.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 14th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mighty Ai

They actually need to make a MA race called Death that is AI only. To challenge experienced players.

They get ermor death dominion, Vampire queen with 10 dominion, max on every scale, except 3 death. Bane lords would be recruitable commander.

Reamination would not produce ghouls and soulless, but banes, wights, vampires, ghosts. Vampire queen would also start with 10 of every magic, and would be programmed to cast death globals, and dispel any human race globals.

Death would start games with complete line spell research from conjuration and evocation already known.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

That can be done as a mod. You should request it in the mod forum.

Not sure why "Vampire Queen" though. One of the complaints is that the AI sends gods to Arena or into combat. Why not boost a Monolith
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:39 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

it seems to me the only difference when scaling up is the size of the armies you face.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:42 AM

Lieutenant General

Hopefully the developers read these forums also, and can incorporate some of the ideas into future patches.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM

Corporal

Nightblade is on a distinguished road

To improve a bit the pretender from the AI, at least when playing in SP, instead of putting an AI and its difficulty in the setup, you could put only Humans. This way you could design yourself each pretenders you want to fight against with its magic paths, scales and dominion strength.

Then you could just get the nations you are not playing going to "Computer Controlled" in the Options when ingame.
But in that case, as i don't find that information in the manual, what would be the level of difficulty the AI that takes control will use ?
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:08 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

If you switch them to AI from human controlled they're at normal difficulty. Normal is as smart as the AI gets, but they don't get the bonus to stuff that the higher difficulties get (which negates crappy scales anyway).
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road

I believe that levels higher than Normal simply get more design points at the beginning of the game - no improvement to AI (and I don't think they get bonuses to gold or gems or resources in-game, except from the good scales that they can afford and sometimes happen to take). So creating a nation and then setting it to AI control would be essentially fighting Normal opponents who have the advantage of non-random pretender design. Of course there are plenty of other ways to handicap yourself, some mentioned here already.
Xietor, the developers do read these forums, though not as much as some other people. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for official features that could be implemented as mods; improved AI is always appreciated, of course, and may or may not happen, but most of the suggestions here you can do yourself with little effort.

It *would* be interesting to be able to mod the design points that different difficulty levels give you... Even a half-blind lobotomized AI could probably do pretty well with perfect scales and a quadruple bless... Yeowch, that's scary just to think of!
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:17 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

They do get bonuses beyond pretender points - it was covered in another thread on the AI (there have been several). The benefit of a non-random pretender design is of little use compared to the bonuses they get at Impossible. The AI will still research at random, use troops at random, never follow a coherent bless strategy etc. So giving them your idea of a good pretender setup is less likely to increase their difficulty than just throwing bonuses at them.

People ask for a lot of features that can be contained within mods or even already are - just look at some of the nation requests. Improved core AI is not something that can be modded. Giving 'cheating' bonuses to the AI is entirely possible to mod, as has been discussed in the mod forum.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Lieutenant General

Modding is good, but the "official" game should not rely on the players to improve their base product. If simple steps can be taken to improve the AI, it should come as a patch, not as a mod by a player that 1 percent of the player base will download and use.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Sergeant

Nick_K is on a distinguished road

I believe you can setup pretenders in map files, although I've never tried anything like it. Presumably high-difficulty AIs with custom pretencders could be created that way. I still think that giving the human a bad setup might be easier though.

Improvements to the AI would be quite nice. Second to UI improvements IMO, but still quite important. We did see a big jump from doms2 to doms3. The AI is far more effective now.
AI coding is notoriously difficult for complex games and there are generally complaints about AIs for most strategy games. Things that seem obvious to a human can be very difficult to implement without adding new weaknesses for the computer player. There are very few games indeed which actually improve the AI at higher difficulty levels - unless the AI has been deliberately handicapped at lower ones (for instance, in HOMM4 the easy AI cannot use the 'wait' command in battles). Giving them bonuses and occasionally tweaks to aggression seem to be the way things are usually done. I wouldn't complain about the AI 'cheating'... anyway, it's hardly cheating if the human player has specifically requested a harder opponent.

I'd quite like to see some scenario-type map files that can challenge a human player... but most map files are quite large and I dislike playing anything much over 100 provinces so they probably wouldn't be for me.