BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Mods
Notices

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:20 PM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suhiir's Revised USMC OOB #13

I am definitely interested. I have been overwriting the standard oob with yours since you started. If you don't publish your variant anymore I will probably manually incorporate most the list into mine anyways. I have appreciated your work and hope to see it continue.
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:55 PM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road

Looking at the OOB what is the difference between weapon 25 and 9? They both say M16A4 ACOG.
Old March 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Weapon #09 = Primary Infantry Weapon (used in weapon slot #1)
Weapon #25 = Secondary Infantry Weapon (used in weapon slots 2-4)

Primary Weapons get a modifier to hit based on the number of men in the unit, Secondary do not. Most OOBs use a Primary Weapon as an alternate weapon for things like ATGM teams, but because they are in weapon slot #2 (usually) they have a rather poor base accuracy (1) so they're relatively ineffective. By creating a Secondary Weapon for use in this slot the teams can be semi-useful as infantry.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:41 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Suhiir's Revised USMC OOB #13

When loading out units for a scenario, primary weapons occupy the first weapons slot from the Mobhack Unit tab, and verification of weapon status maybe obtained in the Weapons Class from the Weapons tab. Right?

Now, to load out a unit from the D-key in the Editor, it would be wise to check the Mobhack for primary/secondary weapon status, correct?

This is really good stuff Suhiir, thanks.
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:46 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

the problem is this now needs to be done for every other OOB to keep things even/fair when fighting USMC...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old April 2nd, 2014, 03:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
When loading out units for a scenario, primary weapons occupy the first weapons slot from the Mobhack Unit tab, and verification of weapon status maybe obtained in the Weapons Class from the Weapons tab. Right?
Correct, "Primary Weapons" are Weapon Class 1.

Quote:
Now, to load out a unit from the D-key in the Editor, it would be wise to check the Mobhack for primary/secondary weapon status, correct?
It would be prudent.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old April 2nd, 2014, 03:29 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
the problem is this now needs to be done for every other OOB to keep things even/fair when fighting USMC...
The USMC as a whole tends to emphasize marksmanship more then any national army (of course commando/special forces of any nation are NOT the same as their national army). And unlike most national armies everyone from infantry to cooks to radar technicians must re-qualify every year and failure to do so may well lead to a discharge.

So ... the USMC having a slight advantage over other OOB's doesn't seem unreasonable IMHO.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Suhiir's Revised USMC OOB #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
So ... the USMC having a slight advantage over other OOB's doesn't seem unreasonable IMHO.
The ROK Marines have earned "warrior class" status. The Battle of of Tra Binh Dong in '67 attest to their having earned admiration from the USMC. Here is what Jones shared: "In establishing the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP), Gen James L. Jones frequently recounted his observations of Korean Marines during the Vietnam War. The fact that Republic of Korea (ROK) servicemen were skilled in the Korean martial art tae kwon do was widely known, evoking respect among allies and instilling fear in the enemy. The former Commandant recalled that his own Marines envied this skill, believing the Korean Marines were the most feared adversary on the battlefield and that North Vietnamese soldiers and Viet Cong irregulars would bypass Korean units whenever possible."(citation: LtCol James F. Durand Marine Corps Gazette
July 2005)

IMHO, and I do not differ with Suhiir, not substantially anyway, on markmanship, because truly, the warrior within does not depend on the weapon, but on his mind as echoed in the MCMAP credo: "One Mind, Any Weapon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
the problem is this now needs to be done for every other OOB to keep things even/fair when fighting USMC..
Let me say this, the goal as I understand of the oob's are not to make the game "even" or "fair," or ought not to be IMHOP; further, if we are striving to keep simulation in the game, then we must concede what happens in the real world, all armies are not equal either in equipment or personnel.

Lastly, I'd vote the ROKs right up there with the USMC, they stand shoulder to shoulder.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:08 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Let me say this, the goal as I understand of the oob's are not to make the game "even" or "fair," or ought not to be IMHOP; further, if we are striving to keep simulation in the game, then we must concede what happens in the real world, all armies are not equal either in equipment or personnel. .

Which is why there are variations in the morale and experience ratings of each nation in the game and that's as far as it's going to go

Don
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:17 AM

Lieutenant General

I've worked with ROK Marines a few times and VERY thoroughly believe their unofficial motto "ROK Hard" is well deserved.
I'd say in attitude and training they're easily on par with the USMC, if not a step or two ahead.

While it would certainly be possible to go thru the OOBs and modify and any all such units (SAS, Green Berets, Spetsnaz, the list goes on...) to give them similar slight advantages I'll mention researching and rebuilding the USMC OOB was around 4-800 man-hours of work. Now multiply that by 91 OOB's (seeing as 1, the USMC is already tweaked) and the simple answer is ... it ain't gonna happen.

Now, if it bothers you enough to do ALL the research yourself and create a custom OOB, based on verifiable research NOT "best guess" go for it !