.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road
Default Summoning vs Forging

A month or so back, I asked folks' opinions on whether they'd rather use their gems to summon more immediate combat support, or call down nasty ritual spells upon their enemies, and I learned quite a bit. Thanks again to all who shared their thoughts there!

Well, since I'm in a strategy-comparison mood, I thought I'd bring up another topic for debate. Again, let me preface, I'm mostly interested in MP play (but I wont freak if you make SP relevant comments).

So, basically, I'm wondering if, for example, you summon up yourself something like a Wraith Lord (or perhaps you have your own bad *** national recruits - I dunno, something like a Yomi Dai-Oni perhaps), and you've just blown 40 gems. Are you better off blowing another 40 or so gems to kit him out, or are you better off just getting another of the same?

I mean, to fit out a proper SC/Thug, it seems like it costs many extra gems, and a lot of extra mage time in forging.

I mean, wouldn't you be better off using those extra gems to summon more units (or to cast nasty rituals upon your foes)? Or to use that mage time for research, or to send those would-be forgers off to war instead?

Making a proper SC/Thug just seems to be a lot more hassle than its worth. Or is making SCs/Thugs just something not generally done by the more experienced MP players?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Summoning vs Forging

While (as with most questions of this type) it will vary depending on your specific situation, kitting out a SC properly is almost always more cost effective- particularly in MP where your opponent will be actively trying to kill your best dudes. There are very few creatures who can singlehandedly take out an army straight out the box, and very few that are any threat to a kitted SC without equipment of their own. So if you're not killing armies, and you're not killing SCs then you're much less than half as valuable as someone who is. I can't think of any combat-use summon I'd rather have two of than just one properly equipped.

[edit] Ok, I did think of a case that you will often want more rather than properly outfitted ones - immortal units. Since the equipment is lost if they die, leaving them naked allows them to be used completely disposable. This still isn't a no-brainer, as anybody who's fought kitted wraith lords knows, but LA Ulm's vampire counts, for instance, would be wasteful to equip with anything.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to hearing discussion on this, but IMO I agree with Baalz.

Beyond the strategy question, for me theres nothing in the game more fun than having a properly kitted SC tear through enemies.

Consequently, there's nothing more distressing to see him finally brought low.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

[SP player here]

To the OP,

A naked Wraith Lord can take a lot of armies, since he's not really naked--he's ethereal, Prot 22, with a Bane Blade. I'd probably drop a Pendant of Luck on him if I could (3 pearls with a hammer) but wouldn't feel compelled to kit him out as long as I had Soul Vortex researched. Of course, it depends upon whether how I intend to use him. If he's intended to go on the offensive I'll probably want him to have mobility (7 air gems for Winged Shoes), and he'll be inside of enemy dominion so I'll probably get him a shield (charcoal or gleaming gold) and a sword to go with it (shadow brand), to protect my investment. If he's working in concert with ground pounders, or in tandem with another Wraith Lord, I'll probably consider him acceptable with just the pendant.

I suspect I'd feel differently about a non-immortal unit. If I intended to use a Tomb Oracle as an SC, I'd kit him out to protect my investment, not only from death but also from random afflictions like Mute. If I were using him as a support caster (<Summon Earthpower, Earthquake, Earthquake> to kill mages for my Umbrals) I might use him naked or with some bare minimum of gear because I don't expect him to be in real danger, but as an SC he's just going to get himself killed if I don't give him at least a sword and shield.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sensori is on a distinguished road

Problem with SCs I've always seen is that they can be killed by magic, no matter how high their MR is. If you go against a Mind Hunt spammer, you need to keep astral mages around - and even that's not a sure fire way for your SC to survive, unless you keep a really high quality mage with your SC, or multiple lower ones... Which kind of turns the SC into less cost effective than it would've been. Even if your SC dies in as many as a dozen Mind Hunt casts... Remember that that's just 24 Astral gems versus your probably used tons of gems of various types.

And that's just Mind Hunt. What about an Earth Attack, Manifestation, Vengeance or somesuch spammer? No way to stop those, and in the case of Vengeance (as Micah reported, Vengeances getting through 22 MR or so) spam, if they keep getting through, you just keep getting more and more kills... And while your great SC will probably get really high in kills and rise up in HoF, he'll also die sooner or later if the Vengeance spam is determined enough! Hit turn 75 and you're screwed.

And hell, I guess that even spamming Seeking Arrow would be effective if you can throw, say, 5 of them at a single SC.

But about the deal in question, I guess I'd go for multiple units with not too expensive items. Sure, I'd want to make sure my investment doesn't die in the first fight, but also I would want to make sure my said investment won't cost too much if (when) I lose it. I really like Wraith Lords because of that, since they're immortal (whee, no losing them!) and relatively tough out of the box.

As you might guess from what I've already said, I don't like putting all my eggs in the one basket called Super Combatants. ;p
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

You shouldnt put all your eggs in one basket, Super Combatants or otherwise. But that doesnt mean that SCs arent valuable just because the enemy has assassination spells.

IMO, I would always kit out an SC over summoning a new one. With the exception of a chasis that had strong intrinsic magic that I could use to buff them thoroughly or cast some particular spell to support my army. Another concern would be unique SCs. In that case, I would always want to immediately summon more of them -- to lock out that whole class of summons before my enemies could get any.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sensori said:
Problem with SCs I've always seen is that they can be killed by magic, no matter how high their MR is.
This is what I find, I have had so many SC's with MR 25-30+ killed by a lucky soul slay, petrify, converted by enslave mind or horror marked to death or feeble minded etc, etc...

Just spam any of those at a SC and you will get lucky pretty quickly. The SC will be lucky to survive 2+ battles. This is a poor return.

Also putting your SC with a army offers no real protection, as spells with a 100 precision seem to directly target SC's and ingnore the rest of the army. I believe this is because SC's are generally large size and spells go for those first.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Sergeant

RamsHead is on a distinguished road

I think spells generally target units with more HP.

SCs should be kept as mobile as possible. The more predictable they are, the easier it is to use anti-SC mages against them.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Flying and stealthy(possibly immortal too, like vampires) SCs are great, as are teleporting SCs like golems. The main reason for this is that they can get somewhere and do some serious damage before being noticed so that even if the enemy does kill them quickly theres a chance for them to justify their cost. Taking a large, high health SC with anti magic equipment to draw hostile magics away from the damage dealers can also work(make sure hes bigger and higher health than others. Give him a lead shield, skullcap, antimagic amulet ect)
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Though I am no SC expert by any stretch (though I've killed a few), I think another way to agree with the thoughts so far is:

Point: Piling magic items on a good unit can make it even more powerful, giving it an even better chance of survival, and the ability to be superior to the most powerful opponents. Having a couple more items, or fortuitously-chosen items, can give your toughest warriors a major edge over your opponents. The investment can be more effective than recruiting more units without equipment.

Counter-point: Unexpected results occur, and there are counters, and the more piled on one unit is the more risked on one unit. There are some rather cheap items or summons which may defeat the best super-combatants more economically than the super-combatant was created for. The question then becomes, how much damage the SC can do before it runs afoul of a nemesis. A minor counterpoint is also, when an equipped SC falls, how many of his toys get captured by the enemy...

Some cheap things I've seen defeat equipped SC's:

alone:

Decay (spell, Banes, Bane lords, decay weapons, etc.)
Ethereal Crossbow
Soul Slay
Disintegrate
Poison
Trampling
The Stone Sword

with help from friends:

Entanglement (Tangle Vines, Vine Arrow, Vine Bow, etc.)
Curse
Flame Arrows
Horrors
Vengeance of the Dead
Black Bow of Botulf
Herald Lance
Fatigue (see strong cold or heat auras)