.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Private

Martock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Changing Support Point Totals in Campaigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinegata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martock View Post
I've always added 1 set of ammo bunkers and 2 sets of ammo trucks to my core for the very reason you listed of increased survival.
For my MBT campaigns I generally do add some ammo sections as well as part of the company's organic resupply team, largely to resupply units with low ammo (ATGM teams in particular).

In WW2 I tend not to buy ammo trucks at all except for Defense missions. It's rare that you'll run out of bullets for a company-sized action, though there was one mission where my Polish Matildas were reloading while under fire from Italian tanks. Somehow the Italians had 60+ tanks coming after us. It was a whole fraking Armored Division!
I can definitely see that at the ATGM's of SPMBT - as for WW2, I do so as I tend to have mortars, on-board artillery, and quite a few engineers / snipers. I tend to have to reload the snipers more often than others. Having 1 set of Supply Bunkers, even at 200+ a set, has been well worth it to me. I've lost quite a few units to ammo trucks going up and them being adjacent. I've learned from that mistake but occasionally it does happen.
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Stop trying to justify when you haven't even answered my question yet at all. Is there a way to change support point totals? Does it change based on core size? Answer the damn question before waxing poetic about tangential topics about how I should play the game the way YOU bloody like.
Thought I had in my second post when said support is about 10-15% of your core minimum 750 blah blah. So as far as I know you cant change it it varies based on core size & meeting type, is that clearer?

As you wanted more support points I then resugested putting stuff used regulary in your core & yes cant understand the need for lambs
Quote:
3)This gives you more support points available every battle.
In fact your support point total might go up to as your core has increased though did not mention that.
Then yes gave you some reasons why its not such a bad idea which you did not ask for as seemed anti doing so.

Quote:
What if you'd like to be leading a core US supporting allies who are bought via support points? You can't exactly buy allies using core points.
Dont get shirty but the answers in the question, you want your core to support the support.
A way to do it is buy lower quality allies say Russia supported by Poland & use there infantry having a mainly armoured core. You will never get enough support points to buy much of there armour but playing as a Tank Co you can buy a couple of Inf Co Scout sections or whatever.

Last edited by Imp; August 14th, 2009 at 08:13 PM..
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM

Private

Zinegata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Thought I had in my second post when said support is about 10-15% of your core minimum 750 blah blah.
From your second post:

"I would disagree & guessing here"

So are you sure about this now or not?

You know what? Never mind. I'll just try it out myself.
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Private

Zinegata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've always added 1 set of ammo bunkers and 2 sets of ammo trucks to my core for the very reason you listed of increased survival.
For my MBT campaigns I generally do add some ammo sections as well as part of the company's organic resupply team, largely to resupply units with low ammo (ATGM teams in particular).

In WW2 I tend not to buy ammo trucks at all except for Defense missions. It's rare that you'll run out of bullets for a company-sized action, though there was one mission where my Polish Matildas were reloading while under fire from Italian tanks. Somehow the Italians had 60+ tanks coming after us. It was a whole fraking Armored Division!
I can definitely see that at the ATGM's of SPMBT - as for WW2, I do so as I tend to have mortars, on-board artillery, and quite a few engineers / snipers. I tend to have to reload the snipers more often than others. Having 1 set of Supply Bunkers, even at 200+ a set, has been well worth it to me. I've lost quite a few units to ammo trucks going up and them being adjacent. I've learned from that mistake but occasionally it does happen.
For company level actions I tend not to use a lot of artillery - I usually have around just 4 or 5 missons and the starting ammo is usually enough especially since I tend to go for a set of off-map tubes.

Snipers do tend to have an ammo problem in WW2 though.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Private

Martock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For company level actions I tend not to use a lot of artillery - I usually have around just 4 or 5 missons and the starting ammo is usually enough especially since I tend to go for a set of off-map tubes.

I always try to start out with 1 set of field artillery and their transport. By the time I hit the french campaign, I'll be able to field 4 SiG's instead of 2 15cm guns and 2 trucks. Those SiG's are eventually converted into the rocket mounted halftracks down the line. More inaccurate in indirect fire but devastating when fired directly. Having vet ammo trucks and bunkers just sweetens that deal in that they don't flee at the first shell exploding in the distance. I've even wonder, though I doubt it's true, if vet ammo units restock other units faster. Would be nice if that were true.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:

I've even wonder, though I doubt it's true, if vet ammo units restock other units faster. Would be nice if that were true.
Don't waste your core pt.s on them ammo units, support units are just as good.
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Don't waste your core pt.s on them ammo units, support units are just as good.
They might resupply at the same max rate, but definately not just as good. Even a little H&I fire incoming will send support units scrambling, even if they are dug in. Veteran units will stick tight, esp. if dug in, and they rally easier, raising the practical resupply rate.

Matt
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:49 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Same with trucks survive better rally so you can move to safety or unload. Besides for great service for your country you might become mechanised so switch them for HTs later on.
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:

I always try to start out with 1 set of field artillery and their transport. By the time I hit the french campaign, I'll be able to field 4 SiG's instead of 2 15cm guns and 2 trucks. Those SiG's are eventually converted into the rocket mounted halftracks down the line. More inaccurate in indirect fire but devastating when fired directly. Having vet ammo trucks and bunkers just sweetens that deal in that they don't flee at the first shell exploding in the distance. I've even wonder, though I doubt it's true, if vet ammo units restock other units faster. Would be nice if that were true.
Suppressed ammo units do not supply as well, or do not supply at all. Immobile unit crews (ie bunkers, dumps, ammo carriers that have been immobilised) - may run for the rear.

Better morale may therefore make the difference to units under counter battery fire. But better still not to be under CB fire in the first place with units that can explode with the force of up to several 1000lb bombs beside your experienced arty.

Therefore - I prefer to buy ammo supply from support, and to resupply away from the firing line (drive SPA back to a replenishment line, or pick up mortar teams with a halftrack) and move to a new firing position when topped up.

It takes time for a mortar team to build up experience, and so become more responsive to fire requests. I did the "bad" thing and parked a komsolets by one of my teams the other day. It blew up due to incoming fascist fires, and wiped the expert mortar section alongside it. Now that particular team is back to 2.5 initial delay where the other in the platoon is at 1 point something ... GRR !

As to the initial query re support points: Use the button to use up excess build points as support points. (Game Guide -> Purchase Screen -> Use Repair Points).

I am on a most difficult setting campaign, with AI forces set to 120% and usually have around 6K points sloshing about in the repair pool, since my casualties are never massive. But I find the 1700 points or so I get for an advance is quite sufficient to buy 6 or so 107mm batteries, and a few BA-64 armour cars, cavalry scouts etc., so never use that option.

Andy