Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old October 9th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feature requests for 2019

Just an observation, why not just increase the artillery effectiveness in the preferences? That would seem to be the solution right? I play at 100% but for some people it can be different.

It says in the manual...

This game cannot be all things to all people. There are far too many differing opinions on what is 'realistic' and what makes a fun playable game. Satisfying one segment of gamers is sure to alienate another. Also, please define 'realistic', that is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' debates. To some folk, realism is micro details of millimetres of armour and exact slope angles, or how much extra water an Italian division needs to boil pasta (as factored in one actual cardboard wargame!), or the exact model of bolt action rifle carried. Generally, those who worry about micro details like armour angles and exact thickness in millimetres tend to be from the civilian 'armchair general' side of the fence. Those with real military experience tend to define realism in terms of command and control, and how much intelligence is given away for free, 'fog of war' factors. Military-experienced folk worry less about exact rifle type, and more about morale, training and leadership of their men. Armchair types worry about exact TO&E charts, and declare a game 'unrealistic' if the supplied formation is not to the exact field regs, and not at 100% strength. Military folk would be amazed to find a unit anywhere near 'paper' strength, and with all its vehicles present on the battlefield as 'runners' rather than being in the repair shop, broken down in a ditch on the approach march, or just plain lost or skiving!

During playtesting we encountered this on more than one occasion where some would say a game feature was too little, some would say too much and some would say it's just right. (We knew we had finally reached middle ground when 'angels on pin heads' type debates started).

When SSI originally released Steel Panthers 2 they included a Preferences Screen to allow the end user the ability to modify various elements of the game to suit individual tastes and abilities. We have noticed from our e-mails that many people quite simply do not understand the functions of this screen or how it can change the game to suit your particular style of play, or even that it exists, in some cases. We have had a multitude of "suggestions" ( or in a couple of cases "bug" reports!) for code changes that can actually be made simply by adjusting a control in Player preferences.

We have made the preferences screen available from more points in the game now, this is both because it can be handy to turn some things, for example- individual unit ID tags, on or off, but also, some end users may just notice the new buttons :-> !

Reality settings are your call, not another person's. Tweak these settings until you get the game performing the way you like it, should you find the default settings unrealistic, or too easy or too hard. Of course, in a PBEM game, you may find you may need to discuss these matters with your prospective opponent!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Felix Nephthys For This Useful Post:
Old October 9th, 2018, 08:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Nephthys View Post
Just an observation, why not just increase the artillery effectiveness in the preferences? That would seem to be the solution right? I play at 100% but for some people it can be different.

It says in the manual...
Arty is fine against troops NOT dug-in IMHO so wouldn't want to upset the balance otherwise. The advice given by yourself and others is sound; the game cannot be all things to all people and there are ways to use arty below 155mm effectively to suppress, possibly rout dug-in units.

No doubt I'm being persnickity but my particular objection is to a mere 3 millimeters of difference which excludes the Russian 152mm from that caliber of arty which CAN cause casualties in this situation. As zovs66 notes, "when I can afford 155, they are devastating to the Germans, its almost like cheating when I hit a dug-in area for 3-8 turns and then walk up and kill off the rest." So if 155mm is devastating, 152mm is not?

At any rate the game is great the way it is, wouldn't want to mess it up with incessant fiddling over personal pet peeves. Thanks for your kind consideration folks and have a great day. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old October 9th, 2018, 08:52 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

When playing as the Germans I like to buy 105s and as the Brits it’s 25 pounders and as Russians I buy 122s they all work well for me. Perhaps you can run a test and try upping the arty to 125% and 150% to see what devastation that can cause?

I use it at 100%, and for 4-8 or more turns.
Old October 9th, 2018, 10:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
Perhaps you can run a test and try upping the arty to 125% and 150% to see what devastation that can cause?

