This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old February 11th, 2004, 04:23 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newtonian Propulsion Mod!

If you can slow the passage of time you can by default speed it up as well. What screws me over is it says as speed increases..fine, speed relative to WHAT?

If an object is moving away from me at .3C, and I speed up to .4C to catch it, the relative speed is only .1. But speeds are ussually compared relative to the earth, which is of course moving around the sun which is moving around the galaxy, which is..you get the point.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Private

Laitanyel is on a distinguished road

Howie!

New to this place and to the game. Where can I get the Newtonian mod? And are there any other public mods I should get in order to "balance" the game?
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

You can get this mod and SJ's P&N mods at http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/starfury when its up. Right now it appears to be down.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
If you can slow the passage of time you can by default speed it up as well. What screws me over is it says as speed increases..fine, speed relative to WHAT?

If an object is moving away from me at .3C, and I speed up to .4C to catch it, the relative speed is only .1. But speeds are ussually compared relative to the earth, which is of course moving around the sun which is moving around the galaxy, which is..you get the point.
Relative to the observer.
Both your crew, and the people back on earth will see the other group as slowing down.

If you meet each other again, the group that experienced the acceleration of the "turning around" part will be the younger one when you meet.

*SJ reboots imagemodserver*
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Private

Laitanyel is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much!

I've gotten the mod now, and it works fine. However, if I wish to play any other campaign, or create a new one, using Newtonian, is there any way to transfer only the Newtonian parts of the campaign into another, or do I need to re-do the entire thing?
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

At least for the stock campaigns, you will be able to copy the story files over.

I think the critical files to copy over are:
- displaytext
- events
- jobs
- missions
- campaigndata
( Except these lines )
code:
Map Size Width                                      := 2500
Map Size Height := 2500
Map Square Size := 25
Map Scaling Factor := 2.5
Weapon Scaling Factor := 2.0
Job Time Scaling Factor := 2.5

Old May 4th, 2004, 10:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

If you think the lightspeed thing is crazy, think abut this:

If a person i traveling to, say, 2/3 light speed in a direction, and another person is traveling at the same speed (2/3 lightspeed) at the opposite direction, the logic says tha one traveler would see the other travelling at a speed of 4/3 lightspeed in relation with himself, right?

Wrong.

According to the classical theory, no object can travel at greater relative speed from another object that the speed of light.

This is the major flaw in the classical theory of physics, and one of the most striking hints that the faster-than-light speeds is theoreticaly possible...

One real example of faster-than-light relative speed among objects is the light itself, where a light particle (i know that we are still discussing if light is a wave or a particle, but for the sake of this post lets consider it a particle) traveling at the opposite direction of another light particle is with relative speed in relation to the other particle of 2 times the lightspeed.

Quantum physics (that, according to some scientists, only hald a dozen people in the entire world really understant) have several unresolved manifestations that could be only explained with faster-than-light speeds (or at least communication) among particles.

All this that i spoke here have a very long and complicated mathematical representation (that i, myself, don't hope to understand), but the end point is: there are still flaws in the classical physics theory, and one of these flaws might (just might, it's not a proven fact) allow theoreticaly faster-than-light speeds.