.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:00 AM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default China assault vs US, 2001, 65000 pts

That's 65000 points US AI, 20000 China (me).

China buys around:

10 reservist infantry companies
30 Type 58 AAMG
15 WA021 155mms batteries
Lots of ammo trucks
10 Z-5 helos
Two tank companies, just in case

Strategy: Kill everything with cluster bombs.

Deployment: Infantry split between southern and northern flanks. Nothing in the center.

Some screens for the initial deployment:

Turn 1:

Initial bombardment takes out a few tanks across the map. The US has a prep bombardment as well and kills a few of my northern infantry. The AA guns are to turn out to be unnecessary as the US bought no air assets.

Turns 1-31:

Infantry advances. Machineguns snipe away at my flanks, killing several squads; acceptable losses. Enemy positions and mortars pounded with 155mms when spotted.

Northern flank:

Southern:

Turns 31-71:

US forces crumble under the red hordes. An Abrams company counterattacks from the south and is wiped out by artillery in two or three turns. Javelins and Stingers turn out to be the US' most effective combat unit, because they can see through smoke. At least they manage to hold the center objectives against a detachment sent from the southern front.

The helos load some AA guns and try to go around the northern flank to reach objectives out of reach of the infantry. All but one is shot down by Patriots, Stingers, and Javelins. That one lands on an objective only to hit a mine, killing the helo and its passenger.

Northern flank:

Center:

South:

Final score:

You can tell that I have a lot of time on my hands.
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:23 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: China assault vs US, 2001, 65000 pts

Thats about what you would expect with 10,000+ points spent on units firing & rearming cluster ammo.
Read ages ago but training exercises for a US 93rd Cavalry Squadron around the early 90s worked on this principle. Something along the lines of on defence a Regiment (including its integral arty Paladins) would stop a Soviet Battalion if supported by MLRS. (might have been a division cant remember, outnumbered about 10:1 I think)

The one I remember best the cavalry had attacked the previous day & the commander had got cocky sending scouts in by helo all of which were captured so he attacked blind suffering heavy losses.

Started the next day defending missing 1/3 of his Tanks & Bradleys but got it perfect this time, guessed attack routes perfectly & his FOOs dealt with them.
Only 23 vehicles were ever seen by the defending tanks & Bradleys & in fact it should have been less. Arty fire was stopped in that area of the attack for 1 minute due to an errant round & safety reasons as they were using live ammo.
CM arty is incredibly powerfull probably way more so than the game models despite people moaning otherwise.
Seem to remember the guy in charge of the MLRS called them the grid annilhater because firing the Battalion flattened everything in a 1KM grid reference on the map
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:06 AM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: China assault vs US, 2001, 65000 pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Thats about what you would expect with 10,000+ points spent on units firing & rearming cluster ammo.
Exactly. Kind of destroys any single player game above 10000 points. But I was bored and felt like using a gamey "strategy". It actually seems easier to win against the AI when heavily outnumbered because you get so many points off arty kills.

Quote:
Read ages ago but training exercises for a US 93rd Cavalry Squadron around the early 90s worked on this principle. Something along the lines of on defence a Regiment (including its integral arty Paladins) would stop a Soviet Battalion if supported by MLRS. (might have been a division cant remember, outnumbered about 10:1 I think)

The one I remember best the cavalry had attacked the previous day & the commander had got cocky sending scouts in by helo all of which were captured so he attacked blind suffering heavy losses.

Started the next day defending missing 1/3 of his Tanks & Bradleys but got it perfect this time, guessed attack routes perfectly & his FOOs dealt with them.
Only 23 vehicles were ever seen by the defending tanks & Bradleys & in fact it should have been less. Arty fire was stopped in that area of the attack for 1 minute due to an errant round & safety reasons as they were using live ammo.
Wow. I was aware that they did live fire exercises against drone targets at the NTC but that sounds like it took incredible setup work. Glad nobody got hurt.

Quote:
CM arty is incredibly powerfull probably way more so than the game models despite people moaning otherwise.
Seem to remember the guy in charge of the MLRS called them the grid annilhater because firing the Battalion flattened everything in a 1KM grid reference on the map
Congrats to him. In real life though those rearm trucks would eventually break axles shuffling ammo against 100:1 odds at Fulda. There's only so many tanks you can kill in a 1km grid before their comrades consider it might be a good idea to change course a little.