This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old August 19th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Private

Vore is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

I wish to be able to have Huge Fleet battles or at least fleet battles like on MOO3 but more ship-to-ship combat I.e. Star Trek DS9 sacrifice of the angles type battles or something like that if its possible.
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vore said:
I wish to be able to have Huge Fleet battles or at least fleet battles like on MOO3 but more ship-to-ship combat I.e. Star Trek DS9 sacrifice of the angles type battles or something like that if its possible.
Welcome to the forum,

Right now in SEIV you can have huge fleets of thousands of ships.

As for SE V, don't hold your breath. With a 3d environment the more models you have the lower your frame rates. Look to BOTF for a good example of that.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Corporal

wake_of_angels is on a distinguished road

I think that it will be interesting to allow mounts to add abilities.

I saw mods with mounts for shields (like cristaline mount) armors...

I imagine some other ones SEIV can't support like:
- cristaline layer for armor that add shield generation from damage
- aiming computer that make weapons point-defense
- pack rats that add cargo capability on crew quarters

Another thing could be hull mount (inspired from big thinker).
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

AngleWyrm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The ability to specify if a hull can have weapons or not. This way when you design a resource ship, people won't load them full of weapons early in the game to have uber ships.

The only way to prevent this now is too have scaling weapons mounts.
GalCiv has that special hull size to make an exception for the huge part that wont fit on anything; it comes from assigning too much value to "bigger is better".

Another way to accomplish the original intent might be to modify the Resource Gathering parts so that they are much smaller, and produce much less resources individually.

The result would then be similar to cargo ships; that for a player to build a dedicated resource gathering ship, they would load a hull full of many resource parts, whereas just a couple would be something to do just to fill out extra space in a hull.

For example, maybe set it up so that if you loaded the ship with about 10% resource gathering parts, then it would cover the cost of operating that ship. Less would just cut down on the cost, and more would turn a profit, helping with other fleet maintenance, etc.

Which brings up another point: We've got Cargo, Resources, and Supplies. I wish the resources were physically located, so that construction required the conversion of locally available resources into a vessel. Then resources could be transported as cargo, and control of the route from mining to construction would become important.

There could also be a more direct conversion of resources into supplies. Currently ships use supplies but ships also use resources as an upkeep fee. Mostly it seems like a historic reason from a time when the game had less detail. It would be good to have resources converted to supplies, and then supplies shipped as cargo.

This could also pave the way for mods that involve specializations in cargo, maybe some rare fruit from Betelguese or green slave women from Orion...could be fun!
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road

-----I assume that the Mega-Evil Empire function will be present in Space Empires V. Is it still quite drastic where everyone declares war on you? Even a neighboring weak empire that will be destroyed?

It would be better if the closer empires and those in good relations to you would slowly detoriorate relations with you over many turns.

-----('Renagade 13' said in the demo bug thread):"You should have seen a bug in the early beta...if you selected a planet and a fleet, then tried to move the fleet, the planet would move as well!! It was really quite amusing."

(I said): "Hey! That would be a great peice of late technology! The ability to move planets and travel like a ship. Once the planet has attained self sustaining heat from the civilization. This was in the Ringworld series by Larry Niven. The Puppeteer race have their "Fleet of Worlds" of 5 planets. Home world and 4 farm planets.

Ringworlds and Sphereworlds could be made to travel also!
The Ringworld in the story was also adjusted to travel in the fourth novel, 'Ringworld's Children'.

-----The natural phenomonon of a planet being hidden inside a storm cloud/nebula in Space Empires V. Like the New Caprica planet on the 2006 series of Battlestar Galactica.

Or is this already a random possibility during map generation?

How often do we pass by those small one sector storm clouds/nebulas with out peeking inside?

-----There could also be a chance of a space creature or prize in the clouds(not necesarilly hostile though). Clouds could be similiar to the ruins in Civilization. Will there be a planet, some thing hostile or friendly, or nothing at all?

Old October 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wade said:
-----The natural phenomonon of a planet being hidden inside a storm cloud/nebula in Space Empires V. Like the New Caprica planet on the 2006 series of Battlestar Galactica.

Thanks for the spoiler Wade... some of us are a series or two behind the US you know.
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Sergeant

Well, I did not know of that.

I am not sorry though. I am an American that mentioned an American show in regards to an American game on an American site(I think...?) utilizing the internet, an American made technology.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time."

