.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 25th, 2007, 09:30 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish-List for Dominions 4

Wish: Additional scripting commands (2) - 1x turn Defend and rest of battle Defend.

Defend - unit can not move or perform any actions beyond retaliation and retreat. If unit is attacked it will retaliate via melee and if routed will flee. While in "Defend" mode unit gains defensive benefits (depending on balance, opinions)

Defense + (.5 x current Defense) - 10 def -> 15 while "defending"
"Full focus on dodging enemy blows"
MR + (.33 x current MR, rounded down) - 10 MR -> 13 MR while defending
"Unit is unusually alert to any attempt to alter his thoughts"
----
Or possibly double shield bonus for that battle, shrug.

------------------------
Item
"Blood sodden mail"
BN, BD, or DN
+15 hp, -50FR, (possibly 10% regen or recup)
Either moderate AC (15ish), low enc, -1 (or 2) def
or
High AC (18ish), med enc, -3 (or 4) def

The life energies of xxx sacrifices are captured in this suit of wooden armor. While cumbersome, the energies protect the wearer and impart a portion of their energies into keeping the wearer alive.

I just think it would be cool if there were an item that would enable some of the units that "could" be good thugs but don't quite have the hp for it. A lot of times a 12 hp unit would be just fine as a thug with 27-30 hp. Could use pretty much any item slot, but when creating thugs I always seem to have a very small subset of armors I use. I guess the same could be said of boots/helms as well though.

+15 hp or fear +0?
+15 hp or flying?
+15 hp or Gore?
+15 hp or .....
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I think nature magic should boost your HP instead of regeneration, since the regeneration bonus is bugged anyway.
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> I think nature magic should boost your HP instead of regeneration, since the regeneration bonus is bugged anyway.

Bugged? In what way? It adds +1/skill level to the basic regen value, so a crone of avalon with 8 HP that casts regen on herself should regen 1(10%of HP)+3(nature skill)=4 HP. A lamia queen with 2 nature and 20 HP should regen 10(50%regen)+2(nature skill)=12 HP. Is this not the case?

Regen from bless is 5% at godskill 4.

Edit: HP bonus has been considered in other occasions, but has been discarded. The reason is that HP adjusts slowly. A pretender doesn't get new HP when they enter a new dominion etc. Adding HP would be problematic if you trade items back and forth to increase HP, unless the curent mechanic was remade. THis is perhaps more true in the case of HP-adding items, which were considered before the release. We found some problems to it that were not easily solved. I can't remember the details, but JK had me convinced it was problematic.

But apart from that I like the idea.

Old August 27th, 2007, 03:42 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Doesn't work, last time I checked-if it did, I'd use wyrms a lot more often.

Try building a wyrm with 10 nature and one with 0 nature, and see what happens to it's natural Regeneration-I'd love to be proven wrong on this, since I use Regeneration a lot.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM

Corporal

Autochthon is on a distinguished road

Underwater combat either on or near the surface of the water, with Aquatic units capable of deep-striking like Flying units can in overland combat.

Amphibians would then fight near the surface of the water, as they should not be capable of deep diving.

"The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness."
- The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but then it'd be Snow White and the Seven Samurai...
-Pinky and the Brain

http://www.lolthulhu.com/
-Props to S.R. Krol
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM

Corporal

Oooh, another one...

Bashing weapons that have less Strength than their bladed cousins, but have a chance for Knockdown/Stun/Paralyze?

Burrowing/Underground troops that can ignore intervening terrain and deepstrike like fying troops? Natch, they'd have a much slower strategic and tactical move.

"The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness."

-Pinky and the Brain

-Props to S.R. Krol
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:04 PM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

Allmost only tritons and mermen should be able to near the surface since they swim. The other amphibious/Aquatic units walk on the bottom of the ocean.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Tiavals is on a distinguished road

I'd really like it if Jotunheim(of all ages perhaps?) could summon Rimtursar. Huge, size 6 giants with monstrous magic abilities. That'd be awesome.

