise your own! The community relies on people arbitrarily taking the initiative to organise games. This is particularly the case for newbie games, since veterans will rarely think to organise one. So please, if you're a new player, go ahead and organise a newbie game, as you'll almost always get some takers and they will appreciate it.

So, here's how to organise a game. I should emphasise that most of this is common sense. I don't want to make it seem too formal - if you play it by ear you'll be fine. But reading this may just make it a little smoother.

The first thing to do is to decide how the game's going to be hosted. If you are happy with PBEM (play-by-email), the LlamaServer (www.llamaserver.net, and read this) provides an easy option (obviously there is heavy bias in saying that, since it's my server!). Another option is Gandalf's network (direct-connect) server, which mass-creates many games and leaves them available for signup* or lch's network server, which hosts game on request (just send a PM). Special games can also be hosted on request. The final option is to host it yourself - the manual has good instructions on this, p.29-32 (at least in my manual).

Right, now you need to gather some players! Create a new thread for your game. Call it something like "Rabbit - EA Game - Recruiting". There, Rabbit is the name of the game. Feel free to use something more dramatic. Now, this first post needs to include all the details of the game:
- How often you want the turns to go**
- Number of players (if you have a firm idea)
- Mods (if any)***
- Non-standard settings (graphs off? research on difficult? there are lots and lots of interesting possibilities for different games)
- Victory conditions (if any)
- Diplomacy policy (are treaties considered unbreakable, or is this a Machiavellian world?)
- Which race you want to play (you get first choice)!

Now, wait for people to sign up. Generally they'll choose a race as they sign up. You should keep editing the first post to keep an up-to-date list of nations and who's playing them, so people can keep track of which nations have been taken.

Once everyone's in, start the game. Then you just have two things to keep in mind. Firstly, you should check your thread regularly in case anyone has posted to say they have to go away for a weekend or something. If that happens you'll probably want to pause hosting so they don't miss any turns. The second thing to remember is to pass on your responsibilities if you get knocked out! Experience has shown that very few people can really continue to keep track of a game once they've been knocked out, and it's far better to have someone else take over from you (i.e. give them the LlamaServer admin password, or tell them they should contact Gandalf in case of problems if using his server).

Okay, that's it! Easy. Lots and lots of gaming fun to be had.

Here are a couple of expansions. You may also find this thread useful. It has the same intention as this one, but makes more suggestions about things you could vary, which could make for many interesting and different games.

* - You can check for open games on Gandalf's server here:
Dom3 Demo Games
Blitz Games
CBM mod Games
Players vs AI Games
Chaos Games
Mid-Sized Games

** - It's common to have turns processing on 24 hour quickhost for the first 20-30 turns. 24 hour quickhost means each turn will host 24 hours after the last one, or when everyone's turns are in, whichever is sooner. After that people often change to 48-hour quickhost and then sometimes to 72 in very late game. Other games, though, may start with longer timers from the beginning, if they are designed for busy players.

*** - I recommend mods. They are awesome. For one thing, consider the Conceptual Balance mod, which changes the balance of many many things, with the intention of making more options in the game useful. Finally you can summon Fire Drakes without knowing with a sad certainty that you're wasting your gems. Also lots of the nation mods are truly excellent. Have a play with Arga Dis or Skaven some time.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs

Last edited by lch; December 14th, 2008 at 09:51 PM..
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to llamabeast For This Useful Post:
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can't find a game? How to organise one

Any comments on this are very welcome.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

I appreciate your prominently suggesting people post the turn frequency up front. As one of the slower players, that's usually the first thing I look for and often fail to find.
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

I just took the leap, Llama server is easy to use. Thanks Llama

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can't find a game? How to organise one on the Llamaserver

I don't know where else to post these, so I'll post here. As I have created games with the llamaserver I've noticed some buggy behaviour with mods. I'll tell of these bugs and their workarounds in this post.

Nation mod bug:

Sometimes llamaserver will not accept a pretender for a mod nation, complaining that it is for the "wrong age". This happened with dwarves in the game "Dramatica". The reason was that the dwarf mod was using somehow "wrong" nation number, when I changed the dwarf nation number to match "Arga Dis" (llamaserver MA nation mod), the llamaserver accepted the pretender.

Workaround: Change the nationnumbers of the problematic nations to match Arga Dis, Nehekhara or other llamaserver mod nations set to that era.

Single age mod nations bug;

This bug just ate 4 most frustating hours of my life as I set up the "Legendary Ordeals" game. The current version of the "Single Age" mod that llamaserver uses sets all mod nation slots to era 0, basically disabling them. Why? Beats me. And no, you can't upload and use a fixed version of the single-age mod, you must use the one that llamaserver provides. This means that single age games won't accept pretenders for mod nations, complaining that they are for the "Wrong Age".

Workaround: Change the mod so that the mod nations overwrite vanilla nation numbers instead of using the numbers over 75 normally reserved for mod nations.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:57 AM

Sergeant

Szumo is on a distinguished road

How to actually pause a game? Will setting host interval to 0 do it?
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I don't know what setting it to zero would do but I think typically people enter a very high value for the hosting interval if they want to put the game on hold (probably also turn off quickhost). Not sure what the upper limit is for hosting interval but you could try putting in something in the thousands.
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM

Private

atlante is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm fairly new at Domonion 3 and must say that I love the llamaserver concept. I am already playing in two games with my friends.

However, and this question may have been asked before, but is there a way to insert a few AI opponents in such game (meaning with llamaserver)? Other than changing losing players into AI?

Many thanks for your guidance.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The LLamaServer is a great Dom3 server. It is menu driven and Play-by-EMail. For games outside of the menu I think you need to use the other server Dom3Minions.

You can get AI opponents. Also you can get AI's that are randomly picked, AI's that are allied against you, AIs playing modded nations, AIs playing with boosts beyond what you can get in most solo game.
Or anything else you can come up with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post: