.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Sleeping pretenders

Okay, by now we've all heard of this Awakening, but what exactly does this feature do? Disables a pretender that is set sleeping for X number of turns? Why would anybody pick this? Or are we made to pick it?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sleeping pretenders

Design points, I would guess.

A thematic way to work it might be to have priests call him back as if he'd died. Without the path loss though.
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

RonD is on a distinguished road

Sounded to me like it was a choice at pretender creation. If so, why pick it? One would presume that the Designers, having designed wisely in many things so far, will have provided.

In other words: I guess you'll get a bonus of some sort if you choose to have your pretender start asleep. Should make for yet another of those tough decisions that make Dominions a deep strategy game.
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

My guess:
- extra design points
- thematic reasons
- probably Call God command/mechanic
- look at this screenshot:

http://shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/D...s/com_zoom.jpg
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Lieutenant General

I think that in that screenie Shinuyama has been pwned by Pythium. Look at the wounds on the commanders.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If you got extra points to assign to scales, magic, dominion, etc from having your god not available until turn 10 or 20 or something like that, you cant come up with a strategy for it?

Of course its not for everyone but I can see it as a tactic. I could create a god that isnt really needed for the early part of the game.

In fact, if I design a combat god that I want to make good use of equipment (like that 4-armed god) then it would be REALLY a good idea for me NOT to have them available till later. I tend to be too tempted to use them early against independents with no equip and lose them.

Also Ive created nations where I took really low dominion candles because I didnt want my dominion to be visible over a large distance. But Ive lost gods because I didnt get my dom up in time to save him. This way I can put it of for some turns until my dom is naturally abit higher

Hmm I also remember taking that ghost king guy and some others only for their benefits in what shows up "when their dominion is strong". I can see putting them off for awhile in order to get more points since they dont tend to generate anything for the first 10 turns or so anyway
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
If you got extra points to assign to scales, magic, dominion, etc from having your god not available until turn 10 or 20 or something like that, you cant come up with a strategy for it?
---
In fact, if I design a combat god that I want to make good use of equipment (like that 4-armed god) then it would be REALLY a good idea for me NOT to have them available till later.
Oh, yes I can come up with, and it's sorta concern of mine. If it gives you design points you, well, do exactly that. Better scales plus a combat pretender avaitable just when she/she gets usefull...

- Kristoffer O.