Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default SBVIED use in Iraq

For Suuhiir and Fastboat; something from another forum I read:

Quote:
ISIS is using captured armor, such as M113s, as massive VBIEDs.

This is not usual, as in unexpected. As in nobody had weapons on hand capable of defeating armor. As someone who frequently guarded buildings in Iraq I can say I never saw any weapons on hand other than the occasional AT-4 that could have stopped an APC. Problem is that even if one was stopped (and any VBIED of that size would have totally fooked up whoever shot it with an AT-4), they came in on successive waves, up to 5 at a time, and no guard had a whole rack of such AT-4s. Iraqis don't even have a weapon as good as that, they have mostly bad RPGs, with about half the rounds being anti-personnel rounds.

So imagine you and your fire team are sitting on the room of a building, or manning some fighting positions, or sitting in a tower. You have three M4s, a SAW, a M320 GL, an AT-4 and some sort of larger crew served machine gun. You see an APC driving fast as fook right toward you. One of your dudes calls in the SPOT report on the radio as you ready the AT-4, all happening in seconds. You fire, take out the first one, a massive explosion blows your eardrums out and gives you a concussion, a long with your squad, and fooks up the fighting position, knocking everything all over the place. Ears bleeding, you look to see the BDA and you see a second APC driving through the debris from the blast, then a third, fourth, or fifth. What do you do now TL?

You are basically fooked. Even if you had air support by the time they get on station your position and all those behind it will be nothing more than chunks of rock and small bits of human pieces, that will be crawling with ISIS infantry that poured into the breach in company to battalion strength, who were following the VBIEDs in pick up trucks packed with dismounts. If that was an American unit guarding Ramadi, they would have seriously gotten fooked up, especially if they didn't have air support to come rescue them.

These type of tactics have never been used in Iraq, even against the US. They were used a bit in Syria lately and now we can see exactly how well they work when used in a properly coordinated plan. This stuff right here is kind of historic in warfare.
Revelant news Link

A long time ago; I tried to simulate VBIEDs in MBT; and a kind of workable effect was achieved here:

Unit Class: 11 - Armored Car (to get them to move real fast)
Move Class: 2 – Wheel
Available From: 1/89 to 12/120 (1989 to 2010)
Cost: TBD
Crew: 1 (driver)
Size: 0 (to simulate it being a civilian until it acts crazy)
Carry: 0 (only a nutcase would ride to battle in a suicide car)
Weight: 10
Speed: 40 (so that you can crank her up to 50+ MPH on a nice level stretch of road)
Swim: 0
EW: 0
Radio: 0 (They aren’t going to waste time with a radio on this guy)
Vision: 10 (so you can see your targets)
Fire Control: 99
Range Finder: 99
Stabilizer: 99
Survivability: 0
ROF: 6
Icon: 1948 (Sporty Red!)

(The excessive fire control/rangefinder/stabilizer ratings are to simulate the fact that the driver can steer the car into the target – the ultimate smart bomb)

Armor:
HF: 1
HS:0
HR:0
TF: 1
TS: 0
TR: 0
Top: 0

Armor is arranged as such to simulate the fact that the car's engine block and general mass will stop small arms fire from the front – requiring the use of .50 caliber HMGs to reliably stop suicide vehicles charging at you.

The unit has only one weapon – VBIED, with just one round, and the weapon is designed as such:

Weapon Class: 14 (Cluster)

Note: The cluster weapon class causes the suicide bomb to look “off” when it fires, but it does result in the vehicle being destroyed when it fires it’s weapon – a suicide car that survives it’s own car bomb would be even weirder.

Accuracy: 100 (due to suicide car driving it)
Weapon Size: 50
Warhead Size: 50
HE Pen: 3
HE Kill: 50
AP pen: 0
AP Kill: 0
Sabot Pen: 0
Sabot Range: 0
HEAT Pen: 0
Range: 1 (if you try doing a 0 range weapon it just won't work)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old June 2nd, 2015, 09:02 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SBVIED use in Iraq

Quote:
ISIS is using captured armor, such as M113s, as massive VBIEDs.

