winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 5th, 2020, 03:23 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Off-Topic

I hate to ask this here, but I am getting a bit anxious.
Regarding the Shrapnel Games released game Approaching Infinity. There was a patch available few months ago which removed the DRM from it (which for me was a surprise it even existed).
The problem is that not only is the game's page on Shrapnel Games not available any more, there is no other published (that I know of) way of getting said or any other, patch.
I asked in two different game specific threads, no answer for days. I mentioned it in a third one, nothing. There is no support email or online form to contact Shrapnel, only way I see is either through the forum or by the storefront account.

Obviously this is not a Camo Workshop issue at all, but I am running out of ideas here.
Perhaps Shrapnel Games and the game developer are no longer together, fine. But to not have access to the patch or at least a link to someone who does, that is at the very least, stupid.
And now during the summer sale. I think you know what I mean with this.

I am glad the camo workkshop is nothing like that.
Old July 5th, 2020, 02:47 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Off-Topic

All I can think of is to try and contact the developer at the Steam page for the game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...hing_Infinity/
Old July 5th, 2020, 04:03 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Nephthys View Post
All I can think of is to try and contact the developer at the Steam page for the game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...hing_Infinity/
The game shown on Steam has a in development label and is out on August. I don't know if that affects anything.
The thing is, even if the developer makes more things with their game, update/upgrade/whatever and releases it on another platform, the game I bought, I bought from here. What could possibly be the reason to not provide access to the patch here?
Or even a message from Shrapnel saying, contact the developer.
Frankly, if not for Camo Workshop history, how should I think for this publisher/shop?
My hope is that it is just a technical issue on Shrapnel's side and their tech guy is away on vacation or something.
Else it is just disgusting.
Old July 5th, 2020, 06:59 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I would stick a post in Shrapnel General asking what's going on.
Old July 6th, 2020, 07:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

This is what I am told

Quote:

We contacted everyone who legally owned the game and gave them 2 months to download the patch. We no longer have the rights to this game and have no rights to the game, patches, etc. If people contact customer support, and some have, we put them in contact with the developer.
That ends my involvment in this

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old July 6th, 2020, 10:35 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
This is what I am told

Quote:

We contacted everyone who legally owned the game and gave them 2 months to download the patch. We no longer have the rights to this game and have no rights to the game, patches, etc. If people contact customer support, and some have, we put them in contact with the developer.
First of all, DRG, thank you. The following isn't a reply to you.

I don't appreciate the "legally owned" part, but I will skip it.
I checked my emails.
On the 18th of May I received such email. I didn't pay attention to it. In my defense I never in the about quarter of a century I have email accounts ever before received an email telling me of patches stop being available after some time. Even when a company goes out of business, the patches still remain available either in some FTP server or 3rd party sites. Absurd to say the least.

I don't know if I will contact support. IIRC I kept buying the games (bought more than one over the years) with guest accounts because I hate to create accounts. Yes it would take me like 2 minutes, I know.

I am pissed off with the whole thing and seriously considering just never buying anything from either Shrapnel or Ibology. If they can't be bothered to have a file available for download, why should I bother with buying anything from them again.

Never in my life have I experienced something like this before. Even when developers/game series jump ship to other companies, you get to download patches for as long as the companies exist. Hell, I know of companies which went out of business and still somehow there were servers available for the games they published.

Mind boggling.

I don't plan on posting anything again about this matter.
Disgusted and Camo Workshop is not at fault for anything.
Thanks for your tolerance.
Old July 6th, 2020, 11:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
This is what I am told

Quote:

First of all, DRG, thank you. The following isn't a reply to you.

I don't appreciate the "legally owned" part, but I will skip it.
I checked my emails.
On the 18th of May I received such email. I didn't pay attention to it. In my defense I never in the about quarter of a century I have email accounts ever before received an email telling me of patches stop being available after some time. Even when a company goes out of business, the patches still remain available either in some FTP server or 3rd party sites. Absurd to say the least.

I don't know if I will contact support. IIRC I kept buying the games (bought more than one over the years) with guest accounts because I hate to create accounts. Yes it would take me like 2 minutes, I know.

I am pissed off with the whole thing and seriously considering just never buying anything from either Shrapnel or Ibology. If they can't be bothered to have a file available for download, why should I bother with buying anything from them again.

Never in my life have I experienced something like this before. Even when developers/game series jump ship to other companies, you get to download patches for as long as the companies exist. Hell, I know of companies which went out of business and still somehow there were servers available for the games they published.

Mind boggling.

I don't plan on posting anything again about this matter.
Disgusted and Camo Workshop is not at fault for anything.
Thanks for your tolerance.
First, despite saying I am done with this I guess I need to point out a few obvious points

1/ Shrapnel..... "no longer have the rights to this game and have no rights to the game, patches, etc. "

That should be clear enough so it may not be your experience that this happens but IT HAPPENED and....

2/ "On the 18th of May I received such email. I didn't pay attention to it. "

Don't blame others for your error.

Shrapnel was given 2 months to make the patch available and they did but you chose to ignore it. Now they no longer have rights to the game and patches so the game and patches are not available through Shrapnel and this was at Ibology's request so now you're pissed off and "Disgusted" because you ignored Shrapnel's email so your issue is not with Shrapnel as they have said "If people contact customer support, and some have, we put them in contact with the developer."

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; July 6th, 2020 at 11:33 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: