This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo! > Scenarios and Mods

Old March 31st, 2006, 07:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Any Battle Requests?

----------------------Any Battle Requests?
Greetings All:

I have the Salvo Battle Generator almost ready for prime time and I am planning on making at least 3 new single battles for the code update. This will help prove the Generator code and also add to the update. I already have a Trafalgar roughed out, seeing at that is an easy first pick, but I wanted to see if there were any specific requests for #2 and # 3. The Nile? Navarno? No promises – just checking to see if there are any hot topics that I have missed.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:45 PM

Private

captcrunch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any Battle Requests?

how about a campaign that resembles the Aubery/Maturin series? Or the battle of Lake Erie?
Just a suggestion..
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

captcrunch

Not a bad idea, but I think the “Huzzah” campaign already in Salvo does a good job of capturing the intense action between the smaller (and often scratch built) ships of the great lakes battles. However, there is room for a more accurate historical model, so thanks for the suggestion!

I should also mention that the battle generator is not going to be able to produce entire campaigns, just customized battles.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Private

Aubrey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Andrew Lonon said:
captcrunch

Not a bad idea, but I think the “Huzzah” campaign already in Salvo does a good job of capturing the intense action between the smaller (and often scratch built) ships of the great lakes battles. However, there is room for a more accurate historical model, so thanks for the suggestion!

I should also mention that the battle generator is not going to be able to produce entire campaigns, just customized battles.

I prefer the small stuff meself - Valcour Island?

But you do a big one how about something involving land batteries. Copenhagen?
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aubrey

Do you have a source for the 'order of battle' for either Valcour Island or Copenhagen? I’m fairly sure I can get the British side for Copenhagen – but anything would help get the ball rolling….

Old May 16th, 2006, 02:35 AM

Private

cfw is on a distinguished road

Andrew - There are a couple of Actual battles in Christopher Lloyd's book 'Lord Cochrane" that are exciting, and do not involve too many ships. Of particular note is the chapter entitled the 'Cruise of the Speedy'. It Takes place off the South Eastern Coast of Spain. In fact the first Aubrey-Maturin Novel borrows heavily from precisely those battles. In fact O'Brian borrows heavily from Lord Cochrane's life through out the entire series.

Regarding Beta testing: I will have some time this summer (between World cup soccer games) to beta test anything for you. I'm not a computer geek, nor actually that of a good of a gamer, But I do like playing Salvo because I do enjoy the Napoleonic war period, both fiction and nonfiction.

FYI I play on a 20" Imac (1.8 G5) . I purchased Salvo directly from Shrapnel games so I am not aware of any downloadable patches if any. Let me know if I can be of service.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

Cfw:

That is excellent to hear – specially that you may be able to do some testing for the Mac builds. As far as testing goes, technical expertise is almost a no-no – the program (game) should simply work right. Interest in the perpetuation and refinement of Salvo is much more important.

It would be great if you could join the beta as a Mac tester- asap – because we are working on finishing up the testing for the current update and Mac testing is falling behind.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

All:

Looks like the battles are going to be Trafalgar, Lissa and a less historically accurate battle based on (inspired by?) the ‘Glorious First of June’ called-> Line Of Battle. The first two will be focused on the English side, but the last one takes the French perspective for the primary player. Lissa will be a good choice for a HotSeat game because it is a smaller action between smaller ships. Line Of Battle is a good choice for a BPEM game because the forces are already just about ready to engage – and there is lots to do or consider – so taking your time on each turn will pay off.

I just played Trafalgar again this evening and it’s a real set-to. I may need to readjust the French and Spanish quality settings – they got whooped. But then again I had my ‘Damage Factor’ way up – so I’ll have to verify that…

Old September 17th, 2006, 11:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aubrey:

OK – So Valcour Island’s got my interest. And I’m working on a Salvo rendition that I’ll post here. The best data I have now is at:

http://www.historiclakes.org/Valcour/valcour_chart.htm

However – this is still a little sparse – SO…. If anyone has a better order of battle then that would be a big help.