BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old April 5th, 2019, 03:33 PM

Private

dgsbdy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: winSPMBT V13 ( 2019 ) Upgrade

I huge thank you for your work. Been playing this version for years. I even keep it on my business laptop for those god awful layovers. I am writing just to relay that some of the OOB's of things I have knowledge of are wrong. For example a F-111F with 5 crew members or an level bombing F 117 with 4 1000 lb iron bombs. US Army rifle squads of 8 men? If I am missing something here educate me.

These are just a few I noticed after the patch update, I have been doctoring my OOB's for years based upon my work and knowledge in aerospace and military. Is there anywhere or anyway I could submit OOB's (here?) for community use and critique? I could make notes to explain my changes.

Last edited by dgsbdy; April 5th, 2019 at 04:20 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to dgsbdy For This Useful Post:
Old April 5th, 2019, 03:49 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsbdy View Post
I huge thank you for your work. Been playing this version for years. I even keep it on my business laptop for those god awful layovers. I am writing just to relay that some of the OOB's of things I have knowledge of are wrong. For example a F-111F with 5 crew members or an level bombing F 117 with 4 1000 lb iron bombs. These are just a few I noticed after the patch update, I have been doctoring my OOB's for years based upon my work and knowledge in aerospace and military. Is there anywhere or anyway I could submit OOB's (here?) for community use and critique? I could make notes to explain my changes.
Start in the TO&E forum. Then as the game OOB's are frozen, you can either put your own in there or in the mods forum, if it is a huge item.
Old April 5th, 2019, 04:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsbdy View Post
I huge thank you for your work. Been playing this version for years. I even keep it on my business laptop for those god awful layovers. I am writing just to relay that some of the OOB's of things I have knowledge of are wrong. For example a F-111F with 5 crew members or an level bombing F 117 with 4 1000 lb iron bombs. These are just a few I noticed after the patch update, I have been doctoring my OOB's for years based upon my work and knowledge in aerospace and military. Is there anywhere or anyway I could submit OOB's (here?) for community use and critique? I could make notes to explain my changes.
Well..... mentioning it sometime in the previous 15 years--maybe when you first noticed it-- would have been helpful as they have been like that since at least 2005 and probably since the first version was released in 2002. So you are the first since then to say "hey.. the crews are too big and the bombloads are way too small"

.....apparently delivering Cluster bombs was this things raison d'être when it wasn't tasked nuclear https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-111.htm

things like this get overlooked because I usually had more than enough to do dealing with reported problems without having to go looking for them and APPARENTLY nobody really uses F-111's much but with the full bombload that could change especially the full CB bombload

There is a thread started by Suhiir on the To&E thread titled "WinSPMBT v13 Corrections".... that would be a good place to start but I also have this entered into my " If I lose my mind one more time" list

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 5th, 2019 at 05:18 PM..
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:23 PM

Private

dgsbdy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
that would be a good place to start but I also have this entered into my " If I lose my mind one more time" list
Don't lose your mind!! That was the reason for the
Quote:
huge thank you
My intention was to offer some input , not complain . I mentioned some changes over at Command on their stuff that was glaringly wrong and got run off the board by the naysayers.

Thanks so much for the new patch and all your work.
The Following User Says Thank You to dgsbdy For This Useful Post:
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:37 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: winSPMBT V13 ( 2019 ) Upgrade

Some of the frustration that Don has to deal (And myself in researching equipment prior to Don seeing it.) with in OOB work is when you're looking "forward" towards new, modernized equipment or a country buys equipment you'll sometimes find that these could lead you down an unintended path, and it can get ugly real fast. This year was certainly an ugly year.

A simple date change for the ABRAMS SEP V3 lead to if Don, took all my recommendations on the matter, to 2 Deletions and at least 8 other modifications. A "no brainer" simple submission for Brazil to get the M107A5/A5+ lead a total rework of all the M107 Series SPA units. The consequences for me was research/submit/correspond and reach an understanding in the direction we'll take. I'm done. Don will second check me as he should, modify as necessary once he decides to move forward on the submission(s) and when he runs into something as noted above, has to change the OOB, Scenarios and Campaigns said piece of equipment is in.

We have so many OOB's and equipment within them, issues like you presented and mine (And from other folks over the years.) will "pop up" it's unavoidable, unfortunate, very time consuming and for me personally, a step backwards.

Many know how I work and present my submissions, it is exacting and precise as my job required in the USN and as it does now in my current line of work.

The frustration with OOB work is like the examples above was due to "shoddy work" and lack of "due diligence" that went back before Andy and Don took this game on. This was an "ugly" year in that regard.

I hate stepping backwards, but we got them fixed and the game and players will be better for it, though at the time it might not feel like that.

I've read the notes and am very impressed with the outcome of this Patch. It was good to see a couple of former items added back from the past I liked, the artillery stuff and I REALLY liked the stacking info format. And anything to help or make the AI better is always a plus for me.

Andy and Don my hat's off too the both of you and to those that've over the years consistently contributed to the game in the "front of the house" and "behind the scenes".

Don my thanks to you for your support over these years I've enjoyed the teamwork aspect we've developed and am so grateful to you that you allowed so much of my work into this wonderful game.

You both needed the break a few years back and I fully understand the need for one now even if it should lead to retirement from the game. As some know already know we learned a hard lesson in "life is to short" and we (CINCLANTHOME & I) choose to live it.

I hope you both do so as well.

For the rest of you "mugs" I announced my retirement from this game already, so barring any unforeseen events, I hope to be around to maybe tell you "I told you so!?!" on some stuff I've been tracking for years now.

Suhiir thread as Don noted, is an excellent place to address those OOB issues from this last Patch it'll keep things compact.

Andy & Don we (Again my better half.) wish you both well and I leave with a fine Naval traditional farewell "Gods Speed and Fair Winds and Following Seas" to the both of you.

For all to remember...

"In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

I've got things to do in the morning before work so good whatever, wherever you are!!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 25th, 2019, 03:20 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

First of all I want to express my admiration towards you for sticking with it, this great game. I have no doubt if there were no updates, fixes and OOBs, this game would be played by far fewer people.
Thank you and I wish you the best, if you come back (updating etc) or not.

I haven't played the game for many months now so my memory is a bit off.
I will ask two questions.

1. Regarding the info shown above in the op,
Quote:
* Campaign games – If your core force is extremely large, then the only way the AI will be able to have sufficient points is to be the delayer or defender. Therefore the human player will see more assault and advance missions in this case.
Is the extremely large a set number, percentage or other? I am asking as I usually play with prestige points (for post 2000 random campaigns) of 20-25K if not more, and perhaps half that in the 1980s.

2) Some time ago I asked about possible changes to the way the bombardment ordering screen looks. I mentioned the "traffic lights", and there were other good suggestions there. Because my mind is for some time now in a whole lot of mess and I don't remember even what year I posted that, I was wondering and if anyone remembers if something was done to that screen.
If I asked about this recently or if I was already explained something else about this, please ignore. It's just hard for me to think/remember properly, hopefully that will change over this Summer.
Old April 25th, 2019, 03:52 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
First of all I want to express my admiration towards you for sticking with it, this great game. I have no doubt if there were no updates, fixes and OOBs, this game would be played by far fewer people.
Thank you and I wish you the best, if you come back (updating etc) or not.

I haven't played the game for many months now so my memory is a bit off.
I will ask two questions.

1. Regarding the info shown above in the op,
Quote:
* Campaign games – If your core force is extremely large, then the only way the AI will be able to have sufficient points is to be the delayer or defender. Therefore the human player will see more assault and advance missions in this case.
Is the extremely large a set number, percentage or other? I am asking as I usually play with prestige points (for post 2000 random campaigns) of 20-25K if not more, and perhaps half that in the 1980s.

2) Some time ago I asked about possible changes to the way the bombardment ordering screen looks. I mentioned the "traffic lights", and there were other good suggestions there. Because my mind is for some time now in a whole lot of mess and I don't remember even what year I posted that, I was wondering and if anyone remembers if something was done to that screen.
If I asked about this recently or if I was already explained something else about this, please ignore. It's just hard for me to think/remember properly, hopefully that will change over this Summer.
Point 1 - The large number is related to your core points value. if your core is too large for the AI to reasonably buy an attacking or assaulting force, you will be offered mainly advances, assaults etc. - The larger your core, the more likely your remaining battles will be attacks on the AI.

your point 2 - I have no idea.
Old May 10th, 2019, 03:06 PM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Since I upgraded to v13 the extended map editor freezes totally in Ubuntu Linux 18.04. The in-game map editor seems to start just fine, but extended map editor just stays black, cpu fan starts and the system is totally jammed, not even mouse cursor is moving. If I kill the process from another session then the GUI recovers.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it something strange that exists only within my system?
Old May 10th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnt View Post
Since I upgraded to v13 the extended map editor freezes totally in Ubuntu Linux 18.04. The in-game map editor seems to start just fine, but extended map editor just stays black, cpu fan starts and the system is totally jammed, not even mouse cursor is moving. If I kill the process from another session then the GUI recovers.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it something strange that exists only within my system?
I tried updating wine to latest stable version, nuked the configurations etc but only thing that seemed to have any effect was to run it full screen. Well, at least there's still hope.
Old May 12th, 2019, 07:50 AM

Corporal

anlubue is on a distinguished road

The size of your video card's video memory may have been incorrectly determined by Wine. If this is the case, the executed mapedit behaves as if there were not enough video memory.

If you know the actual size, you can open the Wine registry editor with regedit. The video memory size is specified in the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Wine / Direct3D". Klick with the right mouse button on the entry "VideoMemorySize" and enter the new video memory size in megabytes. The editor must then be closed to accept the new settings.

For this to work, you must first know the actual size of the video memory in megabytes, of course. If you are not sure, you can determine it using the following command:

lspci -v -s `lspci | grep VGA | awk {'print $1'}` | egrep -o ", prefetchable\) [size=[[:digit:]]+" | egrep -o [[:digit:]]+

In addition, if a 32 or 64-bit version is running, are the entries for the working directory present and correct? [Maybe create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system.]

From now on, the head is smoking or not?

I myself am not an expert either, even if that may look so, because of my post. I just had constant difficulties too with a windows program and could not ask anyone. If all this is too complicated, you could use "VirtualBox" from Oracle. Another alternative would be "VMware Workstation Player". Both are free, both work well.

Distributions of Linux where SPWW2 and SPMBT ran smoothly throughout Wine immediately, were at least for me:

Manjaro Linux [with the window manager KDE Plasma and also Xfce]

ROSA Desktop Fresh R11 [with the window managers Plasma 5 64-bit, LXQt 64-bit, XFCe 64-bit]

But that does not mean that Wine can not run well with 18.04. Just that I assume that not the program to be executed is a problem, but that Emulator Wine does not handle it for some reason, or in conjunction with the window manager of Ubuntu, or whatnot ...

Therefore, I believe that it makes more sense, if your problems persist, that you talk to the Wine Responsibles and understandably describe your concerns with Wine. Also describe them your hardware in detail. Will be good!