.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 16th, 2016, 11:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Preventing AI Suicide?

It's been discussed before in the pass but we might bounce it around again
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Preventing AI Suicide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDuke99 View Post
...(in fact I actually think it would probably be better if all AI vehilcles were restricted to half speed or less).
You should purchase infantry & vehicles separately. In the Editor, reduce speed of vehicles (use Pyro's tutorial in advanced waypoints) and position the vehicles approximately. Then, apply waypoints.

Not sure, but this may get what you're after.

=====
The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:28 AM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

Not suggesting this be done or can, just speculation, but in recent patch details it was mentioned that APC code was tweaked so they would tend to retire behind dropped off Infantry to support them.
What if tanks in an Infantry support role were classed as APC and organic to the Infantry formation (like most APC equipped formations) would they follow behind and support better? Would it require more unit types or could an editor or preference option switch armor from Infantry Support code to Armor Advance?
The Following User Says Thank You to jp10 For This Useful Post:
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road

I think the way the AI handles an infantry + armour attack is the least realistic thing in the game.

If the Brits are the AI side in WWII an infantry + armour attack can more or less work, if you place the tanks a bit behind the infantry to start with, and they are very slow Infantry Tanks like the Matilda or Churchill.

The ideal solution would be something like a 'assault speed' for the AI, that set all vehicles on the AI side to a certain speed at random: perhaps slow = 8, medium = 12 and fast = actual maximum speed?

Failing that maybe half maximum speed for any AI vehicle that can move faster than 8 and full speed for those with a maximum of 8 or less?

The main thing, to me, would be to keep AI leg infantry + armour (mainly in WWII) or APC/IFV + tank speeds (mainly MBT) to something reasonably close to each other?

Not sure what is possible in terms of code and/or amount of work required?

Last edited by IronDuke99; November 16th, 2016 at 12:09 PM..
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
...(in fact I actually think it would probably be better if all AI vehilcles were restricted to half speed or less).
You should purchase infantry & vehicles separately. In the Editor, reduce speed of vehicles (use Pyro's tutorial in advanced waypoints) and position the vehicles approximately. Then, apply waypoints.

=====

Yep, true, I know you can do that but it is a lot of f...g about in a large scenario.

I will, sometimes, in a small scenario, -and I tend to use scenario editor more than I use anything else in this game- change all the AI vehicles speeds, but, as I said that is a great deal of messing around for one battle in anything larger than a infantry battalion sized action.

Last edited by IronDuke99; November 16th, 2016 at 12:07 PM..
Old November 16th, 2016, 01:22 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:

=====
Yes in a scenario but it is impractical in a generated campaign

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2016, 03:51 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

This is hard thing to code as I think the AI looks at units individualy rather than the tactical picture.
I agree has a tendency to rush head long to destruction but sometimes it does otherwise.
Slows to what I call combat speed or becomes stationary or a combination of the two.
Nearing victory hexes seems to modify behaviour in my opinion causing slowing/unloading.
If possible perhaps something like a check to see if any freindly units within XX range have been fired on or wrecked.

Other possible option would be the ability to "crosstag" formations.
Assign tank formation to infantry formation & it trys to shadow & support with the usual randomness thrown in.
Serious work if possible I would think as picklists would need to factor in the ability at purchase for the AI to decide which if any formations its going to mate.

Trouble is again so many variables you cant just set vehicles to move slow sometimes you want the speed otherwise it would not be a factor in vehicle design.
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:24 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Preventing AI Suicide?

This subject is way beyond setting reaction turn values. If you want CS tanks to support infantry in the game or IFV's there's a lot of effort involved. There are a number of threads on this subject, here is one to get started: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...38&postcount=1.

=====
The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2016, 12:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Trouble is again so many variables you cant just set vehicles to move slow sometimes you want the speed otherwise it would not be a factor in vehicle design.
Agreed, but the trouble is the AI cannot use it with any common sense, so, IMHO, it would be better if AI vehicles all just moved more slowly. Another thing that might help a little would be to make AI tanks, etc start well behind any leg infantry. Again I have no idea if this is possible in terms of code, or work required...
Old November 18th, 2016, 01:16 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Maybe something as "simple" as a slider that effects vehicle speeds like the range slider effects weapon firing ranges?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post: