.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM

Corporal

qio is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yang: Newbie game EA CoD defaults - New Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by statttis View Post
The default EA magic site setting is 45. Increasing it to 50 or 55 is hardly the same as doubling income.
I never claimed such, nor made any such comparison. Simply stated my preference for modifying the settings. My suggestion is not less valid. If you want I can even pitch quite a few arguments for why my idea is spectacular.

Quote:
Players who take a rainbow pretender and do a lot of site searching will still have the same gem advantage over players who don't. What changes is the base level of gems that players tend to have. In my opinion, the game is more fun when there's more magic being used. But if it's a big deal to you I don't mind playing default settings.
I would prefer the default settings, but the game host or a majority decision will no doubt settle the issue.

If you increase the base level of gems, you do undermine other people that play specific nations or have a specific pretender design. It's not directly a question of comparing the amount of gems that players A and B have, but rather whether player A has enough for his needs. Yes, luck does play a factor in this. Equally, you could argue random events should be disabled.
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:34 AM

Sergeant

statttis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qio View Post
If you increase the base level of gems, you do undermine other people that play specific nations or have a specific pretender design. It's not directly a question of comparing the amount of gems that players A and B have, but rather whether player A has enough for his needs. Yes, luck does play a factor in this. Equally, you could argue random events should be disabled.
I don't understand why one players strategy would be undermined by more gems. If player A needs X gems for something to work, X+10% means it works even better. More gems opens up more strategies, not less. I'm not that concerned about the luck factor, I just think that more gems gives the game more variety, in a way that is lacking with normal settings.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:31 AM

Corporal

Quote:
I don't understand why one players strategy would be undermined by more gems. If player A needs X gems for something to work, X+10% means it works even better. More gems opens up more strategies, not less. I'm not that concerned about the luck factor, I just think that more gems gives the game more variety, in a way that is lacking with normal settings.
If you do not incorporate "site searching" into your design; a larger abundance of gems means that with a bit of luck you can find enough lvl 0 sites by just rapid expansion. The percentages are tilted in that direction. That means you can forge those few items you need to make your SC or thugs viable in the mid and late game. The benefit of good path diversity is less.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

So change your strategy...

It's not as though the game settings wont be known before the start.

No one has Niefel yet anyway
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Well I've dropped from consideration from a team game, and I am about to be double teamed in Rothfuss, so I'd like to get in this as Atlantis if you're allowing water nations, or Arco if you want all land nations.

As far as settings go, I'm personally more in favor of ~60 magic sites, but whatever the host decides.
I know you want to keep stuff simple, but know that you can use specific sections of CBM rather than the whole package. Just using the pretenders and scales can really help diversity without making it too confusing.
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by licker View Post
So change your strategy...
You have an actual point you are trying to make?

Changing the settings affects the game. If it didn't, there wouldn't be any settings.

If you do not care what the settings are, you could be mute on the issue. If you are in favor of some modifications, you could justify the reason for making those; or simply just say what your preference would be. I see neither.

I can give you random advice that has no relevance to the issue. You should eat a lot of fiber. This is pretty much on par with your statement above.
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Well I've dropped from consideration from a team game, and I am about to be double teamed in Rothfuss, so I'd like to get in this as Atlantis if you're allowing water nations, or Arco if you want all land nations.

As far as settings go, I'm personally more in favor of ~60 magic sites, but whatever the host decides.
I know you want to keep stuff simple, but know that you can use specific sections of CBM rather than the whole package. Just using the pretenders and scales can really help diversity without making it too confusing.
Sorry Trumanator, nothing personal. I had the worst starting location possible. Hopefully we won't be neighbors this game.
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM

Private

Quell is on a distinguished road

Sign me up as Caelum please
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qio View Post
If you do not incorporate "site searching" into your design; a larger abundance of gems means that with a bit of luck you can find enough lvl 0 sites by just rapid expansion. The percentages are tilted in that direction. That means you can forge those few items you need to make your SC or thugs viable in the mid and late game. The benefit of good path diversity is less.
qio speaks my mind here. I happen to like (and am used to) rainbow pretenders and I think cranking the magic sites setting nullifies some of their advantages.

My thinking in playing with game defaults is that it is the lowest common denominator and something everyone has probably played with.
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
I happen to like (and am used to) rainbow pretenders and I think cranking the magic sites setting nullifies some of their advantages.
From other earlier discussions people have expressed that diversity is better with more sites as then there is simply more sites to find.

Luck is still always the most significant factor. At a higher ratio you'll see more players who got "lucky" with a good gem economy. I like when there's many contenders for the throne, a higher ratio helps ensure that.

What about random events? Yeah, I think they are a bit problematic too but only in the impact they can have on the early game. They aren't nearly as big a deal as not having found any of the (permanent unlike most minor one-time events) sites that support your nation's magic and they are a great part of the scale economy...

Perhaps we should simply vote?
We are a couple who have expressed a preference for higher site ratio and Just Qio who is strongly against it (on principal reasons?)

Last edited by Redeyes; February 1st, 2009 at 11:05 AM..