.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 8th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advanced Teleporting Strategy For Dummies.

From the phase structure written by Jurri, I understand that you can never "catch" a teleporting mage with other teleporting mages (going to the start location of their target), as anyway all spells will be cast *before* any battle is resolved .. Right ?
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road

"4) . . . If there are multiple forces coming in, the order is the same as in the regular battle-phase."

Does this mean that if you teleport forces into a province that is joined by forces moving regularly (or into a province already containing friendly forces) that the teleporting and regular forces will attack together in the regular battle phase?
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

No, as far as I know, you can't catch a teleporting mage unless you know his destination. This makes Boots of the Planes very desirable, in my opinion. You can catch him with assassination spells like Earth attack or manifestation, however, and also with ritual spells and the like, I believe.

And no, what I meant is that if players A, B and C attack a province owned by player D, the order of the attacks is the same both in the teleport phase and in the regular attack phase.
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road

Er, Jurri, I think I've spotted an error. Physical assassination (your #6) happens before movement and non-magical combat (your #3b). I can confirm this from play.

CC
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Captain

Unsneaking, as in, units that were sneaking/hiding the previous turn and now attack. Regular troop attacks occur at phase 7. Edited again... Someone native oughta proof that, I can't seem to express myself!
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Jurri, I think I have to disagree with some points in your list...

1) The order of rituals and forging seems to be a quasi-random only: All the casters/forgers are lined up in a queue (the same order that's visible on a strat screen, obviously mages of different nations mix) and the random part is whether the queue is resolved from first-to-last or last-to-first. This one's easy to test and I think I've already won one debate on these forums about it, so feel free to disagree.

3)-4) My impression is that the teleporting forces and sneakers ordered to 'attack current province' attack first, and the indie summons (Horrors, GRs, Phantasmal attacks) are the last attacker in the magic phase. So no cleaning up the province with GRs and teleporting a mage in on the same turn - it just doesn't work that way. I may err here, but that's the impression I've got.

Sneakers attacking provinces other than the one they were hiding in attack with the normally moving troops.
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Captain

How does one win a debate...

1) I'm sure you're correct on the ordering being quasi-random; however, whether a given enemy mage casts his spell before a given mage of yours is random, as far as I know. (As it's dependent only on which ordering is used.) Which is really the necessary amount of detail for a summary of this nature, don't you think?

3-4) Come to think of it, you're totally right, the magically teleported units attack with the sneakers. I wonder what I was thinking... It's possible, however, I think, for a sneaking force to arrive at the province after the indie summons have done their work. Although now I'm in doubt: it's entirely possible that the instances I've observed were of the scout moving from a friendly province to a hostile province, not like I've paid that much attention to it before. If that were the case the structure would be certainly much more coherent. This could be tested by some industrious youth out there.

If your scout is hiding in an enemy province and then attacks another enemy province, it will attack as if it was hiding in the target province, I believe. If the scout is in a friendly province, it will attack as normal. At least works this way in relation to the magical summons; I wouldn't know for sure whether they will fight with the teleporters or the regularly moving units, though, as I never observed a situation like that.

This is too complex for a dummy like me, anyway!
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jurri said:
1) I'm sure you're correct on the ordering being quasi-random; however, whether a given enemy mage casts his spell before a given mage of yours is random, as far as I know. (As it's dependent only on which ordering is used.) Which is really the necessary amount of detail for a summary of this nature, don't you think?

Well yes, with one caveat: While the order between two mages is totally random, it isn't so with three or more mages. A practical example: Say I'm storming a castle and assume the defender is going to gateway/teleport/etc some troops in. So, which of my mages should I be using to cast far-away damage spells (Murdering Winter, Fires from Afar, etc) into the province for maximal effect? I'm not a gambler so I'd try to use mages from the far ends of the queue, but your mileage may vary.

There are a few other similar examples for the use of the info, like hitting the teleporter and so on. I agree it's minor details, but since it does say "Advanced" in the topic I'd say it's a fair game.

Quote:
Jurri said:
If that were the case the structure would be certainly much more coherent.

I feel the game is quite coherent, just assuming one gets in it... ...which may take a long time....
Old September 24th, 2005, 04:00 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

So do teleport/cloud-trapeze/stygian-paths combine with units remotely summoned (friendly, not neutral) like Call of the Winds and Horde from Hell?

PvK
Old September 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Sergeant

Molog is on a distinguished road

Yes.