I use it at 100%, and for 4-8 or more turns.
Not interested in upping arty (also use it at 100% as with all other preferences) since IMO it's fine against infantry in the open or in regular terrain cover and buildings.

Since dug-in infantry, often armor, come out of their foxholes or prepared positions in most assaults once you've taken enough VPs, the case for under-155mms being able to inflict casualties on dug-in troops is rather moot. Just a suggestion that nobody else seems to support.

Feedback wins the day, and I concede the point.
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:42 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Here is another request.

In the editor can we get some added functionality for the visibility button?

Like when you hold down or click up to change the value it scrolls up and down for a value without releasing the button.

So for example it starts at 70 by default but I have to press it 61 times to set the visibility to 11.

Or a field to key in a value?
Old October 12th, 2018, 06:03 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Feature requests for 2019

Important future ability in scenarios

Weather effect’s

That is possible now of course by manipulation of visibility during scenario creation but will be great to have button in editor with some prepared weather configurations now we need table. Something like rain, sunny day, night with fog etc. During play of the game will be great to have small part of panel showing what type of weather we have as a graphics or as text for example: rainy day short visibility 30hex or as a sound played on the beginning of every turn. The best will be to have dynamics weather effects like scenario designer can for example prepared rain after turn 12 until turn 30 that will be a game changer in some scenarios. Of course that last will be not trivial task to coding but will made game more interesting and challenging if will be used.
Old October 12th, 2018, 06:16 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

Well I would really enjoy a slider in preferences to adjust artillery suppression I think casualties is about right at 100.
Old October 12th, 2018, 06:32 AM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road

I have a feeling that unspotted AI units are completely unaffected by artillery fire. I have several times put a barrage in an area, and when I reach it the next turn with my troops, I spot enemy infantry in ready status. Is it my imagination or could it be a bug?
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherCub View Post
I have a feeling that unspotted AI units are completely unaffected by artillery fire. I have several times put a barrage in an area, and when I reach it the next turn with my troops, I spot enemy infantry in ready status. Is it my imagination or could it be a bug?
No bug. Countless times I've bombarded certain hexes "blind" just ahead of forward infantry ("beaters). Most of the time, if my infantry haven't been too suppressed by their own barrage, they advance to find mostly suppressed enemy units. This generally occurs with a rolling barrage along a specific frontage. The arty is plotted about every 100 meters about 150-200 meters ahead of the forward infantry along the front. (That's with medium mortars; 81/82mm. Heavier stuff is targeted further ahead.)

Of course there's always the chance that an unspotted plot will miss its intended destination, in which case there's a fair chance the enemy will still be OK. Stuff happens. Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old October 15th, 2018, 06:25 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

Just a note on artillery fire effects. Have a good look at this site.

http://nigelef.tripod.com/wt_of_fire.htm

table 5 is what we are talking about here.

For a 25 pounder the table says that BEFORE you begin to have ANY effect on the Morale of troops you need to drop 100 rounds per minute of 25pdr for 15 minutes in 10000 sq yds. That is 25 shells per hex per turn.

I did this, I put 1945 German infantry in trenches and shelled them with a light batterie (48) this gives an average of 13 shells per 4 gun 119 artillery troop landing in the target hex, this gives the required weight of shot.

All the target squads were at 99 suppression at the end of 1 turn, ie 3 minutes, There should be NO morale effect until they have sat out 5 turns of this shelling.

The site also says this,

The morale and neutralisation data need to be treated with caution; the evidence for achieving the defined demoralisation in 15 minutes was based on a single operation, at Wesel, during the Rhine crossings. Before this it was thought that at least 4 hours were needed.

Artillery suppression effects (Or maybe suppression effects in General) in the game are WAY too high can we please have an artillery suppression effect adjuster in preferences or maybe make Artillery suppression conform to some real world Data?

This Super Suppression means Artillery is the answer to every problem in the game. I think it makes the game far too easy, Shell mop up, shell mop up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwikkiwik For This Useful Post: