.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:46 AM

Corporal

RedRover is on a distinguished road
Default Mod Command Brainstorm

Recently, B0rsuk and I have been discussing Slavs via PM. He has some interesting ideas, but some rely on new modding commands that have not yet been implemented.

I have been adding requests for specific mod commands to the Dom3 Wishlist every now and then, but it seems to me that a concerted effort by the Dom community to generate a master list of effects we would LIKE to see made available in Dom3 might be a more efficient way to approach the topic.

The purpose of this thread is to generate a list of as many game effects, powers, and abilities that might be made moddable as possible, with a view toward getting as many of them implemented in Dom3 and subsequent patches as we can.

Anyone can play. All you need is a copy of the current mod manual from here: Modding Manual (fourth item down)--and a little imagination. Any power or ability not specifically allowed by this manual can be considered fair game for mention here.

I believe the current edition of the manual is dated 4.11.2005.

Let's identify abilities by type: Unit, Leader, Pretender, Item, Spell, Event, Nation Special, and so on, so that a final, sortable list can be generated.

Anyone who knows how the commands are set up might, at their option, suggest a configuration. People who don't, shouldn't worry about it.

If any of these commands have been enabled but not documented, then that knowledge would be useful, too. Anyone who knows of such commands are invited to share them.

I'll start with a few commands on my request list to get the ball rolling:

Unit Power
Fly In Storms: If given to a unit with the Fly ability, the unit will not be grounded during a storm.

#flyinstorm

Unit Power
Fort Defense Bonus: The unit receives a Defence bonus when defending a fort.

#deffort(+X) where X is the bonus to Defence.

Unit Power
Unit Explodes When Destroyed: This would require a number of additional parameters: area of effect, +X damage, type of damage (fire, shock, cold, poison, etc.), any special effects. This might be anything from a mechanical device exploding in a ball of shrapnel and fire, to a deadly fungus releasing a cloud of spores that causes those missing a magic save to Decay.

Unit Power
Cause Bad Event: This power causes a random Bad Event in the province the unit occupies.

#badevent(+X): where X is the Misfortune level of event.

Unit Power
Patrol Bonus: Unit has a bonus to find stealthy units when patrolling. Note that flying units already have a patrol bonus of x.

#patrol(+X) Where X is the amount of bonus (0-20 recommended?)

Leader Power
Drill Instructor: A leader with this power increases the experience point total of troops he commands.

#train(+X) where X is the number of experience point added per turn.

Pretender Power
Create Population: A Pretender with this power creates new population each turn in the province he occupies.

#addpop(+X) where X is the amount of population added to the province.

Pretender Power
Create Wealth: A Pretender with this power automatically adds gold to his treasury every turn. (Note, this command might also be appropriate for a leader; for example, one from a mercantile culture.)

#addgold(+X) where X equals the amount of gold added to the treasury per turn.

Anyhow, I'm sure you get the idea. Let's see if we can put together a good list of things the game does that modders can't and also create some new tools that modders can use to entertain us.

(Note: I considered posting this to the Mod Section, but on reflection, it has been my experience that some of the best brainstorm results come from the least experienced people. So I put it here for maximum exposure.)

Oh, more thing--please follow normal brainstorming rules--no negative comments on contributions. We can dissect an alpha list after we've generated it, but let's generate one first.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM

Corporal

SafeKeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Command Brainstorm

I think Dom III should have several degrees of stealth, from 0 to 100 or something. The higher the level, the harder the unit is to detect.

#stealth(x), where 'x' is the level of stealth.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RedRover said:

Unit Power
Fort Defense Bonus: The unit receives a Defence bonus when defending a fort.

#deffort(+X) where X is the bonus to Defence.

I'd say that it appears as #fortdef (N), where N could also be negative... This could be caused e.g. by Sphinxes or Tarrasques (I wouldn't want to be forced to be that close to a unit of that size in a sieged city!

Quote:

Unit Power
Unit Explodes When Destroyed:

Or simply:
#deatheffect <effect nr>
This would be defined as the #secondaryeffect and #secondrayeffectalways commands. This allows for EVERYTHING a weapon can do, e.g. AoE 5, 5 (no str bonus) Armor Piercing Fire damage makes an explosion; OR range 15, prec. -20, 6 dam missile weapon with 25 missiles/shot (with #nratt 25,think Blade Winds) makes shrapnel.

Quote:

Unit Power
#badevent (X)

#event (X): where X is the Fortune (if positive) or Misfortune (if negative) level of event. Possibly even another variable which would control the possibility of such an event. With it:
#event 3 25
-very good events very often
#event -1 100
-minor bad events every turn
#event 1 5
#event -2 60
#event -3 35
-minor positive events every now and then, but lots of bad events.

