.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 9th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MapGen v0.52 RELEASE

are you talking about the manysites terrain type, or the other new sites terrain types, or something like what ballbarian is doing? the magic site terrain types will make it in eventually.

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

Theres something I can't resolve. Castles and army icons look too big. When I want to tweak this by psize string the map lose shape. It looks confusing as province borders are set bigger but sprites do not.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Sergeant

yes, sizing the map properly can be a bit of a hassle. as of now, you would have to scale the psize, tsize, zoom etc with the dimensions of the map. to keep the same look/feel of the default settings, if you were to double the dimensions (for example) you would double all of the distance related arguments, except for zoom, which would be halved. think of the dimensions of the map as a window. changing the size of the window allows you to see more. zoom represents the distance from the landscape you are viewing. i originally had all of the settings dependent upon the zoom, but decided to change it so that terrain/province sizes were not too dependent upon heightmap. perhaps a command to scale arguments from default depending on map dimensions would help?

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

Old March 15th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Sergeant

Default Re: new map generator

anyone out there created any interesting maps to share? i'm eager to see what everyone is using this thing for

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

Old March 15th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Sergeant

btw: i am developing new algorithms for various aspects of the map generation which will lead to dramatically increased speed (i think) and greater control over terrain generation. i anticipate that things such as number of landmasses, number of oceans, island, island chain, peninsula, lakes, mountain and river borders will be able to be defined by the user through the scripting functionality. the wonderful this is that this increased functionality should actually decrease the running time of the map generation, which will mainly be achieved by making calculations less dependent on the dimensions of the map and more on the features that are being placed in it. i will have more on this later as i move through implementing the ground work for it.

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

Actually, whatever you did last time, the speed is now very good.

OTOH, better control over the water is exactly what I need. I've attached a script file which gives reasonable results. I've found that by setting the water level down somewhat, the pthresh up quite high, and the water provinces the same size as the land provinces, I *mostly* avoid the problem I had before - a small number of water provinces with way too many neighbors.

The maps still require some cleanup. You can see a list of change in the file "cleanup.txt".

I've also attached the sprites that Frank made me, which make reasonably handsome terrain. The script I've included uses them.

Anyway, it takes a couple hours to make a good, ~400 provinces mp map, including the post cleanup. What you need to do is find all the provinces with >9 neighbors and fiddle with the borders.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 504339-390mp.zip (6.81 MB, 84 views)
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Major General

Okay, here are the additional scripting commands I want:

I want three or four more "terrain types" named custom1 through custom4. They can have a default tchance of 0.

tchance ter #
Alters the chance that a given terrain is seeded.

tmask ter <bitmask>
Alters the bitmask associated with a given terrain. Should work for mountain and ocean as well.

terfeature ter <site #>
Anytime this terrain is assigned to a province, the site is also placed in that province.

obias ter <value>
I don't know how you're going to be placing wastes-far-from-ocean, but whatever value is used for that bias should be adjustable on a per-terrain basis.

Combined, these will enable me to do deserts (waste + desert site, usually not coastal), tundras (waste + tundra site, can be coastal) and jungles (forest + swamp + jungle site, often coastal.)

Thanks! The last map is working quite nicely.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I might have missed it someplace but other than some small spatterings in this thread, I dont see anyplace in the documentation that lists the commands.

Are there any that arent listed in the debug.txt?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Sergeant

@drP

like the ideas. i hadnt thought about expanding on the terrain types yet, but i'll keep it in mind so that i don't have to rework everything later.

btw, could you expound on tmask ter #? nt sure what youre looking for here

@gandalf

i didnt list the commands in the readme because i set up a web page listing them. i'm a bit lazy, so you'll have to forgive me. you can find most of the commands here.
the commands that i've added since v0.50 are in the changelog, i havent gotten around to updating the site on account of school sucking at my soul, but it'll be updated eventually.

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Major General

Well, right now, if a province contains a lot of forest, it's bitmask gets bitwise-or 96.

Well, suppose you don't want forests - you want magic-site-richness. Or smallness. Or waste+swamp.

You could go
#tmask forest 96

And anything that the mapgen assigns as "forest" would now be swamp+waste (mask 96) instead of forest (mask 128.)

There are any number of reasons why you might want to swap out the existing terrain types for other combinations; I'm working under the assumption that this would be easy to code - if not, don't worry about it.