This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM

Private

Nitro Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Default Has this happened to anyone else?

I was into the second battle, a meeting engagement, of a long campaign (solitaire). Ger vs GB in the desert. I quickly rushed the three groups of victory hexes and had control of them by the third turn.

The Brits put up a valiant attack and came close to overrunning a centrally controlled hill top, very fun. They seemed to bunch most of their infantry there (there were two much smaller, I'll call them diversionary attacks, to the south). A well placed artillery barrage saved my hide. Anyway by about the 10 -11 turn they were routed with me in pursuit and the chase began, not so fun.

Here's what I don't get. I assumed the game would have stopped early (it was set by default to 37 turns). As the AI could not put up a credible reorganization after the rout became wide spread. I was chasing fleeing units all around the map (which seemed a bit gamey to me). I feel the game should have called it quits.

A few of the AI's routed tanks (about a dozen) came back into the game. I understand this is possible. My armor was at the edge of the map and chewed them up as soon as they appeared.

The AI scored most of their kills during their rout. Mainly from one 2 pound AT gun that managed to stay "hidden" in open desert for about 5 turns (my hats off to his skill at one shot kills) with plenty of forces around to observe were the shot(s) came from. They also had a few Gladiators that seemed very effective, next to my new flak crews ability. And finally the relentless 25 pound and 4.5 inch shelling that occurred to the end. My artillery was mostly idle because it couldn't keep up with my rapid advance. It didn't appear to be used as counter battery fire either (no messages).

When the game did end (turn 34) the enemy had one tank (that just showed up) one Boys AT and one mangled infantry squad. 116 tanks killed (to my 9).

I guess what I'm asking why would a force grind itself into mush to give me more points? Better than half of the game was whack-a-mole. I really don't like to have to hunt down each man to ensure victory. The consequence of not doing that would be to be robbed of a decisive victory. That's the only thing I don't care for. The AI always has some AA hidden deep (wouldn't a real force be pulling those assets out if the rest of the army was in full retreat? I understand rear guard and all but when that force is dying before it gets to its position. Besides I like to keep my forces fresh should a special battle arise. Perhaps a declare victory or mop up pop up button would be appropriate.

My next battle is moved to Yugoslavia (I'm working my way to Russia) in an assault. I can only imagine the number of AT guns/fortifications, dug in, behind every bush. Going to be tough I'm sure.
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has this happened to anyone else?

If the AI has reinforcements scheduled ( which I'm 99% sure is the case here ) it will not give up before they arrive just becasue you have control of the victory hexes.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM

Private

Nitro Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has this happened to anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
If the AI has reinforcements scheduled ( which I'm 99% sure is the case here ) it will not give up before they arrive just becasue you have control of the victory hexes.

Don
That would explain it. Thanks Don!