.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Amazing feats from your units?

'43 meeting engagement against Germany. My core (rifle coy with platoon of SU-76) is bolstered by 2 companies of penal troops who will feint against the northern objective cluster. I set the cowardly criminals up in two extended lines about 150 meters apart and cut them loose in a straight forward advance, pausing only to let the commisars dress lines. Meanwhile I get all clever in the south with my core with sneaky advances and reverse slope defenses.

The short version is: The penal companies, with some help from the artillery, kicked SS posterior. The criminal troops broke often but rallied well and were able to return to the fray. Each section of advancing stormtroopers was met by a platoons worth of Russian fire. In several cases, the cream of Nazi soldiery surrendered to my boys in prisoner's uniform.

Sadly the penal troops were in support only and could not be promoted into the core after their decisive victory.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG View Post
'43 meeting engagement against Germany. My core (rifle coy with platoon of SU-76) is bolstered by 2 companies of penal troops who will feint against the northern objective cluster. I set the cowardly criminals up in two extended lines about 150 meters apart and cut them loose in a straight forward advance, pausing only to let the commisars dress lines. Meanwhile I get all clever in the south with my core with sneaky advances and reverse slope defenses.

The short version is: The penal companies, with some help from the artillery, kicked SS posterior. The criminal troops broke often but rallied well and were able to return to the fray. Each section of advancing stormtroopers was met by a platoons worth of Russian fire. In several cases, the cream of Nazi soldiery surrendered to my boys in prisoner's uniform.

Sadly the penal troops were in support only and could not be promoted into the core after their decisive victory.
Completely logical! They were escaping! The SS were just in the way!!
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:09 AM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid to report this one, I might jinx myself.

Germans are assaulting me outside of Leningrad now, with multiple regiments of off board 105mm and 15cm guns. Apparantly the Kapitan of my counter-battery unit is taking this personally, because he has fired 5 CB missions in the first 12 turns of the game. He's not just lobbing a few shells, either, most of his missions are landing 14 or more hits with his 152's. At this rate, I'm worried about his ammo state, just from CB fire.

It's not slowing down the Germans much so far, but if he keeps rolling 20's and pounding them, it may make a difference yet.

Matt
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Take a tour to Scenario 310 - Tiger 134.
That lone Tiger commanded by the "Ultra-man" tank ace Willy Fey destroyed some dozens of allied Sherrys, Valenties, and a whole company without a single scratch.
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Did the same in real life to I think but the best was a guy forget his name who took on an entire Russian tank Division & got them running after about 30 kills when other armour showed up. Cant remember as read a while back but he was only tank in the area & got 30+ before a platoon of MKIVs turned up & they ran. He then gave chase but to slow & had over 80 kills credited by the time Normandy got him. Unconfirmed reports said an ammo truck from repair park was parked behind the crest line passing ammo.
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Michael Wittmann?
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
Michael Wittmann?
Realy not sure but dont think so, if remember his action protecting the rear in which he got 15 or so tanks he was designated as rearguard.
This guy was the only tank in the area because the tank had thrown a track earlier so was nearby when the cry for help went out. Dont know why but think this guy got 86 confirmed tank kills so about 50 short of Wittmann.
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

A single troop of three British cruiser tanks is carrying the day in my most recent battle. Led by Lt Randall, everywhere these tanks went they had success. They were responsible for breaking the German attack, and immediately exploiting that situation into a deep penetration and successful flanking attack on German armour and positions.

The troop had accumulated kills of six Panzer IVs, two heavily armed halftracks and a Wespe SP artillery, plus infantry and crews. Lt Randall’s tank was responsible for three of the Panzer IVs and one halftrack.

Then, Lt Randall’s tank was following about 150 yards behind a British halftrack loaded with infantry down a road deep in German territory. The halftrack ran into and was attacked by some crew escaping down the road. Randall loaded an HE round and fired at the crew, missed, hit the back of the halftrack which exploded and killed or wounded every infantryman on board, only the halftracks driver and co-driver escaped!

I've seen misses hit other vehicles before, but it's rare, and even rarer to hit your own AFV. In this case the halftrack was in the same hex as the targeted crew.

What stinks is that I was planning to award Lt Randall a DSO for his accomplishments. (He would get renamed at the end of the battle ‘Lt Randall DSO’) The DSO is usually only awarded to officers Major and above, but is occasionally awarded to junior officers with exceptional merit.

Now what to do? Can’t award him a DSO after such serious fratricide, despite being accidental. Since that incident, the other two tanks under his command have KO an additional two Panzer IVs; bring the troop total to eight Panzer IVs!

I think I may only award him a Military Cross, and bury the incident in the paperwork.

In future he will only use his MGs in a similar situation.

cheers,
Cross
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
I think I may only award him a Military Cross, and bury the incident in the paperwork.
Were there any credible witnesses?
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG View Post
Were there any credible witnesses?
Lol, I just looked at that, and actually the halftrack crew were also casualties. I mistook a halftrack crew who survived their vehicle getting KO'd by an ATk gun further down the road, with the fratracide halftrack. Fog of war and all that...

So ALL occupants of the frat halftrack were casualties, and there were no other witnesses because that section of the road could not be seen by my other forces.

cheers,
Cross