.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 12th, 2008, 03:18 AM

Sergeant

Kheldron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Global War (full, server up)

I'm not sure if giving a better starting site would be such a good idea.
I mean, if I knew a certain nation had a capital so very plentiful, I would do anything to rush and plunder it, postponing any other feud.
In the case of a game where there are basically 2 groups with neutrals standing alone in between...IMHO as well give a treasure map to everybody and press the "rush & gang el dorado" button.

If the idea behind giving more money and gems to neutrals was giving them a fair start and detering an early rush, give neutrals a band of starting heroes (buyable or national) and equip them with gems or gemproducing items. That would be a good equivalent to +1200 gold and 10 gems of each type imho.
I'd let our moderator decide which heroes and items for that matter.

But since I've never tried anything remotely comparable, that may just be a stupid idea
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:46 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

moderation:

Didn't you have to take MA Arco? I think MA is better anyway in terms of mages [higher astral and natural mind hunters without boosters].

LA Agartha guide
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kheldron said:
I'm not sure if giving a better starting site would be such a good idea.
I mean, if I knew a certain nation had a capital so very plentiful, I would do anything to rush and plunder it, postponing any other feud.
In the case of a game where there are basically 2 groups with neutrals standing alone in between...IMHO as well give a treasure map to everybody and press the "rush & gang el dorado" button.

While this is a danger I don't think it's that much of one. If you consider an average Capital is worth roughly 400 gpt, has average 5 gem income and has a Fort & a lab. All that is being considered is adding an extra 100 +/- a gpt an and extra 2-3 gems per turn.

Quite frankly if you can rush any capital you should. Many peoples strategies will be about doing just that.

The neutrals were told they would get a better starting position. I think giving them at least 100gpt extra plus some extra gems would help do this. They would be boosted against a rush.

I am not sure what can be done without modding their nations - which may not be possible at this point - to give them extra stuff at their starting locations. This would also be needed to give them extra / better starting heroes. Which would have ben a great idea.

If you can still add sites to their starting locations I would do so. This is what I suggest (from the Dom3 database):

For R'yleh: 2 sites already taken
Add a Gold mine (60gpt) site num: 66
Add a Long Lost Circle (1E,1N) site num: 557
-- Less worried about R'yleh due to being the only underwater nation. Both sites are or can be underwater I think and 60 is the most gold that can assuming 'cave' is above water (??) LLC is for Deep Sea but I assume thats where R'yleh starts? You may be able to place locations anywhere regardless of their 'mask' but I'm not sure.

Shinuyama: 1 site already
Add a Great Gold mine (100gpt): site num: 253
Add a Totem Collection (1S, 1N): site num: 301
Add an Enchanted Windmill (1A): site num: 572
Pangea: 2 sites already
Add a Great Gold mine (100gpt): site num: 253
Add a Runaway pit (1E,2S): site num: 274

The Great Gold Mines are 'Mountain' but give the 100 gold in one site. I suspect you can place these anywhere (so you could give this to R'yleh as well) and the location is where they are checked for randomly (???). But I have not done enough modding to know.

Hopefully you can just add these to the map without needing to mod any nations. It fills up the slots for their capitals, so no nice random event finds there, but I think they would rather have them than not

Anyway I don't think these extra sites will make the capital that much more valuable. Capitals simply are very valuable at the beginning. By mid game the number of territories and quality and quality of site finds will far out weigh these start bonuses. The gems are none - core gems for the Neutrals so will help with trading or diversifying rather than boosting their initial strength. But 100 extra gpt will help stop rushes against them.
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Sergeant

Ylvali is on a distinguished road

I would like to change my pretender. I realized I mad a big mistake in the design. Usually uou just connect to the server and re-up him. But when I do that Sauromatia is no longer visible. Can I mail him to CUnknown?

Id like to do this right away if possible. New design is ready and all.

Edit: from what I can deduce, all non MA nations disappeared. My best guess would be inconsistency in the global mod. Has it perhaps been changed since we downloaded it? I guess if the mod on the server and the one on our computer differ in any way that would prevent our puters from recognizing/using it and thus showing us a unmodded MA list of nations.
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

There is no inconsistency in the global.dm. It literally just contains about a dozen lines of code to move nations to the middle age.

The issue is with the way the game handles the mod. It only recognizes the mod sometimes, and it is hard to select nations beyond the defaults because the way it tries to scroll back up. It would and has done this with any mod that moved the nations. The reason this mod was made was to make it easier to scroll to your nation than having to go through 3 ages worth of nations to get to yours.

Velusion solved this by creating 3 different games for all three eras, having people upload, then copy and pasting the pretenders to one folder I believe.

After the game starts, everything should be ok, it seems the issue only has to do with the nation selection screen.
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

E-mailing or using PBEM next time may be a better solution for game like that.

LA Agartha guide
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

So, we're about to start, guys!! Yay!!!!!!

This is what I have given the Neutrals:

Significantly increased capital population.
An extra national commander to start.
A clam of pearls.
+15 PD in their capital province.

So, I think the Neutrals should be happy with their starting position.

I just need to get a couple people's updated pretenders, and then we are starting!

Edit: We have started! So don't use this thread anymore.