Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 17th, 2002, 10:58 PM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

OH mah achin' hed...

been trying to figger out the "flow" of jumpgate/jump engine tech....
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:04 AM

Sergeant

javaslinger is on a distinguished road

Is there some reason there is a priority on Standard SEIV over Gold?

I imagine it's because the developers haven't yet upgraded to gold or for some reason consider it inferior??

What's the story there?

Thanks,

Ken
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:14 AM

Private

Jamorobo is on a distinguished road

your playing Gold Version of the mod. The mod is mainly designed for normal se4 not gold, although a gold Version has been made. The latest non-gold Version is .30 where the latest gold Version i could find was .29 which is one update behind the non-gold Version which sorted out a few but not all of the bugs.

The non-gold Version can be foundm on the PBW website as said below. the only gold Version i have found is in the general mods forum in the se4 thred on mods etc. ( i gave better directions to it a few pages back in this thred. )
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:37 AM

Corporal

Gil Hamilton is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jamorobo. It was probably your post whence I saw where to find it. (Ignore Shakespeare rolling over noises!) Took forever to d/l and incomplete at that!

Guess I'll have to break down and buy a copy of SEIV non-Gold I wonder at the decision to go with non-Gold...... I'm sure I'll still want things in SEIV Gold after SEV is released though, so I'm not complaining.
If he'd reached it all kinds of hell would have broken loose, Haine's men would have hypoed me, and I would have regained consciousness a piece at a time, in Haine's organ-storage tanks. So I strangled him. -Death By Ecstasy-Larry Niven
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:37 AM

Major General

Yeah, the latest Gold Version of the B5 MOD is a bit behind. It was done by PDF back in late May, early June and is a bit behind in bug fixes.

Up to you if you want to fix yourself or simply post the rrors here. I been messing with Gold a bit myself, mainly getting both the "Standard" and the "Gold" AI drafted for the race-specific and fleshing out the neat stuff like jump engine research.

An easy way to covert the main error of "Standard" AI to "Gold" are in settings and fleet files. I know the file part are the 4-5 lines about drones and the setting, IIRC, are statements on defense . You could just rework those files to make a Gold Version from Standard but I am not sure of other subtle-type differences.

Javaslinger: Only Val knows for sure. I think once the PBW game is done and any bugs squashed any final tweaking shouldn't take TOO long. ConVersion to Gold isn't to hard, IMHO anyways, so maybe a month after the Standard is finished Gold should be done. I know this isn't the definitive answer but I am not sure any facility-type race-specific goodies that need to be done. Most weapon stuff is done except for a few pics.

Biggest job to be done is the AI files for the race specific stuff and to add the rest of the general facilties and components (research & designcreation files mostly).

[ August 17, 2002, 13:14: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old August 18th, 2002, 02:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

No. It is developed under 1.49 so that all those who haven't or won't but Gold can play it. It is a simple matter to update mods and AIs to be Gold compatible. It is a lot more work going the other way.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 18th, 2002, 03:51 AM

Major General

Found out one thing: BLasted Shadows WILL invade, Brakiri (testing their AI) just lost an optimum/oxygen/rock huge planet to those sleeze balls...

Shadows did it again. Soooooo, it seems that at least in SOME games they will get planets the hard way...by invasion. Good thing since they can't colonize the "normal" way.

Javaslinger: What Imperator F said. Only takes a few relatively minor tweaks to go to Gold from Standard SEIV. So once standard is done, it should be too long before Gold will be out.

[ August 18, 2002, 14:04: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old August 18th, 2002, 02:14 PM

Major General

Question: Which races had jump gate and/or jump engines in B5? I believe the Minbari did, who else?

That tech is a can of worms (3 other techs are required to develope jump capability), so me trying to reduce the headache of making the research file(s).
Old August 18th, 2002, 02:39 PM

Private

Jamorobo is on a distinguished road

yes minbari do have jump drive/ gate tech, their jump drive genarator is also smaller than earth and centuri jumpdrives as they have them in white star, ships which are small compared to the earth/centuri ships that can carry a jump drive. Earth gets their jump gate tech off the centuri who i think get it off the minbari, narn also get theirs off the centuri and they steal most of the tech they have from them.

Shadows and vorlons definatly have it.
Old August 18th, 2002, 03:09 PM

Major General

Thanks Jamorobo! Updated the Shadows to 2 of the 5 levels of jump engine tech. Now to (oh my achin' hed!) for the armor....

BTW any ideas on what armor prefferred by the races? So far no organic tech available (Whitestar had some kinda metallo-organic IIRC) but other than that what?

Here are the choices:

Inert Armor
Scattering Armor
Refractive Armor
Channeling Armor
Conductive Armor
Emissive Armor

What race used what? Especially the 5 "main" ones (EA, Minabari, Vorlons, Centauri, Shadows)

[ August 18, 2002, 14:50: Message edited by: pathfinder ]