Also, for Vanheim the ability to summon Aesir.

I do so like the god-like beings from the beginnings of time. More high level summon spells that can evoke them. Thematic spells for every nation. Some nations don't always have even a single one, I think?
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Folket said:
Allmost only tritons and mermen should be able to near the surface since they swim. The other amphibious/Aquatic units walk on the bottom of the ocean.
Actually, I was thinking more the other way around...

Y'see, only truly aquatic creatures have the capacity to operate at deeper depths than merely amphibious creatures.

They are more mobile and can rely on other senses to compensate for the lack of light in such an environment.

So instead of setting underwater combat on the floor, make it near the surface and allow aquatic units to dive up from the depths, the inverse of what flying units do now.

This does bring up the question on where exactly buildings are if not on the floor, but then again, do they really have to?

Hmmmm...

-Pinky and the Brain

-Props to S.R. Krol
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Private

DenStoreFrelser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tiavals said:
I'd really like it if Jotunheim(of all ages perhaps?) could summon Rimtursar. Huge, size 6 giants with monstrous magic abilities. That'd be awesome.

Also, for Vanheim the ability to summon Aesir.
I believe the Aesir are mostly dead (Description for the pretender Asynja), and there weren't a whole lot of them to begin with (Norse mythology).

As for summoning the Rimtursar, I suggest you skip the next part of this post for the summary.

I'm not too clear on this topic, but why would they be bigger than their descendants, the Niefel giants? Don't they die out between the early and middle ages instead of crossbreeding with lesser races like the other "special" races? This suggests, at least to me, that they CAN'T crossbreed with other races, and so only evolution could cause them to shrink in size. Seeing as the Niefel giants of the early era are considered old when they pass 1000 years suggests that they would normally breed between the ages of 300 and 900, the equivalent of 15 and 45 for humans. Tjatse the Abductor is around a thousand years old in the early ages (If you're lucky you get a few years before old age kicks in, if you're not he's already waiting for afflictions to pop in). He was up and about during the war with the Aesir, which means that unless he was frozen in a glacier for some time, that war was a pretty recent series of events. If the war was so close, then the current Niefel giants that are 350-750 years old are at most three generations away from the Rimtursar. It's unlikely that they would have lost much potential power, both physical and magical, over so short time. Even if he has recently been awakened from millenniums (millenia?) of slumber, then his own stats (One less natural protection, attack and defense, but otherwise equal to a normal Niefel Jarl's) should be enough evidence against larger, much stronger giants. Of course, he is a stronger magician than a jarl, so he's probably not as physically powerful as less magically inclined Rimtursar.

In short, the awakened Rimtursar should in my opinion be size 5 like their descendants the "normal" Niefel giants, and only marginally more powerful (Averaging perhaps one or two paths higher than Niefel Jarls). Of course, awakening the Rimtursar through a summoning ritual alone would be silly, so such a spell would have to be restricted to only be castable during the Illwinter (Or have it's cost reduced during the IW). If it's possible that spells can rely on globals, a national spell for the other norse nations to bring dead Aesir back from the underworld (As in alive, not undead.) through either raw magical power or a deal with Hel (If I remember correctly, this happens with Balder/Baldur in Norse mythology.) to combat the threat of the Illwinter and have another go at the Ragnarok would be equally nice.

Quote:
Autochthon said:So instead of setting underwater combat on the floor, make it near the surface and allow aquatic units to dive up from the depths, the inverse of what flying units do now.
I think that would create more problems than it solves. However, creating some new very lightly armed triton troops with the ability to swim up above the battlefield and strike from above like ordinary fliers, or giving some of the quickest aquatic troops that ability wouldn't be as bad as having meteorite guards swimming around in iron armor.

As a suggestion not based on anything I've seen anyone else post here: The amulet of the fish turns air into water around the wearer. Shouldn't this allow the wearer to cast the spell Summon Water Power anywhere?