This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old April 20th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WALMART Employment Application

I borrowed it from the Red Neck Drivers License one and added a few things to it. Send it along to anyone you want. Besure to let them know that WalMart is not the end of their lives, its the beginning of new slave wage lives.
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Corporal

Leslie is on a distinguished road

I shop at Walmart, but to be honest I don't have much choice on my income. I would rather I didn't have to.

But I know what Walmart is all about.

They are not about their workers, and they are not about unions.
They are certainly about buying their goods from foreign sources regardless of how they were made.

And they are about the owners making money while telling north americans screw you and your jobs.
And sadly, we still buy from them.
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Its a very capitalistic nation so we cant help it. Yes I hate what Walmart does to my town but we hit it about once a week.

I cry at the loss of the local gaming stores, but I still find it cheaper on the net. I wish the family restaurants were doing better but I still shoot thru the fast-food drive-in. I would love it if our town had more concerts and events but I watch them on TV. And I BARELY force myself to do business with the local Mom&Pop computer store instead of buying a Dell or Gateway.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Leslie said:
But I know what Walmart is all about.

They are not about their workers, and they are not about unions.
They are certainly about buying their goods from foreign sources regardless of how they were made.

And they are about the owners making money while telling north americans screw you and your jobs.
And sadly, we still buy from them.
Geez, it's whiny posts like these that make me want to scream "Get some economics education people". Honestly, what do you, as a customer, want a company to do for you? Think about it.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

EXACTLY RIGHT.
But then after that, get a community.

Usually college age people have no problem with it. All they want is the most they can get with their money. Its perfectly logical. Its later when they have familys, own a home, been there awhile and have desires which extend to the type of community they wish they were able to live in. Thats when they earlier "logical" choices start biting them in the ***.

And thats where the battle comes in. The numbers, and therefore the dollars, are on the side of the new adults and new families. The voting, especially at levels less than national (state, county, city), are with the home owners.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Corporal

Given a choice, given the power to snap my fingers and make it so, given the ability to make the ideal the reality, I would make it so.

Canada would make goods made by Canadians for Canadians, and we would not do ANY business with ANYone outside of Canada.

Want our wood, come here and buy it in Canada.
Want our beef, come here and buy it.
Want our water, come here and buy that if you wish.

Want a car made in a car plant in Canada, come here and buy it.

Etc etc etc.

But business seeks out business. It's the nature of business.

Canada (and the US and several other nations too) doesn't need the trade from other nations external to it.
Look around you, consult a good atlas describing natural resources locations.

Canada, the US, and Russia are easily the most resource rich locations on our planet. Partly of course because our nations also know what's involved in the searching out of same.

We really don't need the trade, but yet we can't resist it.
A bad habit none of us seem to wish to break.

We produce resources so that we can sell the resources so that we can get the money to buy the very things we could have just made ourselves in the first place.

It's really quite crazy when you really look at it.

We are in a trap of our own creation.

And we further magnify it though clever hurdles.
We have so many unions.
The unions demand more money.
The businesses have no recourse but to charge higher prices.
Or in some cases, move to getting the product made elsewhere by non unionised cheap labour.

The end result. A unionised worker, that is slowly making himself a liability. The more we unionise, the more we encourage business to not even use the worker.
Yet the worker has not stopped needing a means of gainful employ.
The business has not stopped making the product.
But we are increasingly unable to afford it, if made locally by expensive unionised workers.
So our only recourse, is to take our money to the business that has scorned the unionised way, and had the product made off shore by non unionised means.
Thus the product drops in price, and it gets the sale faster than the more expensive local union produced item.

Unions are not some sort of "enemy".
But unions are indeed part of the "problem".
Part of the solution is to not permit ANY goods to replace locally produced goods.
Some will call that "protectionism".
Rightly so, it IS!

Until we alter the circumstances, the circumstances will remain.

What do you hate more, the business that will sell goods made by slave labour.
The consumer that will buy goods made by slave labour.
The unionised worker that insists on constantly being paid more and more, just because they have been there an increasing sum of time.
Or all of the above?

Right now, wargames appear to be a product I am actually able to say is made often closer to realistically.
I can point to Canadian companies.
I can point to US companies.
I can point to European companies.
All apear to be made in a way, that rewards buying locally.
They appear to be more expensive when bought from foreign sources.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Major

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
And thats where the battle comes in. The numbers, and therefore the dollars, are on the side of the new adults and new families. The voting, especially at levels less than national (state, county, city), are with the home owners.
That's a good observation Gandalf, but there's nothing there that says "Walmart is Evil!" What it simply means is that Walmart and its like fit the needs of a specific demographic and does that very well, but certainly, the very presence of a Walmart in the neighborhood would be offensive to other demographic segments (notably the richer, snootier ones). Nothing wrong in that.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Major

Quote:
Leslie said:
Given a choice, given the power to snap my fingers and make it so, given the ability to make the ideal the reality, I would make it so.

I don't even want to wade into this mess. But hey, you have a right to your opinions, so long as you understand the consequences of what the real life application of your policies will entail: namely, a much, much lower standard of living than that which would be posssible otherwise. And of course, so long as you understand that in any democracy, your opinions and values would be weighed against the opinions and values of your fellow citizens.
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Corporal

Deccan, its a myth we even need money. Humanity merely can't just do the right thing for the good of it's people ala Star Trek world.

Thus we pursue gainful employ.

If Canada sealed it's borders, no one in or out, guess what, yes among other things like immigration plunging to zero the businesses in Canada would of course be selling exclusively to Canadians.

Zero outside competition would mean a business had zero competition.
It's not like this will ever happen, just an observation.

Simple human greed is the reason for wanting more than is required.

Here I sit, and my current income is actually well below poverty line, according to what I am told.
I am more well off than a friend of mine earning 18 bucks an hour that lives at home.

I have a wife, son, a place to live, clothes on my back, nice food in the fridge and a few select luxuries.

But I have to make choices like the rest.
There is no beer in the fridge.
I can't smoke (not that I would, brain dead habit at best).
No car, but considering I have no where to go.
No dancing on the weekend (but no where to go either I suppose).
No lottery tickets.
No Bingo night.

It's annoying that so many think they absolutely must have some things in order to be "well off".
My clothes are not at all brand name.
I rent my place, even though I sure wish I could just buy a home.

Our whole society is built on a lot of idiotic misconceptions.

I enjoy a nice enough standard of living. There are a few gaps admittedly.
But it's amazing how well I do with how little I have.

I have nothing supportive to say to persons that support unionised wages that exceed 10 dollars Canadian an hour.
Doesn't matter what your job is, a human is only in need of so much before it qualifies as excess.

The work force is progressively killing itself off for wanting more than is really required.
Walmart is the response to asking for to much.
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:25 AM

Major

Quote:
Leslie said:
Deccan, its a myth we even need money. Humanity merely can't just do the right thing for the good of it's people ala Star Trek world.
I'm fine with that. I disagree of course, because I do want the good things in life, in fact, I think that these are the only things that make life worth living. But I understand and accept that everyone has their own sense of values of what is "good".