.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Private

Lord_Vader is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 10 questions from the devs.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to put my two cents in the bag.

"1) What are your favorite features/items/etc. in the game?"
All of the main quests, especially the Primordius one. Damocles and all of the Tchorak I think are very cool. The Particle Vortex Cannon is a great item, and I like all of the truly Weird creatures. Really, the entire game.

"2) What are your least favorite features/items/etc. in the game?"
The Chromium Gong should be removed completely from the game. If you have it, coupled with a hyperdrive and maybe a Zorg mercenary with folding abilities, then any battle is way too easy. The hyperdrive, while great for making good scores, should go as well. Or at least make it a bit like the nova cannon where you can only wish for it.

"3) Which map size do you prefer?"
Any map size. Depends of what time I have, really. The large one is probably my favorite, though.

"4) Which player ship do you prefer?"
The pirate corvette. Not only is it most similar to the original S.A.I.S. one, but it also is a mix of both good cargo space and reasonable technology.

"5) Do you think the bosses (Kawangi, Primordius, Vent Mother, Deep Hunter, Garthan carrier) are too easy, too hard or just right?"
The Kawangi is just right for THE boss. Primordius is too weak, even though I really like the quest in general. I beat him with just myself and Damocles, and reasonable (not even good) weapons. The Vent Mother I find is actually harder to destroy than the Kawangi. And defenitely my favorite ship. The deep hunter is just perfect, and the Garthan carrier is too weak. It should launch way more fighters.

"6) When you play Weird Worlds do you "play it safe" or do you play risky?"
Risky. Very risky.

"7) When you play Weird Worlds, do you "roleplay" it?"
Sort of, but not really.

"8) Do you keep a Weird Worlds shortcut on your desktop?"
Yup.

"9) Who is your favorite Weird Worlds character?"
An actual character? There really isn't enough, but, I'd say the Moon Marauder captain. If you count the Tchorak "ships" as characters, then I'd have to say the Vent Mother. She's really just superior to anything else.

"10) Do you own/play Strange Adventures in Infinite Space?"
Years ago, I had the full version for Palm. Then a demo for the PC. I don't own either anymore, but I have Weird Worlds and every single mod I can get, so...
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Private

thebigsilly is on a distinguished road

1) What are your favorite features/items/etc. in the game?
I like how events are fairly random, yet after a few plays you can play wise and prepare for them in some ways (keeping Frogs/Robot toy to trap Esmerelda, for example.) The whole quality of randomized elements coming together at some point really appeals to me.

2) What are your least favorite features/items/etc. in the game?
I don't like how smaller wingman-type ships feel basically useless in combat.
The Mirror item makes the game too easy.
Lots of cool random items - but having more would be cool, as would be having more to DO with them.
Can't use the Stassis Cone for anything? What's it all about?

3) Which map size do you prefer?
Largest.

4) Which player ship do you prefer?
Military. The more weapons, the merrier.

5) Do you think the bosses (Kawangi, Primordius, Vent Mother, Deep Hunter, Garthan carrier) are too easy, too hard or just right?
Generally too easy. But please don't just boost their HP - just make it necessary to employ some kind of tactical plan to beat them.

6) When you play Weird Worlds do you "play it safe" or do you play risky?
Risky.

7) When you play Weird Worlds, do you "roleplay" it?
I do not filter my actions through a conceived character's personality, no. However, if the game offered roleplay options (dialogue choices, situations to solve through items and quests, choices-and-consequences, picking a race or species, etc.) then that would be pretty cool.

8) Do you keep a Weird Worlds shortcut on your desktop?
Yes.

9) Who is your favorite Weird Worlds character?
....Jumbo Shrimp?

10) Do you own/play Strange Adventures in Infinite Space?
I had the demo, but once I get WW, I figured that there was no reason to get the older version too.
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Private

charmanta is on a distinguished road

Hm. The Lookout frogs and the robot. To be sure that i keep items i found

That the yellow kawangi may come after a short time ... in which i haven't found something to defend

Size does matter. Make it BIIIIIIIIIIIG

Pirate

5) Do you think the bosses (Kawangi, Primordius, Vent Mother, Deep Hunter, Garthan carrier) are too easy, too hard or just right?
Just right.

No risk, no fun

7)When you play Weird Worlds, do you "roleplay" it?
As somebody told before, picking a race would be cool

Macs don't need this

Who is your favorite Weird Worlds character?
Esmeralda.

Not so far.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road

Items you may have ignored the first time, but that turn out to have a use, such as the crystal fish, vacuum collapser, timeless bauble, toy robot, etc. On a similar note, I enjoy some of the combos - foldy guy plus gong, for example - that other people complained about.
Also really love Mods since they allow an ongoing supply of surprises generated by other fans of the game.

While I like the combos, I'm not as fond of some one-item wins.
The mirror can really reduce the fun, since spaceship combat goes away.
The Particle Vortex Cannon is just too good - even though I could wish for a Nova Cannon, I'll wish for a PVC instead 'cause it kills fighters too.
General bugginess irritates me too. While I love modding, it's brutal sometimes trying to figure out how to debug the mod you've been slaving over. Could really use some debugging tools (for mac).

Small. I can fit a game in between other projects, or cram in a couple quick games while dinner is cooking.

I want to say science vessel, because I like the value scale it creates with coins/prices.
But the Frigate is the most fun. Just wish there was some value to lifeforms and non-systems in the Frigate scenario so you had to choose between trading for valuables and trading for better weapons.

Kawangi's a tad too hard, but that's okay from something you see every 15th game and are best nuking from a distance.
Garthan Carrier is super easy, doesn't feel like a boss.
The others are just about perfect.

If I'm on the small map, or just killing time, I play take lots of risks. The occasions where I'm in the mood for a large map and longer game I tend to play it safe so as not to blow my progress on one bad fight.

7)When you play Weird Worlds, do you "roleplay" it?
Sometimes, but rarely, and only when on the Science Mission.
I also often flee from Zorg and Muktians in hope of befriending them later, but that's less roleplaying and more metagaming.

The Mac equivalent, yes.

9) Who is your favorite Weird Worlds character?
The Zorg. I know, a race, not a character. But I dig their faux-zen quasi-hipster goobledygook.

Yes. Learned about Weird Worlds because of SAIS. I broke SAIS out again after nearly a year of not playing, and checked the web for new SAIS mods only to learn of WW:RTIS.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM

Corporal

Ripcord O'Reilly is on a distinguished road

Still catching up. This time on two pages! Many helpful (and in some cases fascinating) responses here. Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to comment.