I just finished watching the two hour season opener of Battlestar Galactica. I can easily post some interesting events of the show here. All you would have to do is take a glance...I won't though. I'm not inconsiderate like that. Even though some will think I am for my "American" comments.

I also watched the new episode of the British show, 'Doctor Who'. Nicely done episode. Though I missed how the doctor is a different actor now. Will this happen much?
I vaguely remember the old series.
So is the British showing of 'Doctor Who' ahead of America? Or has an American company bought it out?

May peace be with you.

-Wade
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

Not that it matters, but was the internet not invented first by members of the CERN in Geneva?
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:27 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Q said:
Not that it matters, but was the internet not invented first by members of the CERN in Geneva?
The World Wide Web mostly hails from the CERN, yeah. If you want to browse websites using only American technology, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for Gopher (from the University of Minnesota).
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Sergeant

History of th internet:

http://www.isoc.org/internet/history...l#Introduction

"The first recorded description of the social interactions that could be enabled through networking was a series of memos written by J.C.R. Licklider of MIT in August 1962 discussing his "Galactic Network" concept."

"Licklider was the first head of the computer research program at DARPA, 4 starting in October 1962. While at DARPA he convinced his successors at DARPA, Ivan Sutherland, Bob Taylor, and MIT researcher Lawrence G. Roberts, of the importance of this networking concept."

"To explore this, in 1965 working with Thomas Merrill, Roberts connected the TX-2 computer in Mass. to the Q-32 in California with a low speed dial-up telephone line creating the first (however small) wide-area computer network ever built."

"The original ARPANET grew into the Internet."

http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/cerf.shtml

"In 1973, the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) initiated a research program to investigate techniques and technologies for interlinking packet networks of various kinds. The objective was to develop communication protocols which would allow networked computers to communicate transparently across multiple, linked packet networks. This was called the Internetting project and the system of networks which emerged from the research was known as the "Internet." The system of protocols which was developed over the course of this research effort became known as the TCP/IP Protocol Suite, after the two initial protocols developed: Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and Internet Protocol (IP). "

http://www.wdvl.com/Internet/History/

"The Internet had its roots during the 1960's as a project of the United States government's Department of Defense, to create a non-centralized network designed to survive partial outages (ie. nuclear war) and still function when parts of the network were down or destroyed. This project was called ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network), created by the Pentagon's Advanced Research Projects Agency established in 1969 to provide a secure and survivable communications network for organizations engaged in defense-related research."

"In order to make the network more global a new sophisticated and standard protocol was needed. They developed IP (Internet Protocol) technology which defined how electronic messages were packaged, addressed, and sent over the network. The standard protocol was invented in 1977 and was called TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol). TCP/IP allowed users to link various branches of other complex networks directly to the ARPANet, which soon came to be called the Internet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN#Co...ience_and_CERN

"It is also known for being the birthplace of the World Wide Web."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN#Co...ience_and_CERN

"The World Wide Web began as a CERN project called ENQUIRE, initiated by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

"The World Wide Web is accessible via the Internet,..."

-----The following one I found seems to sum it all up.-----

http://www.bartleby.com/65/in/Internet.html

"The Internet evolved from a secret feasibility study conceived by the U.S. Dept. of Defense in 1969 to test methods of enabling computer networks to survive military attacks, by means of the dynamic rerouting of messages. As the ARPAnet (Advanced Research Projects Agency network), it began by connecting three networks in California with one in Utah—these communicated with one another by a set of rules called the Internet Protocol (IP). By 1972, when the ARPAnet was revealed to the public, it had grown to include about 50 universities and research organizations with defense contracts, and a year later the first international connections were established with networks in England and Norway. A decade later, the Internet Protocol was enhanced with a set of communication protocols, the Transmission Control Program/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), that supported both local and wide-area networks. Shortly thereafter, the National Science Foundation (NSF) created the NSFnet to link five supercomputer centers, and this, coupled with TCP/IP, soon supplanted the ARPAnet as the backbone of the Internet. In 1995, however, the NSF decommissioned the NSFnet, and responsibility for the Internet was assumed by the private sector. Fueled by the increasing popularity of personal computers, e-mail, and the World Wide Web (which was introduced in 1991 and saw explosive growth beginning in 1993), the Internet became a significant factor in the stock market and commerce during the second half of the decade. By 2000 it was estimated that the number of adults using the Internet exceeded 100 million in the United States alone."