This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default OT: District 9

Just got back from seeing it. Great movie. Nice to see a sci-fi flick that not only was an original IP, but amazingly only cost $30 mil to make. Look at the dreck the big boys with triple digit budgets release.

And hey, weaponized pig! Awesome.
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: OT: District 9

I saw it today as well. It was enjoyable.
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: District 9

At this point I am averse to giving them 1 cent of my money for the ridiculous viral marketing campaign they plastered all over the world for the last year.
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Can you give us a spoiler on it? Whats it about? I have seen the previews and it looks interesting but I have no clue whats its really about.
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen it but it looks like alien refugees land on earth and are sequestered into a special ghetto, and after being subjected to discrimination, profiling, restriction of freedom and crap we learn the real monster... is.... MAN! dudundun... But then they probably do add in a twist like they all get sick and die because they aren't immune to earth pathogens...

BTW I totally called that ***** in orphan being a midget, first preview I saw "yea, it's a midget", and bang, went to a spoiler, sure enough...
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Manatee View Post
I haven't seen it but it looks like alien refugees land on earth and are sequestered into a special ghetto, and after being subjected to discrimination, profiling, restriction of freedom and crap we learn the real monster... is.... MAN!
The movie was written and directed by a South African, and takes place in South Africa, so you can run with your theory but put it through the lens of what occurred in South Africa...
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Sergeant

Santiago is on a distinguished road

Saw it yesterday and it's really pretty good as I didn't have a clue what to expect.

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) wanted to do a Halo movie with Neill Blomkamp directing. Fox, Universal and Microsoft couldn't agree. So Jackson- to make it up to Blomkamp turned Blomkamp's short "Alive in Joburg" into a feature length film.

It starts out as a documentary style film. Twenty years earlier a ship appears over Johannesburg and humans have to break in. The aliens are settled in a camp below the ship. Present day- The aliens are going to be forcibly resettled out of the city and the central character is charged to do it. The evil humans want access to their technology especially their weapons.

As far as Apartheid goes, the eviction and relocation of the aliens is based on District Six, a former inner-city residential area in Cape Town, South Africa. The district was declared a 'whites only' area by the apartheid government in 1966 and the population of 60,000 forcibly removed to Cape Flats, 25 kilometres away during the following years.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

I looked on the wiki page for the movie and I was pretty much right, only the twist was Kafkaesque... Seems like a pretty round about way to re-tell the metamorphosis... I mean you can't just have a white guy wake up a black guy in the actual apartheid, you HAVE to use bugs and spaceships and robots... sounds weak...
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road
Tongue Re: OT: District 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyron View Post
At this point I am averse to giving them 1 cent of my money for the ridiculous viral marketing campaign they plastered all over the world for the last year.

Yeah, sucks how cleverly they got that to work, huh?

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Sergeant

Artaud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Saw it yesterday and it's really pretty good as I didn't have a clue what to expect...

As far as Apartheid goes, the eviction and relocation of the aliens is based on District Six, a former inner-city residential area in Cape Town, South Africa. The district was declared a 'whites only' area by the apartheid government in 1966 and the population of 60,000 forcibly removed to Cape Flats, 25 kilometres away during the following years.
I was going to point these things out, but you've pretty much nailed it. The use of 'law' to sanction brutality was a hallmark of the apartheid regime.

I thought it was a great movie. I'm pleased that many of the extras were residents of Soweto, which still is a poor area.

Aside from that, the aliens have some of the #@#&ing coolest weapons I've ever seen in a sci-fi movie!