Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM

Corporal

Backis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Merkava 4 MBT

Quote:
JaM said:
As I stated in my PM to you (and you seemed to be agreeing with), we'd better do this in PM...
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:36 PM

Sergeant

JaM is on a distinguished road

It will not ricochet.It will deflect it.Deflected APFSDS penetrators broke up after impact.They penetrate armor due to concentration of kinetic energy to a small square of armor.If they are deflected they hit armor with body, not with tip, so they broke.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM

Corporal

Backis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JaM said:
Look at the shape of Merkava Mk1 turret.It is extremly sloped vertically and horizontally. It had good protection, but only from straight front. 30° front side hit will stand against much lower armor.Merkava turret is much smaller than M1 turret.Why? To make smallest target in hull down position. Tank primarilly used for attack will have armor much more resistant from 30° hits.Look at Soviet tanks, their turret had best protection at turret front corners, not in the center.It is simple, if you attack, you dont know from where fire come at you, so it is best to have more armor at front side of turet, to stop penetration, and give crew time to respond.(this was soviet lesson from ww2, where most destroyed tanks were penetrated in front side turret,becouse of german tankfire ambush tactics - best way to kill IS-2 with 75L48 was shoot at side turret armor). At the other side, if you are defending, you dont need strong front side armor, all fire will come at you from straight front.
Thank you.

I don't disagree with this, just that it shouldn't be interpreted as a "general" superiority in protection as you stated early on.

What you yourself here has stated is that the Abrams general turret armour layout (as opposed to difference induced by material) gives better coverage against emerging threats within a larger area of angle than the Merkava turret armour layout does, whose armour layout in its turn is optimised and better for a more narrow angle of frontal threat.

Both are choices and compromises superior as well as inferior to each other depending on the tactical situation.

Unfortunately the SP engine cannot handle this since the "arc" angles cannot be varied between models, forcing "compromised" values.

Comparing a situation which favour either design over another don't give a reasonable interpretation of capability.

This is why I opposed the "Merkavas are much better protected than Abrams" claim, which is true under some circumstances but not others.

Why didn't I just write that to begin with?

And I do apologize to you for repeatedly getting aggressive towards you JaM, I have no idea why I've gotten this way, but I'll work on stopping it...
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:52 AM

Sergeant

Yes in game we could do very little to simulate this.First SP2 had for example all armor values stated for 30° protection, butthis at the other side punnish all differently constructed tanks as Merkava. Maybe lowered side armor is the way...

As i said, my english is not pefect, so i have tendency to ovesimlify things.Sorry for that.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:04 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road

About Merkaca turret - does not forward sloped turret kinde of contradict urban combat/LIC concept ? Is that the legacy problem only ? IDF pdie themself beeng pioneer tank urban combat tactic...
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM

Sergeant

That is why they uparmored Mk3B and Mk2B with 4.th generation passive armor (Dor Dalet versions). Merkava Mk4 has new turret, with much better side protection than early models.
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
loktarr said:
I FOUND IT: THE SITE WHICH WAS USED BY DON AND ANDY TO DO THE GAME!!! :
http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/protect.htm
everything ids here for MBT stats
You may find this difficult to beleive but today was the first time I have ever seen that website. Someone else on the team in the past may have used some of this info.... IDK. But I didn't.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Private

jason78666 is on a distinguished road

Anyone have success fighting Merkava 4 in spMBT game? If so, what weapons/armies were you using? I have friend who uses Israeli army and I have not found a weapon yet to effectively deal with Merkavas in this game. Realistic or not, it makes the game a bit unbalanced if you can't destroy a tank or even immobilize it.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:52 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: The Merkava 4 MBT

This is just for FYI purposes only!! Point is just like "fashion" some topics never go away. Found this actually on the internet in one of my search modes for the MERKAVA IV last night well into this morning. Some might find this interesting when the MERKAVA IV was much newer to the scene. I believe it's just off the 31 page counter as I'm writing this off the internet link I found. I just focused on the first page so I don't yet know if the thread went off topic on the later pages as of yet, but again, it might be worth a look as I believe based on the date this is a very early post to the current site.
Enjoy!

PS
Based on the last page it stayed on topic.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 3rd, 2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Upon review.