.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:35 AM

Default Build queue

One thing I really liked about MOO2 was the ability to queue up projects and have multiple queue entries complete on the same turn. I would really like to see this changed since I could then build two mineral miners per turn instead of the high yard rate being wasted.

Anybody else want to lobby for this change ?
Old May 25th, 2001, 11:57 AM

First Lieutenant

PsychoTechFreak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Build queue

quote:
Originally posted by LCC:
One thing I really liked about MOO2 was the ability to queue up projects and have multiple queue entries complete on the same turn...

Really? My memory might be lacking about that, but I think in MOO2 you can complete one thing per turn also.

But anyway, I vote a big YES. The production rate of a planet should be distributed to more than one project. But I guess the next problem with this idea is: How to handle the queue with it. You need to specify the projects in the queue which shall be completed in parallel, and the others which would be served later on.

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:55 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

Maybe there could be a way to do like research and intel projects, distribute resources evenly on all projects in the queue. This would mean smaller queues though.
Could excess points be carried over/applied to the next project in line?
Old May 25th, 2001, 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PsychoTechFreak:
Really? My memory might be lacking about that, but I think in MOO2 you can complete one thing per turn also.

You are right, I was too tired to think straight early this morning, and it has been about three years since I played MOO2. Now I recall the trick I used. I would build a Doomstar almost to completion, then shift all pop to science. Whenever I learned a new facility tech or added a new design, I would queue it up after the DS. Then I would put a new DS after that and delete the old DS. The points carried over to an almost built new DS after the facility was built. So there was never any lag time. I want that ability here with some huge project like a stellar manipulation ship to store the excess yard rate, and some way to keep it from completing.

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:55 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Your Doomstar ploy sounds like an exploit to me. I don't think one should be able to freely transfer resources from a partially completed project to a new one.

A better alternative would be to be able to put individual queue items on hold, keeping the resources already spent with that project, but allowing other items to be added to the queue before the one on hold.

[edited typo]

------------------
Cap'n Q

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all of its contents. We live on a placid
island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was
not meant that we should go far. -- HP Lovecraft

[This message has been edited by capnq (edited 29 May 2001).]

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 29th, 2001, 03:40 PM

Major

DirectorTsaarx is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by capnq:
Your Doomstar ploy sounds like an exploit to me. I don't think one should be able to freely transfer resources from a partially completed project to to a new one.

A better alternative would be to be able to put individual queue items on hold, keeping the resources already spent with that project, but allowing other items to be added to the queue before the one on hold.

Yeah! Good thinking, that. Could be implemented by allowing you to "mothball" a partially completed ship/facility (thus incurring cost to mothball/unmothball - it shouldn't be completely free to stop work & restart later). Pausing build on mines/fighters/sats would be more complicated; the game would have to track how many units had been completed, based on materials spent, and then let that many units appear. The rest of the units would be finished when the queue got back around to them... Weapon platforms may have to be tracked the same way, depending on whether you can complete more than one in a single turn.
Old May 29th, 2001, 03:52 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

I thought of another way to implement this: rework the individual build queues to the same format as the Research and Intelligence projects windows. Then you could put the entire queue on hold, insert new projects ahead of partially completed ones, and divide resources among multiple projects. Only downside to this approach would be the current 12 project limit that Research and Intelligence has.

------------------
Cap'n Q

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all of its contents. We live on a placid
island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was
not meant that we should go far. -- HP Lovecraft

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 29th, 2001, 04:38 PM

Corporal

Hydraa is on a distinguished road

This feature was actually recently taking out of SEIV.
In earlier Version you could replace the top item in the queue or edit a new design that had not completed building yet to allow you to start building a higher tech ship that you did not have the tech for just yet.

Now you cannot change a design that is in any queue and if you replace the first item you lose all production towards it.
Old May 29th, 2001, 04:47 PM

First Lieutenant

Nitram Draw is on a distinguished road

I like the spreading out of the construction like research and intel.
Old May 29th, 2001, 05:04 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Well what about the system usd in SEIII? That was great.

You were able to move partially completed projects up and down the construction queues, and even from one queue to another if you had >1 shipyard in the sector.

OK, ship construction is different now (ie partially built ships are "invisible") but with some work I don't see why the old system couldn't be updated, modified and applied.

------------------
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Uh, I think so, Brain, but balancing a family and a career ... oooh, it's all too much for me. "