This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: US Income Tax - Unconstitutional

Everything has its pros and cons. Absolutes are the territory of fanatics so they are easily ignored.

I do not believe that taxes are wrong. Neither do I think that all of the present taxes have been done correctly. This is a subject that can stand scrutiny.

And I find it interesting, and worth watching, the views about the legality of what has happened.
Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Government: The process of taking something simple and complicating it.

That's what happened to our tax system. Income tax is a good thing and it is legal - despite what evil boogie man conspiracies theories and tax protesters claim.

So we need to vote for smaller government -- and vote for candidates we can trust to do exactly that, if we can't find one we'll need to become one ourselves.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

My biggest complaint about our tax system is that double taxation is supposed to be illegal. But yet Richard and I have to pay tax to two cities because he works in one city and we live in another. Combined that with the fact that our city doesn't allow any exemptions and we pay more in local taxes than we do in state taxes. Gosh I can't wait until we're in a position to move.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Income tax is a good thing and it is legal - despite what evil boogie man conspiracies theories and tax protesters claim.
Yet the Supreme Court ruled that the 16th Amendment, the very amendment that the government says givens them the authority to institute an income tax, does not give the government the authority to enact new taxes.

All I am saying is this. Make it legal. If the government wants an income tax than fine, make it a law to shut up all the nae sayers. Then reform the IRS and the Tax Code. There is no excuse for someone making 60 million a year to pay less in taxes than someone making 25k working two jobs.

Mindi your situation must be extremely frustrating. Have people tried to change the law to help improve or at least reduce the double taxation?
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

Nope, because the cities don't want to lose the tax, so they won't even work together to fix it. So we get taxed 2% for where Richard's full time job is (which is an hour commute each way btw) and 1.75% for where we live. Lancaster (where we live) does give you a credit for tax paid to other cities (even though they don't ever see that money as there is no cooperative agreement) but they only allow you to have a credit for a maximum of 1%. So we pay a total of 2.75% in local city taxes.

On top of which we now pay starting this year 1.5% school tax as the school system cooerced a tax that BARELY passed (and there is speculation about whether or not it really did pass, but I digress) by cutting off bussing to high schoolers and making the tax only on earned income, so anyone living on a pension, fixed income, investors, etc doesn't have to pay it. However that leaves those like Richard and I (no children, working hard and having to work outside of Lancaster as there are no IT jobs in little Lancaster, Ohio) paying the equivalent of 4.25% in LOCAL taxes and getting very little benefit as even if we had kids, I wouldn't send them to school here and the roads are always in need of repair. RIDICULOUS!

Okay that's my rant for the day, I just got done doing our taxes last week, so the wound is fresh! lol

Frankly, I am a big lover of a flat tax. It would get all that hidden under the table income and you can control how much you are paying in taxes. The more you spend the more you pay, it's that simple.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The constitution has a section in it that discusses taxes and that they have to equal and not punitive. I forget what it was called, but it meant that everyone pays the same. A flat tax.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:51 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

All that says is the tax law can't vary from state to state.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thank you. It has been some time since I read it, as I mentioned. Uniform is an interesting word though.

Quote:

1. identical or consistent, as from example to example, place to place, or moment to moment: uniform spelling; a uniform building code.
2. without variations in detail: uniform output; a uniform surface.
3. constant; unvarying; undeviating: uniform kindness; uniform velocity.
4. constituting part of a uniform: to be issued uniform shoes.
What is uniform about taxes? Another example of why we need to reform the tax code. Its not uniform.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:07 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Just google it- there's a lot of sites that provide the text.

What cheeses me off is some of them are trying to SELL it, and right now one of those is #1 in Google ranking. WTF people? Its a legal document, not your own book!

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Phoenix-D said:
All that says is the tax law can't vary from state to state.
Somehow I dont see the drafters of that document meaning that.

Even if it did, you think they were saying that federal tax cant vary from state to state but state tax can? You really think thats why they put that line in?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)