.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:02 PM

Corporal

Cameronius is on a distinguished road
Default Soviet Long Campaign 1980

I have started a long Campaign as the Soviets vs. USA, W. Germany and UK. It starts in Sep. 1980. Here is a run down of my core.
HQ and 1 BMP-2
FO and PRP
Mech Recce plt in BRM-1s
Tank Coy of T-80s 4 tanks/plt
Plt of T-72 KMT-6s and Sapper plt in BMP-2s
Mech Rifle Coy in BMP-2s and attached hvy wpns
Plt of Mech AA 4 Shikas 2 Gophers
Bty of Mech 152mm Arty
Bty of Mot Rocket Arty Urugans
4 Hind-A gunships and Spetsnaz plt
2 long range SAMs
16 ammo carriers

My first battle was a meeter vs USA random Fulda Gap map 70x120. There was a ridgeline level 40 high running north-south through the middle between my force and all three objective clusters. Visablity 35. Normally on a piece of ground like this I would race two or three platoons of tanks to the crest of the hill, line them up along the ridge and pick off the enemy as he approached the objectives. However the poor experience and morale ratings of my troops would have to dictate my tactics. I decided on a reverse slope defense,point blank range.
During setup I split my tanks and infantry into 2 groups and stacked them up on the two east/west roads leading to the ridgeline in order to get them into their positions as quickly as possible. My mech AA units I spread out in the area between my two combat teams to provide protection for both. I set my Btys of Arty up on the same two roads further east and on either side of the roads and spread out.
I also placed my long range SAMs near the eastern edge of the map on a piece of high ground for over watch. The placement of my AA units I have considered carefully. With all of my units positioned on the east side of the ridge any air attack that occurs will have to take place in LOS of my AA. They will be spread out 500-750m behind the main line of defense and 500-750m forward of the arty. I have also placed these units in my OOB after the tanks and infantry so they have less opportunity to fire at non-aircraft targets. However, I have AA units in my OOB before arty units so that they get higher priority on ammo reloading if located close to arty units.
During setup I also prepare a turn 0 artillery barrage all along where I guess the AI's start line to be with the rocket artillery. I find the Soviet rocket arty is excellent for this because it is located on map and can be reloaded and used again later. I use tracked 152mm arty to crater up the one approach road to the west of the ridge, then set up pre-set targets all along the west slope of the ridge. I suspect that the AI force is going to have ample air support.
I want to use my arty to draw the majority of air attacks into an AA ambush so that by the time my main force is in contact, the opposing air assets are exausted. So I will fire my on-map arty continuously for the first three turns to reveal them, then stop firing and scatter them in preparation for air attacks.
To be Continued