winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,233 Times in 922 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: North Korea OOB

North Korea recieved 35-40 MiG-29A aircraft from Russia in the mid to late eighties. It is believed that only ~20 are even capable of flight at this time. I will not speculate as to why the N. Korean OOB doesn't have them however I do know (or think) they shouldn't be entered. The MiG-29A is strictly a short ranged tactical fighter that had no conventional bomb carrying capability. We in fact just last year after I made contact with a DDR MiG-29A pilot, deleted them from the E. German, German and Polish OOB's for that very reason. People know how I feel about "fighters" with bombs being in the game, they are useless in the game context as compared to a true fighter-bomber. The issue however as I found out is a very complex one involving all "game types" or "options" we have in playing the game in trying to cull them for slot space in the more developed countries. Anyway the Jets and Planes Thread covers this all.
The first MiG-29 to be ground attack capable was the MiG-29S. Russia did modify MiG-29A fighters to carry a battlefield tactical nuke the 30KT RN-40. Below is an excellent MiG site for further reference. There are is no apparent info on any improvement/modification programs by N. Korea concerning the MiG-29.
http://toad-design.com/migalley/inde...ig29-variants/

Regards,
Pat
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: North Korea OOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboat tough View Post
the mig-29a is strictly a short ranged tactical fighter that had no conventional bomb carrying capability. We in fact just last year after i made contact with a ddr mig-29a pilot, deleted them from the e. German, german and polish oob's for that very reason. Regards,
pat

exactly why
Old January 1st, 2014, 04:37 AM

Private

sabresandy is on a distinguished road

Okay, makes sense.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:44 AM

Lieutenant General

Who doesn't love a parade? Well North Korea certainly does love them, to the point of mixing in mock equipment with the real. During the 60th Anniversary Parade in the fly over of North Korean military transport planes it was later found they were from the national airline painted in military colors. Another interesting item were the intercontinental missiles paraded, among some other minor issues concerning them was the lack of retro rockets which is not so a minor issue. You really need them-trust me. Then the real Hughes 500E helos (pair) did a fly over of some tanks they were "supporting" in battle. So ended at least 30 years of speculation concerning them. Well I wasn't content with what the current info provided, I went to the past for the answers we need. So to Jan. 22nd 1987 we find that 87 Hughes helicopters were sold between the spring of 1983 -Jan. 1985 the type were the Hughes 300C (1 ONLY), 500D and 500E (As seen this past Sep.) These helos are the civilian version of the Vietnam era OH-6 better known as the "LOACH".
Bottomline: Yes as with the modern MD series helos, the Hughes 500D and 500E could be and were (Rhodesia for one.) weaponized. Only one I can find that was is the 500E however and just my feelings here, I suspect the 500D was armed as well by North Korea. It should be added it seems the current sources agree on 4 AT-3 SAGGER ATGW missiles.
Sometimes you have to look "over your shoulder" and back to find the answer, not to mention preventing being "stabbed in the back"!?!
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-..._1_north-korea
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/01/22/us...rth-korea.html
http://www.boeing.com/boeing/history/mdc/cayuse.page

Regards,
Pat
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:12 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

The MiG-29 was in the older versions of the OOB but with wrong stats. I recommeded deletion, instead of corrections on the basis of the following:
1) The type is primarily an air defence fighter (I was under the impression it could carry bombs but in practice designed and most likely used for air to air).
2) It is the only "modern" fighter in their inventory, so it is doubtful it would waste precious flight hours over ground attack training. As a matter of fact in the NK training footage older types,of which they have zillions, such as MiG-23 or earlier can be seen dropping bombs while MiG-29s just fly around (not an ironclad proof but..). In wartime it would be busy with air to air.
3) The units equipped with it are based to protect the capital and brigaded together with the SU-25s so even in a coup/civil war scenario they would still be doing air to air most likely even if they were bomb capable.
4) CAS isn't high on KPAF list as far as it can be told. Some of their older types have been modified for or have been tasked with ground attack but this is likely to be against targets in the enemy rear.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:36 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Anyway IMHO given the scope of the game there is not much point in trying to add as many aircrafts as possible. The combination of planes and loadouts used by a major power in over 70 years would clog any OOB. The main types used for ground attack with a moderate variety of war loads should suffice.
Otherwise we will be adding stuff like the Su-15 Flagon with gunpods or other theoretically possible but unlikey combinations.
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Yeah half the "fun" of doing an OOB is aircraft.

What aircraft types are owned?
How many? Enough to matter?
How ARE they used vs how CAN they be?
What ordnance load DO they carry vs what CAN they carry?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:22 PM

Lieutenant General

With all due respect; Post #11 answers all your questions. I guess the real issue here is how embedded are they in the existing scenarios and campaigns in the game. This was the roadblock in my proposal to cull the fighters from the more advanced countries to open slots in them as these countries are as we know fighter-bomber and ground attack aircraft heavy. As Don indicated in response to that idea it would be a very intensive effort. That discussion is in the Jets/Planes Thread about 2 yrs. ago.

Regards,
Pat
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If anyone bothers to look THERE ARE NO MIG-29'S in the NK OOB so I'm not sure why this has become an issue
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:27 AM

Lieutenant General

I should've indicated Post #11 was in response to #10 from sabresandy that asked about the MiG-29 and MD-500 helos-sorry-but I had to get ready for work. Post #14 covers the rest. But now I really see the point Suhiir was making and my apologies I just had to kick in the "Marinegolese". No matter what the equipment I love going through those steps and I'll always have the fond memories of the GREAT French 105mm question we finally settled on last year and two years of following the Malaysian LEOPARD's to find early last winter by watching an Armed Forces Day video of them showing off their new LEO A24 modified tanks and not their A26 ones THAT EVERYONE reported on and now resides in the game. Who got it right from the start? SIPRI. Don sorry I just ran out of time getting the refs together before the deadline. Guess who I'll be using more often. Suhiir is so right, anyone who seriously does this out here knows how much "fun" it really is. That'll be over two years of tracking those tanks I'll never get back.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; April 5th, 2014 at 12:54 AM..