.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Private

Resok is on a distinguished road
Default Who else pre-ordered...

...as soon as it was available from Shrapnel? I know personally I have alot of faith in Illwinter and their game design vision as shown in Dominions 2. As soon as I found out about Dom3 coming out and looked over the planned feature-list, I was hooked and pre-ordered immediately. Anyone else do the same?

I know I'd much rather spend 50$ supporting an indi game company that focuses on depth of gameplay as opposed to sparkly graphics and mass appeal. Too many developers are afraid of the cost-to-return ratio on making niche market games without broad appeal. So we end up with alot of generalized game titles that are trying to appeal to far too many people and thus lack depth in their core gameplay.

Anyway, I'm rambling... my main point is to show my support for Illwinter and ask if anyone else has the same feelings. Call me a fanboi if you want but I feel quite strongly about supporting Illwinter by pre-ordering and having confidence in their next step forward in the vast and complex Dominions world.

All in all, much for Illwinter and really looking forward to the release.

Resok
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who else pre-ordered...

I did of course...but as we know, Doms3 preorder broke the old preorder record at Shrapnel, so I guess, the game will sell very good.
I have the same feelings like you btw, I always prefer gameplay over gfx and such stuff. Doms2 got awesome gameplay, and that is what matters. Some ppl here says that "Doms3 looks like an expansion pack for Doms2." This is definitely not true, there will be tons of new content, AI fixing, great modability etc.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I did. Thanks for the reminder since I have more I need to order also and I wanted to spread them out on the credit card. Its time for me to order another.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:38 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

I will be pre-ordering soon... the game will most likely be very good.

The only thing us gamers have to worry... is if some bad feature was introduced into DOM_3... such as the 'auto_surrender' seen in AOW:SM. Luckily the AOW community pulled together and convinced the developers to move this into being an option.

If one or two nations are much stronger... I see this as a good thing because it will provide more challenging SP games and new gamers would have a better chance in MP.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Of course one or two nations will be much stronger. Dont you remember the early days of Dom2? What we all saw later in new players, all the players went thru at the same time in early Dom2. We all, at the same time, decided that Ulm was too powerful. Then we all decided Ermor was unbeatable. Then Arcos had too much magic. It took forever for us to get thru the whole list to figure out that there was some balance. Then years more to pin down some imbalances we could actually agree on.

And Dom3 will have at LEAST 3 times as many nations?!?
Of course one will be too powerful, and then another, and then another
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:57 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I have much faith in IW and I've preorderd as soon as it was possible
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
If one or two nations are much stronger...
I am sure there will be few nations that are much stronger. And there will be a lot of arguments in this forum about which are those nations
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Corporal

Tortanick is on a distinguished road

I preordered and I can't wait to get Biblical on someone, fire and brimstone style
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I preordered
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

It would be nice if those who preordered (like me ;-)) would be part of an open betatest.