The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old March 10th, 2005, 06:04 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question on posting information etiquette.

Gandalf, are you thinking of Runesword? It was a game offered by Shrapnel which went open source (if memory serves) after all copies were sold.

Vega Strike is quite impressive (I haven't checked the Privateer mod), and certainly a game with a *lot* of potential. Hmm...

My turn to offer suggestions: The Babylon flight-sim for another space-based game, though this one is much more focused on combat. If you have ever wanted to fly a Starfury in an inertia-based game, it will fit the bill.

www.drod.net, aka DROD, for a formerly commercial game which went freeware (interestingly enough, the original creator is on board). It offers a puzzle dungeon crawl, so the main means of solving puzzles is a good old-fashioned sword and many obstacles are monsters. For the most devious players, there is also a level editor, and quite a few wicked player-made levels have been released; meanwhile, the sequel is reaching completion, and will still be freeware.
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rogue said:
I'm amazed at how many people really pour a lot of talent/time into those free projects. Heh, I wish I had even a little artistic talent. As it is, I'm about as creative as a dirt clod.
For some its a hobby or a way to use their work skills away from work. For some its a way to "break into the business" and get some resume material. Some of those projects have later gone commercial
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Corporal

Rogue is on a distinguished road

True Gandalf, and if they're using them as resumes I sure hope people take notice of them. Heh, I'm still impressed by the talent and dedication of them--which is also true of the folks who tinker with mods for the Shrapnel product as well.

Alneyan - I followed the Babylon link, but the team hasn't release a flyable copy yet, just a teaser. Hopefully soon though! I'll have to try DROD too.

I ran into a free browswer based Star Wars sim/game called Star Wars Combine. I have no clue how it works really. I did start an account, but I'm still trying to figure it all out. It appears more of a chat type game, but you can travel and do other things. You'd have to check it out I guess as I'm probably not explaining it very well. If you do make a character, you could use my characters name as a referrence "Radom Maroszek" as I think I'm supposed to get some kind of reward? Anyway, it's free so nothing lost if you don't like it I guess.
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:57 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Babylon does have a working game, with a few missions (this may not be worth the download if you are on a slow connection however). The links on the right under "Download the Prequel" should work fine... but "should" is something to be wary of in informatics I guess.
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:24 PM

Corporal

Rogue is on a distinguished road

Thanks Alneyan, I guess I just didn't see that. Heh, that brings to mind something about seeing trees through forests!