.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Djinnibad - Nomads and Genies

The Marid may live in the oceans and seas (although I think that's a back-formation from the greek Marine, and nothing to do with the arabic meaning Rebellious), but they are definitely *composed* of smokeless fire, like all the djinn.

Abysians are all originally of one type but now come in several varietals, I don't see why Djinn couldn't be the same way.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I've started the preliminary work on sprites. I'll base them on the white-garbed main character of the DOS prince of persia. White shirt, long pants and dark skin - what else? Dark brown/black hair? Sleeves or not? I'll try different versions for swords and spears. Should the spears be straight or curved? Curved swords would be based on C'tis/Kailasa swords.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

To Endoperez:
What in Hell do you mean by curved spears??? Glaives/naginatas have their own name and in any case shouldn't be in use by nomads who, after all, invented halberd (well, will invent in this case )!
Also, I, for myself, would prefer long puffy sleeves, or, even better, actual long robes. Sleeveless jackets were in use, as I understand, only by Corsairs and similar types, who will appear only in MA (or even LA)... And iirc PoP1 also contained opponents with spears, etc.
To DrPraetorius:
As I've said, it's even closer to Vans/Thuatha or Yavana. Actually, Peri and similar types would probably be similar to the latter in possessing Awe...
To Aezeal:
As for Shaitan - such can be e.g. Blood summons. But I agree that they can appear at M/LA.
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

nomad
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...n_timbuktu.jpg

http://dlibrary.acu.edu.au/research/...mages/Arab.jpg

http://www6.worldisround.com/photos/26/17/74_o.jpg

that sort of thing is what I was thinking about.. and the dervish similar but in black

Hey Wrana how about you start with MA graphs you could later take the nomads from this mod once endo is done.

You could do the things you said for MA

assassin, spear infantry (non-nomad) cavalry (non-nomad, medium/heavy)
etc etc

we could make all genies capital only, or just remove the marid Wazirs and Efriti Sultans are recruitables and make them summons. (and make more and more powerfull human mages, who now work together with the remaining Efriti and Marid, they'd still be sacred I'd guess)
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Lieutenant General

PS endo you can do scimitars are you like of course I did them as you can see on my genies.

PS I'll show my sola too

Attached Images
File Type: gif 596262-genies.gif (10.7 KB, 112 views)
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Major

On photos - fine, but the 3rd just gives some stupid banner. If I'll have free time while at work I may scan some images I have... actually you may see some at:
http://vendel.7thsea.ru/upload/MARKOV-PICS.rar
That's for now mostly Russian units for use of an artist mentioned previously, but some Arabs/Turks are there. Most pictures are from Markov's "History of the Cavalry", 1899 or somesuch.
On MA, etc. Well, it seems that Bogarus mod is working now & I will need some testing on it & graphics in any case. So I'll probably make some in a few days. I'm not through Shah-name still, though... And don't expect fine graphics from me in any case. Stats & descriptions arew another matter..
And yes, at MA I like what they did with monkey people - namely move their celestial masters from recruitables to summons. So I plan something similar.
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Iwas thinking of this as the base nomad warrior, actually the only nomad warrior only he'd come mounted too... not much variaty except for the dervish who would be similar, but with ambidexterity and 2 saif's and maybe a iron cap and full leathers oreven chain shirt.

#newmonster 2807
#spr1 ""
#spr2 ""
#name "Nomad warrior"
#descr "The nomadic inhabitants of the deserts have these warriors as first line of defense. Every male nomad has a sword, without sword no pride, and will defend what belongs to him if needed. Nomads day to day live is ruled by their own sheiks, who are adviced by nomad wazirs. Nomads consider all genies sacred, and above the human sheiks are the genies and their nobles who rule the nomad sheiks as a king rules his lords."
#hp 11
#size 2
#ressize 2
#prot 0
#mor 9
#mr 12
#enc 2
#str 10
#att 11
#def 12
#prec 10
#mapmove 2
#ap 14
#gcost 10
#rcost 0
#armor 1 -- Buckler
#armor 5 -- Leather Cuirass
#weapon 800 -- Scimitar
#wastesurvival
#end
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Lieutenant General

PS I think ti would be nice to have a cross over with C'tis in MA and LA, since both races perfer heat +1.. maybe some lizards moved from their lands and settled in Djinnibad (disagreement with politics, prefer desert to marsh due to genetic variation)

and then have 1-2 lizard troops in the army, nothing special bu maybe use them as heavy infantry instead of humans.
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

On the scimitars thing, curved swords (sabres) were inherited from the Mongols. Generally, they were introduced in the East and moved West over time (on the backs of the invaders)

Tulwar - India - 13th century
Kilij - Turkey - 15th century
Shamshir - Persia - 16th century
Saif - Arabia - 16th century
Nimcha - Morocco - 17th century
Pulwar - Afghanistan - 19th century (!)

However, from a fantasy standpoint, scimitars completely fit the theme.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Major

To sector24:
I don't remember details now (& am not sure about Mongol origins), but it's possible that curved sword existed in the region earlier. After all, ancient Persians had extensive contact with Greeks who DID use such (though closer to yataghan design)!
Certainly, swords from Stambul museum attributed to Mohammed the Prophet have straight long blades, relatively narrow. With their current hilts they are closer to 18-19th century cavalry broadsword than to scimitars as we know them.
Also, sabres are different weapons, with straighter blades, different balance & form of hilt guard. Polish ones are really inherited from Tartar mercenaries' curved swords, but about Hungarian ones I'm not sure. They could bring them with themselves from steppes or adapt some design of Balcanian curved sword...
And yes, they are thematic, so they would appear sooner rather than later, but from my point of view, not on baseline infantry (mostly spears) or non-archer cavalry (light lances - though it's a pity that the game doesn't allow for usage of different weapons by the same units, for Persian Pehlevans (Knights) were attributed to ride into combat "bearing 14 kinds of weapons" as a rule! ).
To Aezeal:
I don't think morale 9 is good idea, while cost is too low even if we take it into account (I still don't think that 11-12 stats are appropriate for commoners, m.b. just higher defense, which will get along nice with light encumbrance)... On description - if you would use word saif, it should be noted here somewhere that such is their name for curved sword. Or probably just use commonly known word scimitar. For commoner warrior of the period I would probably just use robes instead of body armor - thematic & cheap. Also, probably mounted troops should be cheaper than with others, in description it can be mentioned that they breed the best horses & so are able to field cavlry cheaper or somesuch.
On MA - I think nation name should become either Xanadu (though the poem about it actually refers to Khubilaj-khan, ruler of Mongolian dynasty, but it's known as a symbol of Eastern opulence...) or Khaleb (which was used in Persian tales as equivalent of "long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away"... ), with a subttitle of "Flower of Desert" or "City of 1001 delights". LA should probably be named either Magrib (which was usually used as land of origins of black sorcerers) or something like Sultanapur. What anybody think? Military engine I would send about tomorrow, I still need to think up some details, but it should include both light nomadic lancers and heavier troops of Turkish likeness (maybe the latter shouldn't get fireres?). Hashishiin, sure. Maybe some kind of infantry will begin to use halberd at the time...