Quote:

Oh, more thing--please follow normal brainstorming rules--no negative comments on contributions. We can dissect an alpha list after we've generated it, but let's generate one first.
I call this "constructive criticism", so it doesn't count, right?

Unit/pretender power
#orderscale <strength>
The provinces in which this unit resides slowly changes towards Order. Strength could be simply -6 to 6 (maximum amount the unit can change the scale from the base), or another variable which would make it possible to give e.g. Eyes of the Lord a small chance of increasing the province towards Order.
Similar commands for other scales, #magicscale, #growthscale etc.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
SafeKeeper said:
I think Dom III should have several degrees of stealth, from 0 to 100 or something. The higher the level, the harder the unit is to detect.

#stealth(x), where 'x' is the level of stealth.
7.64 #stealthy <bonus>
This monster can sneak into enemy provinces. Bonus
is a bonus that makes it harder to detect the unit.
normal bonus is 0 and a hard to detect spy has 20.

Did you wish for bigger range? Currently, Stealth 30 is the highest any unit has, and it already is almost magical (comes with Glamour, ability and gift of hiding oneself with illusions).
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:25 PM

Corporal

Safekeeper: As you see, Endoperez keeps us all honest.

Endoperez: I certainly count your comments as constructive, as usual. Any format ideas that would be more efficient can only benefit us in the long run.

I am a little unclear on your #fortdef comment. Are you only proposing this as an alternative format, or are you saying that currently adding this command to a mod will actually work in dom2?

------------------------------------------------------------
(new)

Unit Power
Capital only. This Unit can be produced only in the capital.

#capital

Leader Power
Capital only. This Leader can be produced only in the capital.

#capital

(I have personally run into this one a lot, recently.)
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM

EDIT:
Ugh! This is a LONG post! I'm afraid this will scare away all official people who might have read this thread just so they could quote something cool and say "that's already in". (Hey, who knows. They already did it with the shore/coastal suggestion in Wishlist some days ago.)

Quote:
RedRover said:
I am a little unclear on your #fortdef comment. Are you only proposing this as an alternative format, or are you saying that currently adding this command to a mod will actually work in dom2?

I'm quessing that #fortdef is closer to what Illwinter would use as the keyword. However, now that I checked what is used as #siegebonus, I think it's more likely to be #castlebonus or #castledefensebonus. Has nothing to do with the actual idea, of course.

Quote:

(new)
Unit Power
Capital only. This Unit can be produced only in the capital.
Leader Power
Capital only. This Leader can be produced only in the capital.

All current modding commands affect ALL units, regardless of what and how they are. I think it's a reasonable idea, so there would only be need for one set of commands that only work one way.

More to the point (this suggestion):
Currently, units can be used anywhere. Trolls are summoned from Earth Court and Summon Troll, and can be recruited from Troll Cave or somesuch site, and from certain independent poptypes that might never come up except in maps that define them. All of these are the same unit. The control of recruitment doesn't happen from the UNIT, but instead it is defined by the way you obtain it. Rather than unit command, I suggest the following:

Spell modding:
#summonunit OR #unit <number> <id>|<name>
The spell a creates/summons <number> units of the given name or id.
#summoncommander OR #commander <nr> | <name>
The spell creates/summons unit of the given name or id.

Nation modding:
#capitalunit <nr> | <name>
The selected nation can recruit unit of the given name or id only from its capital province. Other nations that conquer this nation's capital can't recruit the spesified unit, nor can they recruit their own capital-only units from conquered enemy capitals. (compare to #recunit, #reccom)
#capitalcommander <id> | <name>
Quess.

Site modding:
#siteunit <id> | <name>
#sitecom <id> | <name>

The unit/commander of given blablabla can be recruited from the province this site is located in once the site is found.

I don't think I missed anything. But I lost my patience. Must be the Dark Side...

Here are some Real Ideas, first for spells:
Summon spells are easy. A number of critters appears. It's the cost and requirements (already definable), the name of the spell, and the creature(s) summoned that make it interesting. Therefore, I propose the addition of the following spell modding commands:

#newspell <spell number>
New spell of this identifier is added. If not possible (because of the data structure), then a dozen or two blank spells would be nice.

#name "<name>"
"This must be the first command for every new spell.
It sets the name of the weapon." It also affects existing spells.

#summonunit and #summoncommander, defined earlier.

Also, I don't know of the format, but creating a Crossbreeding-like spell that summons creatures chosen from a larger number of critters would be awesome. It would also be possible, although not simple, to make some critters more common by having them appear in the list more often.

Damage spell could be done, but it would be much more boring. We can't create totally new, original effects as we could do for spells. However, if they were to be done:

#numberofeffects
The number of darts/bolts/whatever the spell creates/fires/shoots
#precision
and a way to define the effect (probably as a "weapon").
#flyspr and #explspr already exist, but they should be changed to work for magically propelled energies as well.

And now, something to consider:
Everything a magic weapon can do as weapons, even special abilities like Shatter of that hammer (Smasher?), or Strength Drain, are technically WEAPONS. So even if the only effects we could add would be called "weapons", we would in effect deal any kind of damage (fire, cold, lightning, armor piercing, armor negating, and/or unresistable (normal OR acid), as well as multitude of special effects (check modding manual, table 7 at 4.27. Please do realice that every number from 1 to N is a weapon OR a special effect, AND that all of them have been compiled into Unit &Weapon Database etc.)

Weapon modding:
Various slaying abilities. These would be complicated. Something that could work would be e.g.

#doubedamage <type>
#tripledamage <type>

etc, in which <type> would be e.g. Cold-blooded, Demon, Undead, Mindless, Magical Creature, Stealthy, Mounted and, of course, Pretender and Prophet ()... with pre-given numbers. Only the developers could add to this list, and the multiplier couldn't be defined, but it would still offer quite a many interesting options.

Also, a strange idea that just popped into my head:

Affliction modding:
#newaffliction
#name
#str, #att, #def... as in the unit stat screen
if possible, #removebody <number>, where number would stand for equipment slot(s) that would be removed from the unit if he/she/it had it before the affliction.
#fire, #lightning, etc. for damage types
#neverheal, #noheal
Like "Never" Healing Wound and then something that really never comes off, whatever you do.

It would be cool to have an army of Scarred warriors after fighting Abysia:
#newaffliction 166
#name "Scarred"
#prec -2
#att -1
#def -1
#mrl -2

There aren't that many really interesting ideas that can be pulled off with only modifying stats, so this probably isn't worth it.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

Umm, instead of Cause Bad Event I'd prefer
#scalemodifier (scalename) -3 or similar. For example
#scalemodifier luck -3
Substracts 3 from luck scale of current province. Could be used to create pretenders like Celestial Emperor etc. (I didn't find anything like that in modding manual)
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:41 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Enderopez, if you want to add affliction modding, why not also add a "random affliction" tag for units so that they will start with a random affliction(s) like BE Ermor's.
Possibly:
#randomaffliction <chance%>
which would give that unit a <chance%>% of starting with a random affliction.
As for new ideas:

#intrinsicspell <name>
Would allow that commander to cast the spell <name>, even without the required paths and research.
This would be good for... For example, a devilish commander, which can cast Firebolts but doesn't actually know any Fire magic. Or more like a dragon's firebreath, only its a spell instead.

#freecast <name> <number>
Will allow a commander to cast the spell <name> for <number> amount of times each combat, completely for free (no fatigue cost and no action cost).

Also, I didn't see anyone mention the idea of having control over freespawns, like Ermor's
#freespawn <name> <chance> <requierment>
Will give this nation a <chance>% of summoning unit <name> for free, in provinces with <requierment>.
The requierment will be:
0) Nothing
1) Lab
2) Castle
3) Lab+Castle
4) Dominion (which means that <chance> is multiplied by the province's dominion score, so higher dominion will yield more summons)
5) Lab+Dominion
6) Castle+Dominion
7) Lab+Castle+Dominion
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Corporal

Endoperez: I really hope you don't scare people off.
Maybe we should concentrate on generating a longer alpha list first?

Is there some way we could get a sticky, updatable "first post" on which a cumulative alpha list could be built?
Quote:
All current modding commands affect ALL units, regardless of what and how they are. I think it's a reasonable idea, so there would only be need for one set of commands that only work one way.
Oh, I didn't know that. In the Modding Manual, Units and Leaders have their own sections for advanced modding. It seemed to me that even if the commands were the same and worked identically, following the organization of the current documentation would be most likely to ensure complete coverage, even if it resulted in some duplication.

On the other hand, I really like your suggestion of making the "capital only" tag a Nation mod command instead of a Unit|Leader mod command. Kudos!

Recruitment: I agree that these are best handled under the headings--Nation, Spell, Site. Nice treatment of these.

Spells: I hope that Spell modding is configured to allow a theoretically infinite number of new spells. Blank slots would fill up so quickly that keeping mods mutually compatible would be a nightmare. Maybe a Spell list like we have for Units, Weapons, and Armor that goes to four digits would be the best approach?
Quote:
#flyspr and #explspr already exist, but they should be changed to work for magically propelled energies as well.
Agreed. It would be even better if, for example, new .wav files for sound effects and new TGA sprites for visual effects could be created and added by modders.

