.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

IndyPendant is on a distinguished road
Default *TWO PEOPLE* created (most of) this game?!?

Before I go nuts all over this, I just wanted to doublecheck my facts. : )

Is my post's title true?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: *TWO PEOPLE* created (most of) this game?!?

It was actually a team of highly coordinated sentient spiders wearing the stolen skin of two people.

But yes, I suppose.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Well that a surreal post Sombre

But yes, two people pretty much. I think Kristoffer's brother contributed a bit of content.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

What amazes me even more is that Kristoffer recently posted that summer vacation is over and he has to return to work. I was able to infer that he is teacher of some sorts. So not only did he write the game, he holds a job down also.

They must have longer days in Sweden than they do in PA. Probably has something to do with the midnight sun or the tall, leggy, beautiful blondes. I'm quite a bit short on both so I really cannot figure it out on my own.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edratman said:They must have longer days in Sweden than they do in PA. Probably has something to do with the midnight sun or the tall, leggy, beautiful blondes.
I put it down to long cold winters myself and the fact that all those tall, leggy, beautiful blondes clear off to the Mediterranean when they realise thats where the sun hides out.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Quote:
Edratman said:They must have longer days in Sweden than they do in PA. Probably has something to do with the midnight sun or the tall, leggy, beautiful blondes.
I put it down to long cold winters myself and the fact that all those tall, leggy, beautiful blondes clear off to the Mediterranean when they realise thats where the sun hides out.
I'm going to believe this theory because I went short, squat and brunette and it would be devestating to add my blonde postulation to my list of Major Errors Committed. I could deal with the midnight sun possibility because I hate the cold; in fact I've dedicated my life to make sure that I will spend eternity in a warm location.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

IndyPendant is on a distinguished road

Wow. Just...wow.

Humour aside, this is a very impressive achievement. This game is better than most games developed by teams of twenty, fourty, a hundred programmers.

Without that knowledge, Dom3 is a very good game--the first non-MMOG to keep my attention for more than a month or two, in many years.

Knowing that two people created it in their basement (figuratively speaking) somehow makes it...special.

Amazing work, Johan and Kristoffer.

...Two people. *boggle*
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually they both have "real" jobs.
To quote from a press release:
Quote:

Illwinter Game Design is based in Sweden, specifically the southern towns of Malm and Lund. Formed many years ago with the intent to create massive fantasy turn-based strategy games Illwinter consists of Johan Karlsson and Kristoffer Osterman. By trade Johan is a computer engineer and Kristoffer is a teacher of religion and social studies.
Johan Karlsson is the programmer and does most of the code to make things work. Besides the game, he also programs his own tools that he uses (such as sprite and sound editors), and the installer and get all of it to work on Windows, and Mac, and Linux (well it already works on linux since thats what he programs on)

Kristoffer Osterman is the theme and graphics guy. He teaches, and part of that involves mythological/religio history. So he is able to mix in his already extensive knowledge with creating the nations, pretenders, units, etc. He is also the balance guy. The one with the overall picture for the game.

Johan Osterman is Kristoffer's brother and besides being a #1 alpha tester he also tends to take short answers from J and K, and turn then into longer ones. Both in the game (such as the messages you get when a global is cast) and often here in the forums also.

A day at work at Illwinter game design..
http://www.illwinter.com/illwork.jpg

What our heroes really look like..
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Origins...2/dcp_0309.jpg
Thats Kristoffer on the left side of the image, and Johan in the middle.

Disclaimer: not an official response
Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

It is truly remarkable considering the $multimillion budgets and enormous game studios of today. I heard that THOUSANDS of people were on contract for Mario Party 8.

Not to take away from this awesome achievement, but this is the way video games started, and they still continue this tradition! Have you heard of Space Empires? That series half of Illwinter's "staff".

I think it's awesome that we have such a big multiplayer community. It's a wonderful time to play Dominions.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Like I said, the first two are spiders, the third one, the brother, he's a centaur and it's the horse bit that does all the work on the game.

Had to have a special giant wooden keyboard made because he kept smashing the keys with his hooves.