Old September 19th, 2003, 11:59 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Star Fury Question, Ask Away

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo:
[QBmusic: .mp3
[/QB]
I've tested .mid and .wav and they work for music files, too. .wav isn't all that useful since it's uncompressed and convertible to MP3, but .mid is handy because they're small, and all you amateur composers out there can go creating music for the game with software like Cakewalk Express without having to worry about digitizing!
Old September 20th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Wydraz:
I plan on making a mod for SF that takes place in a gigantic nebula... I always thought the nebulae in SEIV were way too small. I mean really, most of the ones discovered are larger than a solar system!

I was looking at the screenshots and now I am wondering how many nebula objects can you put in a system before it starts to bog down?
It may be easier to just use one storm/nebula and stretch it out over the entire system...
Perhaps concentric rings of nebulae clouds, so you can vary the density and colour as you approach a protostar at the center?
Old September 25th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Private

it depends is on a distinguished road

{/lurk}

I feel a little foolish, but I can't find the answer by searchin' , so here goes.

I am trying to find a planet say, right at the begining. It's pretty big, big enough to show up on the map, so I tried pointing my ship in the right direction, and right clicking, or using the target anything key, but I couldn't get it. As I drove closer, I could select it, and aim for it.

Ok, so now on my way back, I;m told to return to the space station.... hmmm, I thought it was around Freeport 5, wasn't it? Can't see it on the map, but I'll give it a shot...ah-ha thar' she blows.

So are these both because I have little to nothing in the way of sensor tech installed? I am happy with the second, assuming my sensors consists of a laser pointer and a telescope, and I can live with the first. It would be nice, if in the full game (or one of you wonderful, enterprising, underappreciated modders ) I could select well-known navigational points, like planets, from far away, so I could steer to them easy? Or maybe a little glowing line 'tween the rock and I, when the sector grid is active, to lead my way?

Apologies if this is an oft covered topic, and I must also bring up something I know has been often mentioned......great work, can't wait for the real game to ship out...end of sept still right?
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:18 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

You could also use the system map to find planets. Long Range scanners help increase your range to detect objects like ships to make it easier to find the ones you are looking for...they are the red dots on the mini map on the HUD.
Old October 7th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

I love the demo! What a great game! Thanks for starting this great thread. I have some questions based on the demo; the real thing is in the mail. Let's start with my top 10 issues.

1) Is there any advantage to upgrading a bridge? It seems not. What about upgrading Crew Quarters and Life Support - do higher levels affect crew or repairs or recovery from toxins or anything?

2) Those colored clouds (or are they storms?), do they have any other effects other than obscuring sight and/or sensors? I am thinking about the storms in SE4 where some storms make shields useless, etc. Any storm effects?

3) Is there a damage radius around stars? i.e. you get too close and take damage? Been too chicken to find out.

4) Is there a component that counters the effects of Toxic Injectors? Is this in the demo?

5) I *think* I had a problem upgrading engines. I installed 1 Contra Terrine engine with the remainder as Ion Engines. I *think* the CT engine was downgraded to an Ion engine in a similar fashion to the effect in SE4 where you only get engine bonuses if all engines are the same type (not necessarily same level). I eventually stored CT engines in my cargo area until I could replace them all at the same time. Is this the way it works?

6) What is the exact effect of carrying and/or selling contraband? I was fired upon by friendlies when carrying it. Once I dropped it, they stopped firing on me. If I had sold it, would I have been permanently labeled as a pirate or do the authorities forget about your behavior once you get rid of contaband? Is there a "lawful status" like in Elite? If so, is how do you clean your record? In Elite, you just had to be lawful for a while.

7) I picked up some components that I don't know what they do. They may just be generic cargo for cargo missions. One was an Ice Melter or some such thing. It couldn't be installed on a ship and didn't seem to have any properties. One was a Magnetic Thingamajig; same question. Or are some components only able to be installed on some ships, but not others?

8) I am able to use organic armor. This seems wrong (using SE4 rules) because I am not an organic race. Are there race restrictions and/or special techs that only some races can use?

9) Are there minesweeping components in the full Version? Also, why are mines visible? Again this seems wrong using SE4 rules.

10) What does the "Negotiation" skill do for you? Does it increase profits for selling equipment and for doing missions? Seems worthless because points are better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Thanks in advance. Maybe I'll have more questions later.

Slick.
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Slick:
1) Is there any advantage to upgrading a bridge? It seems not. What about upgrading Crew Quarters and Life Support - do higher levels affect crew or repairs or recovery from toxins or anything?
Not that I've noticed, but I may be wrong on that.

Quote:
2) Those colored clouds (or are they storms?), do they have any other effects other than obscuring sight and/or sensors? I am thinking about the storms in SE4 where some storms make shields useless, etc. Any storm effects?
Again, not that I've noticed, but they may have. I've only just started digging into the data files.

Quote:
3) Is there a damage radius around stars? i.e. you get too close and take damage? Been too chicken to find out.
I don't think so. I've flown pretty close to them, and noticed no ill effects.

Quote:
4) Is there a component that counters the effects of Toxic Injectors? Is this in the demo?
I don't think so, but there are Medical Bays in the full Version that help regenerate crew "damage" faster.

Quote:
5) I *think* I had a problem upgrading engines. I installed 1 Contra Terrine engine with the remainder as Ion Engines. I *think* the CT engine was downgraded to an Ion engine in a similar fashion to the effect in SE4 where you only get engine bonuses if all engines are the same type (not necessarily same level). I eventually stored CT engines in my cargo area until I could replace them all at the same time. Is this the way it works?
I'll have to pass on that question. I haven't been that methodical.

Quote:
6) What is the exact effect of carrying and/or selling contraband? I was fired upon by friendlies when carrying it. Once I dropped it, they stopped firing on me. If I had sold it, would I have been permanently labeled as a pirate or do the authorities forget about your behavior once you get rid of contaband? Is there a "lawful status" like in Elite? If so, is how do you clean your record? In Elite, you just had to be lawful for a while.
The effect is just as you describe it - you get shot at. I don't think the game handles "rep" like Elite did - it's just a "pay as you go" system, with only racial animosities a factor. That is a bit disappointing, IMHO.

Quote:
7) I picked up some components that I don't know what they do. They may just be generic cargo for cargo missions. One was an Ice Melter or some such thing. It couldn't be installed on a ship and didn't seem to have any properties. One was a Magnetic Thingamajig; same question. Or are some components only able to be installed on some ships, but not others?
You picked up leftover cargo from some poor freighter that got bLasted. They aren't components, just stuff. You might try selling them at the next spacedock for salvage.

Quote:
8) I am able to use organic armor. This seems wrong (using SE4 rules) because I am not an organic race. Are there race restrictions and/or special techs that only some races can use?
Nope. Just plug it in and enjoy the bennies.

Quote:
9) Are there minesweeping components in the full Version? Also, why are mines visible? Again this seems wrong using SE4 rules.
No minesweepers, unless you count your PDC's and your front shields. As for mine visibility vis a vis SEIV, it's just the difference between a strategic-eye view and the pilot's-eye view.

Quote:
10) What does the "Negotiation" skill do for you? Does it increase profits for selling equipment and for doing missions? Seems worthless because points are better spent elsewhere IMHO.
According to the manual, it improves your prices at the spacedock, I assume in both buying and selling components and spare cargo. In which case, it is probably worth the points.
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:02 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Slick:
I love the demo! What a great game! Thanks for starting this great thread. I have some questions based on the demo; the real thing is in the mail. Let's start with my top 10 issues.

Well, I can't help you with all of this, but here goes:

1. Not sure
Quote:

I've had some battles in nebulae, and there seems to be no other effects but sight obscuration, and a bit of sensor interference. There don't appear to be any shield damaging effects, or component damage; I fly through them all the time.
Quote:

The only way a star damages you is if you fly into it. After reading your question, I tried it out, and found that you can fly to within 20 ls before you hit the star and die. Maybe if you have enough shielding you could go right through the star, but I wouldn't try it if I were you.
Quote:

Again, I don't know. There doesn't appear to be any component in the demo that mitigates the effects of toxic injectors. However, there could easily be in the full game (which hasn't arrived yet )
Quote:

I'm not sure, but I think you can have however many engines of different types you want and none are downgraded. But I could be wrong. I haven't looked into it.
Quote:

When you pick up contraband, all Terran ships will fire on you, because they assume you are a pirate. If you drop it, you're fine. They'll stop their attack. If you sell it, that is the end of it. You get away with it, and you aren't branded a pirate at all. A "lawful status" is employed to a certain extent. If you fire on a friendly ship, you are going to be attacked by friendlies until their shields regenerate. (I think )
Quote:

The components you describe are just generic cargo for cargo missions. They are only good for selling, or hauling around. There is no use in keeping them, or trying to put them on your ship.
Quote:

Again, I don't have the full Version, but I don't think there are racial traits that affect the type of components you can throw on your ship.
Quote:

Not sure
Quote:

Thanks in advance. Maybe I'll have more questions later.

Slick.

Again, for #10 I don't know. I hope you can find someone else to help you with these questions.

Renegade

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 11th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Brigadier General

Been reading the text files of the demo while I wait for snail mail and have a couple of questions.

In the ship designs file, there is a distinction between inner hull and outer hull (I'm thinking SE3 here). What is the in-game significance and how do you tell which boxes go with inner or outer hull?

Also, in the nebula descriptions, it lists the nebula type as "normal" for all nebulae. What are the other types? Referring to my previous question, are there any damaging, shield-negating, or other special nebuae?

Thanks,
Slick.
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

I only have the demo but had a few questions:

I read on here that you can speed up the game's time base to fly faster between planets, and such. Is this only in the full Version, if not how do I use it?

Is there a way to 'search' for planets or ships? I'm in a mission right now at the start of the demo where I need to protect a ship in a sector. I go into the sector, but who knows where the ship is. Do I just fly around looking for it? Do better sensor help?

Is there a list somewhere of the things that will be fixed changed in the first patch? I have found quite a few bugs in the demo. Most of them have already been reported on here.

One cool idea would be the function to roll-over things in the minimap and have it display what it is.

For those that have the full Version, can you post impressions? I'm really on the fence with this one.
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Brigadier General

Quote:
I read on here that you can speed up the game's time base to fly faster between planets, and such. Is this only in the full Version, if not how do I use it?
"=" speeds the game up.

"-" slows the game down.

Increments are x2, x4 and x8 timescales.

Slick.