Weapons: Agree that an "Advanced Weapon Modding" section with its own list of mod commands is a great idea.

NEW!!
For the purpose of this thread, Weapon Effects should be listed as:

Weapon
Title: Blah, blah

#effectname

As always, new contributors can ignore the code stuff if they're not comfortable with it.

Note that in this thread we are more interested in capturing a new capability with broad applications, than in duplicating a specific, complex weapon. We are after building blocks here.

Affliction Modding: I would be inclined to put this under Weapon (and maybe add a "see Weapon" reference under Unit, Leader, and Pretender).

Or does anyone think a "Misc" category for modding commands would be more efficient for subjects like this in this thread?

Agrajag: These are all GREAT suggestions! Got any more?

B0rsuk: I think your idea is a good addition, but don't you think it would also be useful for a modder to be able to actually force an Event of some sort to occur?

Events
Maybe these could be keyed to Luck scale (-3 to +3) and numbered, allowing specific events to be assigned if the modder desires.
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RedRover said:
Agrajag: These are all GREAT suggestions! Got any more?
Thanks for the positive feedback
I've got many ideas for mod commands, only sadly, I think them up in bed before I fall asleep, and forget about them by the time I wake up
Here are more ideas I can remember right now (though I like them less than my previous ones):
I) #Teleporter
This gives the unit the ability to Teleport between provinces as a Move action /*similar to the Dimension Boots, or whatever their name is, I forgot :\)*/ it also allowes the unit to teleport in combat /*like fly, but unaffected by storms*/ - Though this idea can already be implemented using the #flyinstorm idea combined with insanely high movement.
2) #Periodiceffect <period> <stat> <modifier>
Will make it so the weapons with this command, will give its bearer an increase of <modifier> to his <stat>.
<stat> is that leader's stat that will be changed, something along the lines of:
0: Strength
1: Attack
2: Defence
3: Precision
4: Move
5: HitPoints
6: Magic Resistance
7: Morale
8: Protection
9: Fatigue
Maybe even:
10: Experience
11: Leadership
12: Undead Leadership
13: Magical Being Leadership
And possibily even: (!)
14-21: Astral/Fire/Air/Water/Earth/Nature/Death/Blood Magic
((or any other order of things))
<modifier> is by how much that stat will chance, for example 5 will give a bonus of 5, and -19 a malus of 19.
<period> determines the interval between increases, for values of:
1-50: Every 1-50 turns in combat, the leader's <stat> will increase by <modifier>, reseting at the start of each battle.
100+: Every <period>/100 game turns (=in the strategic map), that leader's <stat> will increase by <modifier>
This one could be useful for items with interesting effects, like:
1) A cursed ring, which makes you into a coward (#Periodiceffect 100 7 -1 will make it so the leader loses 1 morale each turn)
2) A powerful sword (=good stats) which slowly saps your strength away (#Periodiceffect 100 0 -1)
3) A powerful axe, which feeds on the energies of battle, and empoweres the user with those energies (#Periodiceffect 2 0 1 for increasing strength by 1 every other turn)
4) A magical shield, which grows bigger the longer it is held (#Periodiceffect 2 2 1 and #Periodiceffect 4 9 1)
etc.
3) #Mercenary <days>
Will make a unit disappear <days> days after being recruited (or summoned).
This way you could recruit a Mercenary unit, which leaves you as soon as its contract ends.
Or even better, a special Devil which makes you sign a contract with your own blood, which lends you his services for a limited amount of time. (though probably no actual side effect )
It could also be cool for making a unit such as a really old man, which dies of old age after some time
4) #Loyal
Loyal units are recruitable for money, but don't cost you any adittional upkeep (or possibly, cost you half the usual upkeep), this allows you to have units with low-upkeep without making them sacred.
5) #Unitslayer <name>|<id> <modifier>
Will give this unit increased damage against certain units.
So a certain commander could be trained as a Troll Slayer (or Vampire Slayer), and will thus be able to slay those creatures more easily, by doing an extra <modifier> damage.
This one could have some variants, such as a percentile bonus (such as 200% damage), or a change of stat (such as affecting Attack instead of damage).
This is quite similar to the previously suggested #doubledamage and #tripledamage commands, but is more flexible, in allowing you to target groups the game doesnt recognize (such as "Trolls", "Dwarves" or "Units whose name starts with an S").
6) #Greedy
Greedy units will cost twice the normal upkeep
(Or perhaps #Greedy <modifier> which require <modifer>% more upkeep)

That's all I can think of right now. And I liked my previous suggestions better. But what can you do?