.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 30th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Private

hippyjohn is on a distinguished road
Default scenario design - range for AI to open fire

I am trying to set-up a scenario so that two AI controlled Panzer IV lie in long grass with a good forward view of about 25 hexes (Scenario Visibilty = 30).

I want to simulate that they have been given orders not to open fire until the enemy is within 400m or 8 hexes.

I have very little experience of scenario design, have read the game manual and Mobhack manual and I have searched the forums before posting but can't find the answer to this problem. Game is winSPWW2-CD-version 5.0 upgradeded WinSPWW2v7.11_(2014).

Setup.

EDITOR > DEPLOY > Y : RANGE set to 8 hexes for each PzKw IV

Tested Scenario.

AI holds OpFire when opponent is taking its turn until range is 8 hexes.
AI opens fire with both PzKw IV during its own turn as soon as the enemy are within their sights, Range 22 hexes.

How can I prevent the AI opening fire during its own turn until the range is 8 hexes?

Thanks,

John.
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:08 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: scenario design - range for AI to open fire

Deploy them in a reverse slope position or aiming at the flank of the enemy advance with one side in defilade.
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:32 AM

Private

Hi Ts4ever, thanks for your quick reply.
I've played a few of your scenarios and value your input.

It makes sense to use the terrain to limit the field of view of the AI but its an indirect approach to the problem. Alternatively I guess I could also reduce the visibility.

However what I really wanted was to tell the AI not to open fire until 8 hexes (Orders), even if they can see the enemy before then.

Is there any way of directly controlling the behaviour of the AI's Range during its own turn?

thanks.
Old September 30th, 2014, 11:30 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

A) Set the range using the Y key (both free demo and full game)

B) If you have the full game, set up opfire filtering. (That scheme will transfer if the scenario is then played by a free demo user).

C) All the opfire filters 'open up' to include whatever fired at the unit, so that it will return fire on someone shooting specifically at it, and not just sit there dumbly as a range target.

However - as you have found out that will only apply to opportunity fire.

The Ai's own fire decisions for targeting regular firing in its own turn is completely under programme control. That is not modifiable by the end user.

I suppose I could set up an 'ambush' flag so that AI units only will self-target what fits its opfire filtering, for those scenario designers who have the full game. Might be worth investigating if there is enough demand.

Andy
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:32 PM

Private

thanks Andy,

for clarifying the situation regarding the AI's decision making during their own turn. Your "ambush flag" would make logical sense. I realize its a code change, so no pressure if no-one else wants it.

I'm thinking that with the code as it stands, setting opfire filter for the AI would in most circumstances only tend to handicap them. The AI will give their position away during their own turn regardless of any opfire range set and having done so still be unable to fire at any out of range targets advancing during the opponents turn unless those targets fire on them first. I'm struggling to think of a situation where setting an opfire range for the AI makes sense other than FO or Patrol who want to stay hidden when an enemy unit passes them by.

If I do set range filtering for the AI in future I will use the opfire filter as you suggest.

Thanks for the info,

John.