.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:25 AM

Private

OmegaMagus is on a distinguished road
Default Battlestar Galactica Mod

This mod has a working Battlestar Galactica and Viper models. I (tried) to recreate their weapons from the new SciFi series.

Galactica:
- Offensively she has an extreme-range missile launcher that fires four missile in succession. Each missile has a hi-yield warhead and is fast moving. Reload time is LONG.
- Defensively she has four point defense guns. Each rapidly fires metal slugs at short/medium range.
- She is big and she is slow, but she can take a beating. I tried to make her strong without completely unbalancing the game.

Vipers:
- Two forward facing, short-range machine guns. Low damage, but high rate-of-fire. Fires in bursts up to 25 rounds before reloading.
- One forward facing, medium-range missile launcher. Low damage, but fast and homing. Medium reload time.
- They are very fast, but also weak. If anything decent gets a hold on them, they are gone.

The graphics are not mine because I'm a programmer and not a (good) artist. So if you have any complaints about them being too bright or what not, please direct them to the Kawangi complaint department. They are located on all Yellow Kawangi star system harvester ships.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 403319-battlestar V1.0.zip (110.5 KB, 382 views)
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:40 AM

Private

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Mod

Well I already screwed up. I forgot to take away the foldspace option. Since it is late (for me) I won't bother fixing it, but let me know if you like it better with or without.
Old January 31st, 2006, 07:00 PM

Private

MajorDiarr is on a distinguished road

Nice concept but I did find problems with it.

- You used the bottom of the ship instead of the top.
- I'm pretty sure it does not fire missiles, it does fire large flak shells from the large guns, maybe even armor piercing shells, and has several hundred point defense guns.
- The fighters can carry powerful missiles but have done so only once.
- The fighter bays should be angled outward. 270 for the left and 90 for the right.
- I don't think Galactica should be given a shield since it doesn't have them in the show. At most I would give it the damage points it gets from the shield and put them into the armor. If it finds a shield it can use it though, that's fine.
- I think the fighters should have far better turning and maybe a little more speed. Maybe even make them smaller and Galactica bigger.

It looks promising.
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:16 PM

Private

Thanks for the responce, but there are two things I feel I need to clarify:
-The graphics I used for both the Galactica and the Viper were top-down shots of models. They are a bit on the bright side, but they are the tops of both ships. The Galatica model was made from scratch based on the new series and the Viper model was an actual model based on the original series. Both pictures were found online after days of searching.
-From what I have seen of the new series (every episode and through a microscope) the Galactica uses both long-range missiles as an offensive weapon (i.e. attacking Cylon Basestars) and hundreds of point-defense flak cannons as defensive ones. Unfortunately because of the game's built-in limitations I could not create hundreds of guns. I am creating a flak-style gun that looks more like what the show uses.

Your other suggestions have already made it into the mod:
-The Vipers move 50% and turn 200% faster (They now slid sideways a bit when they turn).
-The Viper missiles are twice as powerful but reload 10 times slower.
-When the Vipers launch they now face the right direction.
-The Galactica now has a huge amount of armour and no shield.
-Glactica cannot fold space anymore.
-The Galactica is 1/3 larger.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 403520-battlestar V1.1.zip (110.5 KB, 216 views)
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:27 PM

Private

After some tweaking and play testing (since I have nothing better to do at the moment) here is a small update.

-Replaced the Galactica's point-defense cannons with flak cannons
-Tweaked the armour for Galactica, she can no longer ram a Kawangi ship and survive
-Really truely truely really took away Galactica's folding space ability (I promise this time)
-Galactica no longer takes system damage (the ship systems were failing in seconds while under fire and Galactica's armour was barely scratched)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 403538-battlestar V1.1b.zip (111.1 KB, 239 views)
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:49 AM

Private

eelektrik is on a distinguished road

So I downloaded your latest version and honestly, Its way too powerful. This thing can take on a Yellow Kawangi with default equipment in the simulator and survive with only at most 25% off its health, It really shouldnt be able to survive that at all by itself. Most of the time you never get within range to even shoot anything because you have so many fighters. It takes all the fun out of the game when you pretty much cant die.

Personally, Id cut the armor at least in half if not more, reduce the number of fighter bays, and start you with a shield... Id also ditch the starting hyperdrive... And having the Mercenary give you a second Battlestar is really overkill. Also, the model really is a bit too big compared to everything you fight.
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:25 AM

Private

But that's the whole point! =b~

Seriously, now that I have more time to play, I'm going to get things a bit more rounded out. I was probably a bit too excited about putting this out and following through on the suggestions as fast as possible I kinda got carried away.
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:18 PM

Private

MajorDiarr is on a distinguished road

This is the top of the Galactica, you can tell by the fact that you can read the name of the port nacelle.

This is the bottom.

Here are other shots.
http://www.starshipbuilder.com/ubb/F...ML/000001.html

If you want the weapons to be more like Galactica's you should make the point defense guns fire like the meteor gun, which fires like a shot gun, just make it do so rapidly.

Galactica seems to turn slightly too fast in the new mod. I like it with no shield and I really do think a more shot gun like effect might help.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:06 PM

Private

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out, sorry I didn't believe you when you first commented on the orientation of the Galactica. The problem is being fixed, and so are the balancing issues.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM

Private

Default Battlestar Galactica Mod Update

Here is the updated MOD.

-Changed Galactica model (now she flies right-side-up)
-Galactica turns slower
-Galactica's armour has been significantly reduced
-Galactica's flak cannons now fire slower, with less damage, but fire more like the micro-meteorite gun (shotgun-esk)
-The Vipers launch faster, but only 8 can be flying at any one time
-The Viper's missile reloades slightly faster
-The Vipers are slightly larger and have slightly stronger armour (although it still amounts to jack when near any big guns)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 403944-battlestar V1.2.zip (94.8 KB, 253 views)