Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Mods
Notices

Old February 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suhiir's Revised USMC OOB #13

New version of my USMC OOB (#13).
Attached Files
File Type: zip obat013.zip (31.2 KB, 184 views)

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Here is the revised iraqi OOB I made.It has iraqi troops armed with M16s, Stryker and a lot of other changes which would be useful for a near future scenarios, as well as ones set during OIF, GW1, arab israeli wars etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Obat017.zip (24.2 KB, 146 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcello For This Useful Post:
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Not had a look at yet but just a thought if setting up a scenerio with new formations, now they have had some Western training give them experience modifiers or turn off troop quality & set manually.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanks Marcello !
I'll have to include your revised Iraq OOB with my revised USMC one for the campaign I'm working on.
Do you have any objections to that?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Thanks Marcello !
I'll have to include your revised Iraq OOB with my revised USMC one for the campaign I'm working on.
Do you have any objections to that?
No problem
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Private

Jaakko is on a distinguished road

I've been trying this out for a few days now and found it good so far. My eyes caught a couple of things I'd like to hear an explanation for. Firstly, the increased range of M16s. Secondly, the reduced range of .50 MGs. The first is not so much of a problem but the second gives an unwanted advantage to other OOBs, unless the other OOBs' .50/12,7mm MGs are reduced to 32 as well. The 32 hex range "feels" more realistic and less arbitrary than the standard 40, but I need to be convinced before I go through the trouble of changing it in all the other OOBs I'm playing with/against.
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaakko View Post
I've been trying this out for a few days now and found it good so far. My eyes caught a couple of things I'd like to hear an explanation for. Firstly, the increased range of M16s. Secondly, the reduced range of .50 MGs. The first is not so much of a problem but the second gives an unwanted advantage to other OOBs, unless the other OOBs' .50/12,7mm MGs are reduced to 32 as well. The 32 hex range "feels" more realistic and less arbitrary than the standard 40, but I need to be convinced before I go through the trouble of changing it in all the other OOBs I'm playing with/against.
M16's
1) Game standards are that all "assault rifles" (anything 7.61mm or less) have a range of 8 (400m). "Battle Rifles" (7.62mm+) usually have a range of 10 (500m).
2) The US Army (on which all USMC weapons data is based) only requires its people to qualify at a max of 300m (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) with the M16. The USMC requires them to do so at 500m (and if they can't they can actually be discharged for unsuitability). To the best of my knowledge no other military force in the world (other then of course sniper types) requires such standards, and ranges of basic marksmanship.
3) The official range of the M16A1 is 460m, the M16A2 500m, not sure about the M16A4 but probably 500m as well.
4) The USMC has a tradition of, reputation for, and in fact requires, marksmanship as a basic trait in all Marines. "Every Marine is a rifleman" is not something they pay mere lip service to. Cooks, clerks, and in fact regimental commanders are required - required - to quality once a year with an M16.

All that said I increased the range of the M16A1 to 9 (450m) and the M16A2/A4 to 10 (500m). It's not such an advantage as you may think, it may give them the first shot occasionally, but not that often. More to give a "USMC flavor" to the OOB and make it unique. It may also slightly increase their chance to hit at lesser ranges (my tests have been inconclusive on this) but that's fine - marksmanship 101 should be a USMC OOB trait.

.50 cal HMG's
Actually if you look you'll see that only weapons on pintel/anti-aircraft mounts have a range of 32, those on tripods with T&E's (traversing and elevation) mechanisms are still at 40.
The reasoning is simple - on a tripod with a T&E the official, and actual effective range of the .50 cal is 2000m. A free gun on a pintel mount has 80% of that range (i.e. 32). You'll see the same exact logic and range ratio in the MMGs as well.
You'll see the same thing in many - but not all - OOBs. One of the little "issues" (not a bug, nothing broken just...annoying) with WinSPMBT that may be somewhere near the bottom of Andy and Dons "to fix" list somewhere.
I'll admit this is something of a problem as the other OOBs tend to give all HMGs a range of 40...but...really, how many HMGs do you see in the game? More then you would in reality (just like many times games have more tanks then reality) but it's not usually that big a problem.

Glad you're finding my revised OOB interesting, hopefully it gives a "USMC flavor" to your battles, they're not just "US Army Lite" *grinz*

Last edited by Suhiir; June 8th, 2010 at 03:09 PM..
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
2) The US Army (on which all USMC weapons data is based) only requires its people to qualify at a max of 300m (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) with the M16. The USMC requires them to do so at 500m (and if they can't they can actually be discharged for unsuitability). To the best of my knowledge no other military force in the world (other then of course sniper types) requires such standards, and ranges of basic marksmanship.
British army rifle qualification was done out to 500 yards with the 7.62 SLR fitted with iron sights (none of this telescope malarkey) was standard. That was back in the mid 1970's when I did my "steam gunnery", I have no idea what they do with the new 5.56 rifle.

Ah the joys of range duty - including recovering some not too bent rounds, and popping those in the holes in the figure 80 target on a recruit's qualifying shoot. When he came up to inspect it, he was advised to squeeze the trigger harder since the rounds were not making it through the paper !. Usually got at least one who fell for that wind-up hook line and sinker...

Cheers
Andy
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
British army rifle qualification was done out to 500 yards with the 7.62 SLR fitted with iron sights (none of this telescope malarkey) was standard. That was back in the mid 1970's when I did my "steam gunnery", I have no idea what they do with the new 5.56 rifle.

Ah the joys of range duty - including recovering some not too bent rounds, and popping those in the holes in the figure 80 target on a recruit's qualifying shoot. When he came up to inspect it, he was advised to squeeze the trigger harder since the rounds were not making it through the paper !. Usually got at least one who fell for that wind-up hook line and sinker...

Cheers
Andy
I stand corrected!
Seems "modern" armies have decided "volume of fire" via the assault rifles is preferred over "accuracy of fire". I know during WW II most armies expected accurate fire at 5, 6, even 800 yards.

Love the bit with the not to bent rounds in the paper! One I never heard before.

Old June 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Lieutenant General

Upgrade to v5.0

The attached OOB is the update to my USMC OOB revision to compatibility (as far as is possible) with WinSPMBT v5.0.
Attached Files
File Type: zip obat013.zip (31.0 KB, 143 views)