.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old October 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to use airmobile and panzergrenadiers?

As far as the game goes,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
For air mobile troops (aka using helos to transport troops),...
...They can't provide fire support or cover for your infantry if you need them, nor a quick way out of the fight.
Correct with a twist! Some soviet/russian transport helos can provide decent support to the troops (compared to their western counterparts). So if you're approaching a "hot" landing zone the player may consider the option to proceed with the landing rather then getting the hell(icopter) outa there! But in most cases transport helos must be treated as "fragile" units (more so when they're loaded).
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to use airmobile and panzergrenadiers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplitis View Post
As far as the game goes,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
For air mobile troops (aka using helos to transport troops),...
...They can't provide fire support or cover for your infantry if you need them, nor a quick way out of the fight.
Correct with a twist! Some soviet/russian transport helos can provide decent support to the troops (compared to their western counterparts). So if you're approaching a "hot" landing zone the player may consider the option to proceed with the landing rather then getting the hell(icopter) outa there! But in most cases transport helos must be treated as "fragile" units (more so when they're loaded).
One pair of bugs I just noticed as part of some code work I am doing:

- In the current code, heliflopters landing in a mine hex do not test to trip mines
- In the current code, passengers debussing in a mined hex do not test for mines in the hex either.

So in the current code, the best way to clear mines is to lift some engineers via heliflopter and unload them directly in the mined hex.

It is also a good way to search for mines. Heliflopters can detect mines even if flying at ridiculous speeds compared to ground units and the end-turn dropped-off engineers can freely (no chance of a mine strike) have a look around at the mine detection phase at the start of their next turn (if nobody op-fired at them on debussing of course).

So - airmobile engineers are rather good minesweepers ATM.

This will all change!

The new code tests for heliflopters landing in a mine hex (can be damaged or immobilised as well as being killed just like any APC). Also the pax debussing (voluntarily or not) from any vehicle in a mine hex are tested for mine strikes too. Code for mine detection from helos will also change so they have to be going very slowly and at low altitude in order to detect minefields.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: