Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 13th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Realism vs \"Winning\"

I think he meant that there were only 68 SdKfz 251 APCs in service - not 68,251 of all models of APC.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:10 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

As you may guess form my posts I play as realistic as possible I rarely buy anything less than coy formations. Strangely I play the same as Narwan, PBEM using Italians and Japanese in that order. Nothing is more satisfying than defeating the english Armour with the poorly eqipped italians in the open desert, 8 AT guns per division etc.
I also like to play an unbalanced force by removing all traces of say armour or AA or artillery etc form my purchase.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Corporal

Shan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PatG said:
I think he meant that there were only 68 SdKfz 251 APCs in service - not 68,251 of all models of APC.
LOL - sorry 'bout that, I know I shouldn't enter a discussion if I'm too tired to read properly... oh man!! Now, 68 sounds good, goes together with the production start in '39. Besides, the Germans also used a type of wheeled/tracked APC in small numbers called AGDZ, taken over from Austria. It was a tracked vehicle with similar in shape to SdKfz 250/251 but it hat 4 road wheels outside the tracks that could be lowered for on-road use - a rather strange vehicle, it served with artillery observers mostly.
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Corporal

blitzkreig is on a distinguished road

Shan,

I did only mean "68" Sdkfz 251s. Should have made it a bit more clear! The 250 series didn't enter production until June 1941. One of my favourite referance books for German armoured vehilces is:

Standard Catalog of German Military Vehicles by David Doyle published by KP Books in 2005 isbn 0-87349-783-x.

Its says there were aprox 6000 of the Sdkfz 250 series were made. I'm not sure about the Sdkfz 251 series.

On another realism point though it's really great being able to hammer the other side with loads of artillery fire! Trouble is depending on how big your game is artillery was in realitivly short supply.

If you think that a typical Pz Division had 2-3 artillery Btls of 3-4 batteries, each with 4 guns depending on formation and losses. A btl sized kampfgruppe is therefore unlikley to have it all on call at once! With the exception of pherhaps an assult mission. Larger pieces over 150mm would be Corps assets and would be even rarer.

It reality (at least for German Mechanised forces) you should take 1 forward observer/observation vehicle for each battery taken. This eats up support points but also means the number of batteries you take will probaberly be reduced as well as being realistic. It would be a real headache for one observer to co-ordinate the lot! Todays British Army certinally uses the one observer per battery ratio with the battery commnader taking the role in the "armoured artillery" formations using AS90.

The Germans made up for the "lack of atillery" by the introduction of inf gun units attached to indivudual btls and regiments. The 75mm and to a lesser extent the 150mm sig would be a common sight in a reinforced btl sized kamfgruppe.

Not sure on other nations though, any one any thoughts?

"Boot 'em, don't spatter 'em!" - Heinz Guderian

Ian

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road

I'm playing Soviet long cmapin, an my core force more or less historically correct understrength tank brigade. However I just couldn't resist few cool toys - some KV-2 and T-34-57. Both had seen actual combat, but were exceptionaly few - all(?) KV-2 were lost in first months, and T-34-57 were few and had problems with ammo and cannon barrels.

historical soviet tank brigade 1941:
7 KV-1
22 T-34
10-50 T-60
Mech infantry batallion (introduced later)
ATG battery
AA battery
mortar battery
trucks, armored cars etc.

For now my core is (3/1942)
4 KV-1
3 KV-2 (not historical, should be KV-1)
4 T-34
3 T-34-57 (semi-historical, should be plain T-34)
5 T-60
5 Zis-30 TD (semi-historical, weren't in the the tank brigades)
2 rifle companies
1 eng company
AA battery
SPAA trucks battery
ATG battery
10 120mm mortars (too much for tank brigade)
4 off-board 152mm (attached to brigade from the reserve of the High Command
halftrucks for two infantry companies (not historical)
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:45 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

Hi Blitzkreig
As far as I know the German and British armies are very specific in the allocation of divisional artillery. You rank(ie formation size) determines how much of the divisional artillery you will have at your disposal. The limit is one artillery battalion for one infantry/armoured battalion if you want more you will have to resort to your formations organic artillery. The one army I believe that doesnt abide by these limits is the US army. For the organic artillery within a formation a coy will have the coy mortars and the regiment will have the regimental "infantry gun" company. Because of command and control constraints one regiment is very unlikely to use another regiments IGs, one coy is very unlikely to use another coys mortars etc.
So assuming a 3 coy/bat 3 bat per regiment formation, in a regimental attack you will have all the divisions guns available plus your regiments IGs plus 9 sets of coy mortars.
For a coy attack you will have your coys mortars and possibly the regimental guns
For a battalion attack 3 mortar coys, regimemtal guns and 1 divisional artillery battalion.
Corps level artillery is usually busy with counterbattery, long range sniping or interdiction. though as you mention it can appear in assaults on either side.
I agree that it would be nice if some of these constraints could be worked into the game
Best Regards Chuck.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Private

badger45 is on a distinguished road

You must take into account, that the front battle formations (which you play) are given ALL of the supporting artillery of the division. Thus if division attacks with say 4 battalions ahead, and you play as a battalion commander, you should take one fourth of divisional artillery. In assault missions it can be easily three times more, because of non-divisional assets (hope germans had some, at least the russians did). This way the proportion of artillery to units/tanks is much higher, than one would expect, as it is normal, that one or two thirds of division are out of contact with enemy. Arty due to its long range can support all the time with all the tubes, if you don'lack ammo. The proportion thus runs two to three times than expected, and you still count just divisional assets. In modern era soviet army (which is undergunned compared to ww2, due to larger calibre, efectiveness and so on) a battalion in attack is supported by battalion of artillery (4 bat. divisional attack - and division has 4 artillery battalions), not counting its own mortars and possible use of non-divisional assets. Thus as a rule, I am accustomed to, I use battery/company rule of thumb to create my core.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Corporal

Chuck,

I've been doing some reading on the North West Europe front and what you've said ties in with that. The US Army seemed to have a more artilery avaiable per BG sized formation than you could shake a stick at.

I was interested to note several books making the point that the US and British armies relied on artillery and airpower to suppress German formations as a way of making up for a lack of "aggressive" spirit in their combat units. Not surprising really when you had guys in the British Army who had been fighting for five or more years.

Some authors claim this contributed to the prolonging of the war as allied artillery ammo consumption was crazily high in late 1944 adding to supply problems before the opening of Antwerp port.

Ian

Ian

Old May 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Corporal

A quick realism question aimed at the designers/DRG/Mobhack really.

Some folks seem to be more concerned about accuracy of the oobs than others. It's a great game and is meant to be fun after all. Is this strive for oob accuracy of interest to you or just a pain in the ***? There is modhack after all.

I'd imagine most of your time is taken with the nuts and bolts of how the game actually works! Is it worthwhile for people to be constantly noting errors in the oobs? If it is how much evidence/sources do you want/need to jusdtify a change?

What do fellas think?

Thanks for your ongoing hard work

Ian

Old May 17th, 2007, 01:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I have no problem with discussions on OOB accuracy. If people can come up with new information that works with the game system and improves the game I will always consider making changes. The same applies to info on individual weapons or units. If, for example, we have a weapon with a penetration number too high or too low then by all means let us know but supply supporting documentation. *IF* we agree we will make the change. Some suggestions however, ignore the reality of game system itself either though ignorance of how the game is put together or simply because they don't like how the game currently models "reality" and want it done a different way usually ignoring the number of man hours required to make a fundamental change in the game and the possible spin off affects in different areas. THOSE are a PITA mainly because the end result on game play does not even come close to justifying the work involved.

As you say, there is MOBHack and a copy of that comes with every game because we know that no matter what we do SOMEBODY will find something they don't like and think should be different.

Both Andy and I are currently on "sabbatical". Occasionally we may answer questions but we both need a change of scenery that does not involve a computer monitor.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....