.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Faerun 466 - Now with Adventure Map!

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Aezeal, province 453 (Surbrin Valley), which is east of Mithril Hall should not be startable on the Adventure map, because it doesn't have enough non-special neighbors. That's a map bug, just like 326 and 327 (Tilverton and Deepingdale) being neighbors.

It is true that the Sword Coast area has somewhat more special provinces than the rest of the map, though there are specials around the Moonsea, Thay, Aglarond and also in the south (Halruaa, Dambrath, etc) and in the Old Kingdoms (Mulhorand etc).

Even though the Sword Coast has somewhat more of the big specials, the map should be MP balanced for victory point play. That's because while the East has not as many high VP specials, it has comparatively more non-special VP provinces which are easier to take while the big ones require substantial resources.

I took a look at the file and it looks like I should add a couple more specials to the East, the Moonsea North and also the Vilhon Reach area. The problem with that is that I stopped collecting FR stuff at around the time D&D went to 3rd Edition (no money and too much stuff coming out at the same time). Shaar, Chult and the Bloodstone North / Endless Wastes area could also use something.

The thing is, I threw the adventure map together on a little bit shorter notice than was perhaps good, but the important thing was to get it out. It is easier to tweak later rather than just begin everything from scratch. It's also important to get feedback like this, because it helps highlight the areas that need more work.
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Hmm I must say I did start in Surbin valley, but 3 of my neighbours didn't appear to be very special (419,417, 452)
Though one of them might have had some wizards roaming around, not sure. (I tried to check but... your file isn't very open (why do you type everything just behind the next and not just make a nice new line per province?) to readers)

a small suggestion would be to make the poptype of the Evermoors trolls btw, seems to fit better with the books

Another, larger, suggestion: how about adding an underdark map (this map isn't wraparound so you could just put it beneath it) I've seen the map I think you used on the web and there was a similar underdark map, but lower res and probably not usable, but I'm sure there must be something to use for this. Just a suggestion for when you have some spare time

Seems there should be a (new) game on this map soon then , 2 bad I don't have time to start it myself.

(any reader with the same opinion: please set up a game and reserve a place for me, my personal suggestion would be EA since it fits the magical forgotten realms, Dnd style best, mod nations could also be an option.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM

The criteria for startable provinces is supposed to be 5 or more, or at the very least 4 non-special neighbors so that early expansion is facilitated. It also spreads the start locations around a bit more.

Trolls for Evermoors would be thematic, but it would completely unbalance that map section because of all the other specials there too. So not happening. Might be I'll put lizards there or something else.
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

you could make the recruits trolls though but just have it defended by other stuff (or just add a few trolls to whatever, the lizards for example, you put there.)

Personally I'd rather face trolls with my SC pretender than a curse from a lizzie shaman.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

As I had to go over the map file to set up Doedicurus on Llamaserver, I thought I might as well post up the .map file with fixes to the two issues mentioned.

Edit: I've noticed another issue. Corwell (194) has the population set at 12000, which will cripple a nation that starts there. Should they be on #nostart too?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dom3_Faerun_466_Fixes.zip (17.0 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by Gregstrom; October 29th, 2008 at 11:20 AM..
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
As I had to go over the map file to set up Doedicurus on Llamaserver, I thought I might as well post up the .map file with fixes to the two issues mentioned.

Edit: I've noticed another issue. Corwell (194) has the population set at 12000, which will cripple a nation that starts there. Should they be on #nostart too?
Hmm, that opo assignment is probably just an artifact of earlier times and should not be there. I'm going to put out fixed map files of my own probably tomorrow.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

Raurin Desert (161) lists 4 special sites and are guarded by fearsome garrison. Shall it have #killfeatures?
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:22 PM

If it is guarded by something that chews iron ore and spits out nails, it's a fairly safe bet that #killfeatures is in play.
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

Well, then that's something you might want to change.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konming View Post
Well, then that's something you might want to change.
Why? There are no map commands that make it more likely to give rare sites or powerful sites, so eventually people will know some of the good provinces to go for.

If I remove the #killfeatures command from those provinces, there might be a crapload of defenders there, but they could end up guarding a list that looks like

Brigand Lair
Tar Pits
Battlefield
Iron Cliff

for a grand total of +5 unrest, 1F, 1D, 1E or equivalent.

Of course, the more likely outcome is that there will be something random and something scripted (depending on site frequency, higher is worse for scripted if #killfeatures is not in play).

It's a difficult balancing act to do, which is why some provinces are going to stay killfeatured. Some may change.