.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old November 20th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Private

ZylonBane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ramming question

Something that's been driving me insane is that, if I'm trying to ram a ship, but there are any other ships nearby, my ship's AI will start flopping around randomly in an attempt to get away from the other ship instead of staying on target.

The close-combat ship AI is hopelessly broken, IMHO. I'm not shelling out for the full version until they add a "Do exactly what I say, not what your crazy little AI brain thinks I meant to say" configuration option.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM

Corporal

Ripcord O'Reilly is on a distinguished road

Imagine a circle around the ship that is the ship's diameter. In fact, that is a ship's bounding area and if they bump, your ship's "navigator" (AI) will attempt to turn away from a collision (as will other ships of course).

The exception is when you select to ram, but the rule still applies if any other ships are really close.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

I think we've all gotten that part.

Its still quite annoying, especially since the AI doesn't seem to have anywhere near as many problems.

An AI ship and mine are charging head-on, firing. Neither is set to ram. My ship turns away *first* the AI just comes to a stop and hammers me into the ground..

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Private

Davin is on a distinguished road

Hi, new user here.

Phoenix-D, I noticed the same behavior in the demo. What I eventually decided on is that the best way to rectify this problem is to play chicken with your opponent. Set your ship to RAM, once the enemy is within firing range your weapons will of course light him up. If you're still approaching at full speed at a certain distance, the other ship WILL turn. You just have to be ready to switch back into ATTACK mode or else you'll just careen right into him.