.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old October 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Private

themattcurtis is on a distinguished road
Default Blackhorse!

I'd have loved to put a full-blown AAR here because this scenario was a blast to play

But...I can't take screenshots in full screen mode?

Print screen and the Ultima Online tool (which works great for the CM series, Flashpoint Germany, etc, gives me utter garbage with my SPMBT stills). What do folks here use?

Anyway....wanted to say that up until now I never really tried SPMBT, but with the free download I'm hooked and will get the disc in short order.

With the scenario, without providing any spoilers, I will say the "farmers" were a brilliant touch. The map was large enough and my forces dispersed enough to make developing a real game plan a legitimate challenge. And the game itself was a blast, just when I was using my Bradley mounted scout teams.

Tried a lot of scoot and shoot, picking off a BMP here, a T-72 there, then reversing back into concealment (read wooded terrain) immediately after popping off those shots. Managed to avoid the arty that would typically fall soon after...and managed to delay the Reds a good while with those pickets acting as a sort of forlorn hope. Really, that was my favorite part of the whole battle -- and one section of two vehicles managed to wrack up about a dozen kills before dismounted Russian troops managed to close with us in the woods -- by now the bad guys were everywhere in that area. One Bradley bit it, the other broke into the open south of the treeline, saw a horde of enemy armor and managed to sprint to safety after popping smoke....lot of fun

Can't believe it took me this long to get into this game.
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blackhorse!

For Full Screen Mode I use a program called FRAPS. It takes movies (never tried to do that yet though) as well as screenshots and leaves no watermark. For Windowed Mode I use the "Print Screen" key.
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Corporal

Siddhi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blackhorse!

what a timely post, i was just thinking about that very same scenario after replaying again for the nth-time.

IMHO this scenario easily deserves the "best tank scenario" award, perhaps even the best scenario overall. Not only is it highly realistic, with terrain accurately modeled and fire-and-manuver considerations paramount, but it also plays to the best elements of WINSPMBT. the timings and deployments of the various Soviet elements are also right-on, giving the scenario a very accurate 'feel' that many other scenarios can't match . many designers misrepresent the classic MRR attack, either compressing the entire attack into tiny attack corridors or massive 'waves' with virtually no seperation of BN elements. this o/c could well have happened, however is not realistic especially in the scenario covered so well.

also, of course, the timing is perfect. 1986 gives us a balanced technological field, with M1s slowly comming in to play however still evidently inferior to the T-80s.

i WISH there would be a BLACKCAV CAMPAIGN to the standard presented here - the standard squadron TO&E lends itself perferectly for a balanced core unit conents.