This is not usual, as in unexpected. As in nobody had weapons on hand capable of defeating armor. As someone who frequently guarded buildings in Iraq I can say I never saw any weapons on hand other than the occasional AT-4 that could have stopped an APC. Problem is that even if one was stopped (and any VBIED of that size would have totally fooked up whoever shot it with an AT-4), they came in on successive waves, up to 5 at a time, and no guard had a whole rack of such AT-4s. Iraqis don't even have a weapon as good as that, they have mostly bad RPGs, with about half the rounds being anti-personnel rounds.

So imagine you and your fire team are sitting on the room of a building, or manning some fighting positions, or sitting in a tower. You have three M4s, a SAW, a M320 GL, an AT-4 and some sort of larger crew served machine gun. You see an APC driving fast as fook right toward you. One of your dudes calls in the SPOT report on the radio as you ready the AT-4, all happening in seconds. You fire, take out the first one, a massive explosion blows your eardrums out and gives you a concussion, a long with your squad, and fooks up the fighting position, knocking everything all over the place. Ears bleeding, you look to see the BDA and you see a second APC driving through the debris from the blast, then a third, fourth, or fifth. What do you do now TL?

You are basically fooked. Even if you had air support by the time they get on station your position and all those behind it will be nothing more than chunks of rock and small bits of human pieces, that will be crawling with ISIS infantry that poured into the breach in company to battalion strength, who were following the VBIEDs in pick up trucks packed with dismounts. If that was an American unit guarding Ramadi, they would have seriously gotten fooked up, especially if they didn't have air support to come rescue them.

These type of tactics have never been used in Iraq, even against the US. They were used a bit in Syria lately and now we can see exactly how well they work when used in a properly coordinated plan. This stuff right here is kind of historic in warfare.

Revelant news Link
Great stuff MarkSheppard. This is why I like to read this guy. What the TL do, he scrams... like fast... but he should have put down claymores, and/or old trucks, concrete slaps, anything else that could be used as a barricade.

My bad.

------
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:32 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

A few suggestions.

Unit Class:56 (Ammo Carrier), no need for a weapon, when destroyed it blows up.

Size 1 not 0, even 1 is smaller then normal for a car (usually 2-3) and size 0 gives some hard-coded special bonuses intended primarily for snipers.

Weight 5-7, it's a car not an armored vehicle.

Vision = 0, really no need for night vision and wouldn't have any anyway.

Fire Control: 0, Range Finder: 0, Stabilizer: 0, has no weapons (other then itself) this no need for stats that improve it's chance to hit at range.

Armor, maybe HF=1 but definitely TF=0, not like it has a bullet proof glass.

If you feel the need for a weapon check OOB#17 (Iraq) Unit#991 Truck Bomb with Weapon#152 Fertiliser Bomb. Those things are the equilivent of a 2000# bomb. Ive had tanks 3 hexes away destroyed by one.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:55 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: SBVIED use in Iraq

I'm not seeing anything to unusual about this M113 though the driver is moving it along at about full speed. But here's a real video of one attacking an Iraqi position it looks like.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=12c_1428413041
Sad thing here is you can here those poor guys shooting at the M113 with their light weapons from that position it sounds like.
Definitely a straight up looks like an M113A2 with no add on armor package. Your right one helluva field terror weapon.

I don't know what their doing with the tanks they've captured and ISIS captured a bunch of them no ABRAM's that I'm aware of, however, as I've posted the Shia (Please pardon my spelling.) Militia does have them. Must be holding the tanks in reserve in the region of their "capital" though we've taken some of them out from the air by what's called an A-10 (Doesn't someone want to get rid of them!?!)

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; June 3rd, 2015 at 01:02 AM..
Old June 4th, 2015, 07:01 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: SBVIED use in Iraq

Following up with Suhiir's suggestion, I took two munitions trucks with armor according to an M113 in the front steel at 5 with side steel at 4, that's Armour hull 5[0], 4[0], 0[0].

Then, I placed a USMC hvy sniper team 1k mikes away. The sniper team took out the trucks. Light weapons had no effect, only the "light fifty" did the trick. The m-40 sniper rifle was useless, however, in gameplay at 700 meters, it will force the truck from advancing under AI control.

------
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind you can use the editor to change the unit stats and scenehack to alter icons. No real need to create new units, which would require a custom OOB. Just find one with the right Unit Class and alter it as needed.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein