Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old March 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Corporal

Dethgod74 is on a distinguished road
Default Minefields part two

Hello all,

it seems that one of my planets was able to get out a minefield before it got glassed. Unfortunately none of the AI ships struck any mines. I'm guessing it's because laying mines or launching from planets comes after movement.

Question now is, does moving OUT of a sector containing mines, will these ships have a chance to strike any?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Rob aka dethgod74

Rob aka dethgod74
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Minefields part two

Mines only strike ships when they move into a sector. So if you already had enemy ships in orbit and then launched the mines, it won't do any good.

However, launching mines in orbit around your planet ahead of time is a good idea, and will help defend against enemies when they enter the planet's sector.

-Km :�
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Sergeant

StarShadow is on a distinguished road

Yes, mines are a *great* way to defend your planets in the early game and somewhat into the mid-game, if you're only playing against the AI. Get your minefields in place as early as possible, don't wait to be attacked, once an enemy ship is already in a sector mines won't work unless he moves out of that sector (and back into it).

My personal suggestion is to stick with small mines and Lvl 3 warheads. You'll be able to make large amounts of mines in quick time, which is important when your enemies start building sweepers. Sweepers will clear only a certain number of mines, regardless of the size of the mines.
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM

Corporal

I'll post this question here since no one has answered my other question. How can 17 CLs (Light Cruisers) with NO minesweepers (none of the mines disappeared) get by 30 small mines over my homeworld? None of the mines blew due to contact, and none were swept, how did the AI ships get into my home sector?

Rob aka dethgod74
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

There are exactly two ways to get ships past a minefield without sweeping or triggering the mines - get them there before you break your treaty with whoever controls the minefield, or get them there before the minefield exists. If an enemy fleet moved into a square with a hostile minefield in it and the mines are still there after the fleet moved, you encountered a bug. Mines launched after the fleet has already arrived will not detonate, nor will mines that were present but didn't blow immediately due to a treaty, but any time a hostile ship moves into a pre-existing minefield the mines will blow, even if the ship is cloaked beyond your ability to detect normally.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM

Corporal

Hi Douglas,

Then I have encountered a bug. There were 30 mines, each containing 2 small warheads, in system BEFORE the AI ships arrived. I evidently launched 10 more AFTER they arrived.
I think I would have gotten a report had any of the mines exploded, but I didn't. All 40 mines are still there as well as a boatload of enemy CLs.

There is no treaty, we're at war.

Now what should I do Douglas? I'm running SE4 v1.95

Regards,

Rob

Rob aka dethgod74
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

I betcha you saved the game after sending political messages a few turns ago.
Your minefields think you're still at peace.

To fix; declare war again (may have to sign a treaty first) or take over their empire for a turn and declare war.

To prevent:
Don't save after doing politics. Do the politics last.
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM

Corporal

WHOA!!!! I have to DECLARE war on that AI race before my mines will freakin' work? I would think that would be done AUTOMAGICALLY once the AI declared war on me. If not, that's a REALLY STUDID WAY of NOT doing things right.
UP until this point I thought the game programmer had it 'going on...' No longer. Jeeze, not even my step daughter is THAT stupid.

BTW, this race declared war on my about turn 5 or 6, right after they vaporized my first colonizer through the warp point going INTO their system.

Never sent this race a treaty proposal.

So Junkie, you're saying that for my mines to be effective, I have to DECLARE WAR on that specific race?

If this is true, then why did my Weapons Platforms fire on his ships when they came in range. OR do my Weapons Platforms auto declare when a ship other than my own comes in system?

Is there a toggle in the Empire screen that will allow me to AUTOMAGICALLY DECLARE WAR on EVERY RACE encountered?

Please don't misunderstand Junkie. I'm not p!ssed at you. Really, up until now I thought this game was one of the best I've ever played, AT ANY COST. But this, IMHO, is a HUGE oversight.

This would be like, I'm sitting in a chair minding my own business, when you walk into my room, kick me in the package twice then give a right cross to my chin.
I can't do anything BACK to you because I didn't tell you I didn't like you BEFORE you freakin' walked in.

Somebody please this again to me SLOWLY.

Thanks for the reply Junkie. It's most appreciated.

I would be so ticked off except I've lost three planets in three turns JUST LIKE THIS...

Nope, the above reason doesn't work and I just figured out why. I've NEVER declared war on someone and my mines over WARP POINTS have worked JUST FINE. Also, my fighters at warp points. So this HAS to be a bug...

Regards,

Rob aka dethgod74

Rob aka dethgod74
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Jeeze, man, overreact much?

Its the fact that somebody's war declaration didn't go through. Your status says war, but they still have a treaty with you that lets them bypass the mines.
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM

Corporal

No, I don't over react much, but when 20 turns of production gets vaporized, I do get a little emotional.

Where would I find this at? I see I'm at war with both, but don't see any treaties with either.

How do you declare war on a specific player? A 'war treaty' is not available with either of the ai races.

Regards,

Rob

Rob aka dethgod74