.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Very) Basic Battle Tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqwus View Post
GC = Guard Commander.
Doh! Yep, missing the obvious. Thanks for the clue.
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqwus View Post
I'll also note that ultra-cheap low-prot units like militia or R'lyeh's freespawn cultists can be useful as lance absorbers; the heavy cavalry's initial charge can be quite threatening to even well-protected (and generally more expensive) troops.

Other things to pay attention to --

- If you have in mind particular spells, check their ranges...
- Damaging auras. Friendly fire isn't.
- Flyers essentially teleport, unless there's a storm going on, and some can even fly during storms.
Chaff is not just for lances, of course. It will suck up a few volleys of all kinds of damage, from lances to crossbow fire to shadow blasts. And because it's so weak and vulnerable, mages like to target it. When you get larger and larger army groups, it's sometimes much easier to stick a line of chaff in the front than try to use shielded archer decoys with tricky battle orders.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

It's easier but much more costly. Tactics mentioned above are not for those who just want to win at any cost, they're mostly for those who want to win with minimal causalities.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

It's not much more costly if you are using freespawn or very cheap units, if doing so eats (for example) a shadow blast that would otherwise have caused significant casualties to a group of expensive units.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

No doubt that it is worth the cost in case of deflecting shadow blasts or other area spells. But, in my opinion, counting chaff as "easily expendable" is a mistake. No troop is expendable unless it eats a lot of upkeep.
For example, maenads are decent troops that cost no upkeep and thus are (and that is not obvious!) more valuable than, say, satyrs or regular infantry. If you plan to have losses, upkeep cost is a serious factor to take into account when thinking what to use as a arrow\spell decoy.
Also, later in the game with many buffs in serious battles initial quality of troops means much less than in the beginning, and if you managed to keep enough "worthless free chaff" alive, it will help you much.
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Corporal

Raiel is on a distinguished road

@ano: You're most welcome! Giving new ideas to any regulars was not something I had counted on... hoped for, but not counted on. As for HaA-C rather than GC orders on Archer decoys: You're absolutely correct, but it's my habit to use a commander with a shield and by the time arrows would be raining down around him, the archers are usually on my side of the field and sorrounded by my forces. I assumed that everyone would use shielded commanders...

@Panpiper: That's my . Thought I got all the abbreviations. Thanks for pointing that out and I'll fix the omission.

@OmikronWarrior: Exceptionally salient points; I'd just copy and paste your post into the original post if I didn't hate needless duplication of data. I'll definitely refer readers to your post, though.

@Taqwus: The point of lance absorbing is well taken (a great use for Markata). I'll throw in a final thought about taking on heavy calvary that includes this. Thanks!

Which brings me to why I'm posting this before I make any changes... How many times can I edit the Original Post?
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
How many times can I edit the Original Post?
You're not limited in it.
Quote:
I assumed that everyone would use shielded commanders...
The problem here is that early on you don't want to recruit commanders in your capital because you need mages, priests and whoever else. Later, when you can recruit indy shielded commanders, you should of course use them. Frankly speaking I always knew about GC trick but rarely used it because two decoys with HaA-C orders worked quite fine. Probably, I'll start using it more because it may be efficient indeed.

p.s. I rarely say a guide is excellent. This one is, imho. And it can be developed
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiel View Post
Which brings me to why I'm posting this before I make any changes... How many times can I edit the Original Post?
No limit.

For posts that aren't the first in a thread, there are no editing limits. Without it, guides, mod threads and similar would be pretty much impossible.

Non-first posts close after a certain time, about 20 minutes I think.