.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 1st, 2006, 09:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 Wishlist

A suggestion meant to improve defence potential, and encourage (better?) castles.

Some castle types would allow INSTANT attack on adjacent province. By instant I mean 'such move happens before other moves'. It would make it easier to defend your lands if you invest some money in proper defense.

Althrough Watch Tower sounds like the tool for the job, it's probably not a good idea to have this special on already overused 0 point structure.
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road

The number of calvary units isn't huge, when you take out things like spider riders and such. My main concern however is for commander class units, as giving up an item slot doesn't make much sense. There are plenty of other commander units with equal mobility and they still retain their slot.

The dismounting of calvary, is just a work around. I would really like to see it as a general option for all mounted units, as calvary often did dismount to fight. But you are right that at this point its not likely to happen.

What you suggested is another solution however, adding horse/mount specific slot and duplicating the key footwear thematically. Bridles of Earth (+1E), or Barding of the Mountains (Essentially boots of stone). Theres lots of options here, wouldn't take a whole lot of work, and be easy to implement. The footwear options are really limited in the first place, and there are only 2 that I can think of that warrented the elimination of the foot slot (Long Stride, Flying Boots). On the other hand...can't you get armor that allows you to fly?
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:26 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

No, you can't get armor that allows you to fly... if you're mounted. The Stymphalian Wings can't be worn by mounted troops. Which may be a good thing since I had this vision of what a quickened Allfather (Size 6, AP 80!) could do trampling. Especially since he wouldn't have suffered from the armor's high encumbrance.
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:59 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Some DOM_3 ideas so map-editors can make more interesting SP games:
provinces on the map which are one-way only ??
or
provinces with restricted access where only specific nations can reach them??
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

Support for external music !
Pleaaase ! Some people are crazy about music and would love to use custom soundtracks while playing Dominions. I'm no expert on licensing, but I believe at least OGG support could be implemented without additional trouble.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

No, you can't get armor that allows you to fly... if you're mounted. The Stymphalian Wings can't be worn by mounted troops.

Then the ability to limit items based on certain conditions is already in the code. It would be no great effort to give the shoe slot to mounted commanders and limit what shoes they could use.
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Right, I've kept quiet about this for a while, and I think the time has finally come to make myself heard.

I'd like land sharks*. Because land sharks are cool. And games incorporating land sharks are cool, by extension.

* Not the D&D creatures of the same name, either. Proper land sharks, as fearsome as they are implausible. Stealthy, too. And able to work doorknobs, if there are doors in Dom III.

Edit: On an unrelated note, I dig Wick's rider/steed idea immensely. Fun and hypothetically balanced! Pity it'd either look hideous, or take almost a full game's worth of artwork.
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

One quick suggestion, don't know if its already been made....

The ability to paste in the network address window. A lot of games have this ability, and it would make managing multiple games easier. If its too late to do that, then an external MP launcher. You could have a IP List, and just select a server to connect to, game would automatically launch and connect.
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
The ability to paste in the network address window.
Too much coding issues for too little gain.
You may have noticed that Dom does not use the standard (OS-provided) file selection dialogues as well ..

Quote:
.. then an external MP launcher. You could have a IP List, and just select a server to connect to, game would automatically launch and connect.
Won't work (that easily): 90% of the players don't have a fixed IP, so you would have to type in the IP again and again nevertheless.

If you really want such a MP launcher, tell me and I write one for you ... .
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

Another idea is a "favorites" option within the program. That can't be too hard to code.

I don't play blitz games (yet) which is what I suspect you were reffering to. I am playing in 4 QH games, on 3 different servers, and am looking at getting into more. Forcing us to input the same IP's daily, is an added step that could easily be removed.

I would love an MP launcher, if you could write that, I would be really grateful.

With an external MP launcher, you wouldn't have to type anything. Cut N Paste the IP from IRC/Forums/Note Pad and away you go. As long as I don't have to manually type an IP address I'd be happy.