.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road
Default Re: *TWO PEOPLE* created (most of) this game?!?

Morkilus - yeah, you're right this is the way computer games started in the good old days! Like, remember Lord British in his heyday making those Ultima games mostly all by himself..

I really think that "too many cooks spoil the broth" is dead accurate. If you have one or two guys with a clear picture of the game they would like to see and the desire to work like crazy to make it a reality, you end up with the best games. I mean, to me anyway, I believe that computer games used to be much better in the 80's and early 90's. There was a time in the early 90s when games like Wing Commander, Doom, Civilization, Star Control, X-Com, Dune II, Ultima Underworld, etc, etc were all coming out basically back-to-back in a serious burst of creativity.

All of those games have since spawned numerous sequals and some even entire genres of games:

Wing Commander - at least 5 games and Privateer
Doom - the FPS genre (although Wolfenstein started it, it was really Doom that made the genre take off)
Civilization - the modern turn-based strategy genre (4X), Dominions I'm sure the devs would admit owes a lot to Master of Magic, a spin off of Civ and MOO. MOO deserves credit, too - especially in terms of AI, it had the best AI I've ever seen in any 4X type game - but, I think that MOO was inspired by Civ mostly.
Star Control - only 3 games, but I really like this one!
X-Com - At least 4 games, I believe, and also Laser Squad Nemesis, and probably it has influenced others. This is a type of game that I've heard lots of people (including me!) want more of and for some reason aren't getting. So, 4-5 games, but it should have been more.
Dune II - the entire RTS genre
Ultima Underworld - certainly inspired the Elder Scrolls series and probably more

Also, you've got Ultima Online of course that inspired the MMO genre, but that was later in the 90s.

It seems to me that in the 70s and 80s you had the one or two guys in their basement making awesome games, then you had the 90s where the game industry "matured", people were working in small groups, and in the early part of that period is where you find like 90% of the creativity of all the mass-marketed games that have been produced ever since. They've just been putting out endless sequals of the games I've listed and of others I've probably forgotten. They do that, imo, because there are too many people working on the project and individual creativity is stifled. Also because the powers that be are reluctant to spend the cash on something that isn't a sure thing. Of course, not every "sure thing" is really a sure thing - MOO3 anyone?? So, I think that strategy is self-defeating.

I think the only good games coming out now are independent ones like Dominions. I could be wrong, but whenever I check out the mass marketed games they always seem to disappoint me.

Edit:

Oh, I forgot Alone in the Dark which I believe inspired the Resident Evil series and the action/horror style genre.

I also forgot Sim City which was the first of the Sim games.

Also Street Fighter which inspired basically all the fighting games, although that was a little earlier in the late 80s.

Taking a look at IGNs list of the top 100 computer games (the one made in 2005), I count 40 of them being from the period between 1989-1995, and that doesn't include Civilization II (1996). Civ I wasn't on the list. I suppose Civ II may have been a better game, but I still think the credit belongs to the trailblazer, not the sequal.

Also, that number would be a lot higher if we included any game defined mainly by a genre created by one of those 40. I think it would include just about all of them in that case.

I apparently have too much time on my hands today.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

Corporal

das123 is on a distinguished road

There is something 'right' and inspiring about the reality that two guys can achieve such a deep game when the game industry says it can't be done. Especially when critics hail Dominions as the most engaging fantasy strategy game ever made.

My all time favourite game is Age of Wonders, and when the same developers recently brought out Overlord I was all set to buy it. I had been aware of Dominions for some time and had played the Dom2 demo but didn't really get a feel for its intricacies at the time. The price tag had always scared me off (I have a $20 threshold for 'Indy' games). Anyhow, when I couldn't find any reference to a random map generator for Overlord I had one last look and ended up buying Dom3 instead. And I am really glad I did.

The factors that ended up swaying me to buy Dom3 were the critic comparisons to Age of Wonders, the health of this forum, the direct contact this forum enjoys with the developers, and curiosity about what two guys 'working out of a garage' can do.

I'm really impressed!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM

Private

NoPJag is on a distinguished road

Yes, congratulations, it really is amazing! I think the key here is passion for what they do!

I do develop for a living, and I don't think I could code some more after work in a professional way like they do (I have some other hobbies). Let alone, I like the skills in SDL/graphics libraries in general, IA to make such a great game. I find also the map random generation awesome. In summary, game developement knowledge is I think one of the most demanding field in computer science, especially given the not so uncommon lack of patience of gamers !

The fact that the game is multi-platform is also an achievement. How many application fail in this regard !

The screenshot of the typical day at illwinter reminded me how great the icons are and how there are lots of them! Despite my lack of free time (like everyone else) I would maybe like to make a mod which would be a nation. I'd try to make balanced although it is difficult not to favour your 'children' ;-). I tried in fact to draw some unit in 32x32 and I find it really hard! Especially if you try to par it with the quality of the original nations !

It would maybe nice to have some kind of tutorial/basic guidelines on how to approach this quality !
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

I just found out that their office lie 500 meters from where I live in Lund. Someday I should pay them a visit and thank them for all the joy and undone work at the university they have given me.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

Obviously there will be a few changes since Illwinter was acquired by Electronic Arts.

Firstly, to provide beter value, the coding and art design will be done in Chinese slave labor camps, with J+K providing offsite inspiration and leadership. In combination with their streamlined approach to testing, this will enable the new development team to release dominions 4 in just six months! But don't worry, EA will be *even more true* to the original vision for the dominions franchise.

To get your game going in top gear, the baroque madrigrals will be replaced with a throbbing grunge-hip hop soundtrack from some of today's best known artists (european versions will ship with a blazing electronica-infused dance mix, instead.)

The new developers will concentrate on delivering the most stunning possible visuals to the 12 pretenders and nearly 30 spells that will ship with the original version. Downloadable expansions (only 500 Microsoft Points each!) can increase these numbers without limit!

You'll be able to equip your pretender with a wide array of deadly weaponry, including the pistol, chain gun, and dreaded plasma cannon.

So that you can play against the widest possible range of opponents, the game will be exclusive to the XBox 360.

As an added value to the consumer, most of the spells and weapons will be availble to X-box live premier members, for a monthly fee of only 250 microsoft points.

The game will be a first person shooter, delivering the adrenaline-fueled gusto of the Halo engine to the magical world of dominions.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dedas said:
I just found out that their office lie 500 meters from where I live in Lund. Someday I should pay them a visit and thank them for all the joy and undone work at the university they have given me.
That office is JK's apartment.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Our official office is JK's home adress

If you show up with a can of beer he would be pleasantly surprised

And thanks all for the positive feedback!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sombre said:
Like I said, the first two are spiders, the third one, the brother, he's a centaur and it's the horse bit that does all the work on the game.

Had to have a special giant wooden keyboard made because he kept smashing the keys with his hooves.
Actually JK is more like some sort of undead:
He is unfazed by trauma and codes bat detectors for fun.
He is inhumanly pale and thin and has suprising strength for his frame.
He is known to gorge himself on congealed blood sausages.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:52 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
Our official office is JK's home adress

If you show up with a can of beer he would be pleasantly surprised

And thanks all for the positive feedback!
LOL!

But hey, that is quite some address, right next to Grand Hotel and everything. Very central.
I live at Väster myself, so I'm passing you by on Trollebergsvägen on my bike almost every day. And think that I ordered the game from USA when I just could've popped in for a copy.

And yes, I always suspected that beer was the key to your secret domain. It is the master key into all magical worlds
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> It is the master key into all magical worlds

You are forgetting coffe! Although JK doesn't like it.